Terra Cruisers FJ-43 Review and Lessons Learned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I can get 10-20k miles out of this engine, that would be good enough as I would love to eventually swap it out for the Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel.

Please don't destroy another 40 with the (IMHO) POS R2.8. If you want a diesel, you already have engine mounts and the input shaft on gearbox for a 1HD-### engine.

Issue 15: Door pull failed again. Looking online at PartSouq.com - it appears that the OEM pull has a metal insert to reinforce the pull handle. Since my current ones dont have that, I am assuming they are not OEM pulls.

View attachment 2384367

Solution 15 rev 2: I ordered new OEM pulls ($12 each) from PartSouq. These were 1000x nicer and stronger than the one that were installed by the builder.

Uh....no. 1 quart over the 7500 mile factory oil change interval maybe. 1 quart over 2000 miles is bad, 1 quart over 1000 miles is terrible.

Also, didn't realize this truck had a 1FZ-FE in it. That's pretty cool.

True but the FSM believe it or not states a quart every 750 is acceptable.

Cheers

Was there suppose to be a question with this?

Sorry, my bad, but thanks for asking...I started to ask a question, then realized the answer was there all along...too late, somehow, to delete.

My own BJ43 is about two weeks from going into the container for shipping to the US...slightly different situation than your vehicle, but I've found your thread interesting, and a bit of a useful reality check for some/much/part of what lies ahead for me, too. Thanks for putting this where we can all see it.

What page/section?
True but the FSM believe it or not states a quart every 750 is acceptable.

Cheers

Really? What section/page? I'll have to look that up in my 97 FSM.

What page/section?

Really? What section/page? I'll have to look that up in my 97 FSM.

Don’t recall and the search on my FSM doesn’t bring it up. If you search the forum though you will find many threads on it.

It’s not very acceptable to me, I was just saying. Grade, type of oil and driving style plays a role as well.

Cheers

Update: Did a one hour interstate trip and it did well. Average cruising speed was 75 mph will a few stints over 80. Actually passed up a Porsche.:happy:

On the way home, I got caught in a downpour and I realized that I had never tested the windshield wipers. :nailbiting: At first they were barely moving, but after a few minutes, they started working better. I think the windshield was just not wet enough at first. When I got home, I checked them out and realized that the wipers have a lot of spring force pushing them against the glass but work fine as long as they are wet. When dry, they move real slow regardless of the speed they are on.

Issue 32: Since I changed the oil, I now have a slow oil drip coming from the corner of my oil pan (one to two drops while cooling down then it stops). There is some sealer already gunked on at that spot so I suspect TC had the same problem during testing and did not address it correctly.

Solution 32: TBD. I will get it address at the 3000 mile checkup.

It’s pretty light and in inch pounds for the cork gasket. A Jim C tip is to give it another quarter of a turn.
A few were pretty loose but not the ones around the drip. Also, the bolt closest to the drip is one size larger than the rest. They must have overtightened it and then had to drill and retap it.

It’s pretty light and in inch pounds for the cork gasket. A Jim C tip is to give it another quarter of a turn.

OP has a 1FZFE in the 40. No cork gasket in this engine, oil pan is sealed with FIPG. Still could be a loose bolt and the torque value is something around 15 ft-lbs on the bolts.

Last edited:
NP. I found it in the service manual.

Just realized that the flywheel inspection cover it also missing. :mad: Might to have to fab one from scratch as all the sites I found that list it say it has been discontinued.

90950-01803

Readily available from any Toyota parts department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom