Tent cots, what do you think?

Pacer

Keystone Cruiser
GOLD Star

I like mine just fine.
Not much better solution for solo car camping.
Up off the ground is great.
I get a fair bit of condensation on the ceiling by morning, but not if I sleep with the Ryobi fan on low 🤓

They keep you dry!

They are a bit claustrophobic inside and don't ventilate all that well.
I think Crusha is over his.

They take up a LOT of room on top of all my gear in the back of the truck.

You can borrow mine sometime.

I always preferred a ground mat and a decent sleeping bag/tent combo. I used to do a fair amount of backpacking and just prefer that stuff over anything at this point, just my opinion.

Hammock and trees with tarp. I think it's more comfortable than the ground.

I made mounts off the side off my 80. One with a pry bar off my front bumper one with my cheater bar off my rear. Can hang off the side of my 80. Only used it once still working on it.

mryanangel

SILVER Star
I use all sorts of setups, RTT, hammocks, ground tents and now a couple of Aussie swags. I am a big fan of the swags, just unroll them and put the little poles in and you’re ready for bed. I have a crash pad single swag and a 23Zero double swag.

Last edited:

Crusha

Self-censoring my mud posts...
SILVER Star
I’ve had mine for about six years, and I loved it up until our last Colorado trip. I started to feel very claustrophobic in it. Never had an issue with this ever before.

It's easy to set up and take down, but it does take up a lot of space.

mryanangel

SILVER Star
A swag is a traditional Aussie camp setup. The original designs were little more than a canvas sack with a piece of foam that you unroll and slide into. There currently are a number of good quality manufactures that have added a few poles to the setup to make it more of a swag tent. Super fast to setup and take down, you can keep you sleeping bag or blankets rolled up inside when packing up.

RWBeringer4x4

Mechanically Challenged
SILVER Star
A swag is a traditional Aussie camp setup. The original designs were little more than a canvas sack with a piece of foam that you unroll and slide into. There currently are a number of good quality manufactures that have added a few poles to the setup to make it more of a swag tent. Super fast to setup and take down, you can keep you sleeping bag or blankets rolled up inside when packing up.

Kind of reminds me of a bivvy sack...but roomier...

I just use my hiking setup for everything - my hiking pack has a sleeping bag, blow up air pad, tent, mess kit, stove, etc. It weighs 20lbs, sleeps and feeds 2 comfortably and I can just toss it in the back of the 40 when it’s go time.

It’s not the lap of luxury but it gets the job done - unless you get drunk and leave all the flaps open in a rain storm like I did at Fall Crawl. ;)

2F2B6178-16AF-4212-9BC0-11AF7896BD3F.jpeg

Last edited:

LDowney

Ive been kicking around the idea of getting a double tent cot all for my self. :) Some people have them and I want your feed back.
Andy,
I got mine for the Alaska trip and it was fantastic on that trip. I did not encounter any issues feeling tight on space or excessive condensation by morning. It is bulky and a pain to store in/on the vehicle, but I would not describe it as heavy. In Alaska, I found the space under the cot a great place for my gear bags and wet/muddy shoes, because it was very handy for access without getting it inside the tent. My complaint is with the pad; the main under floor cross bar constantly communicated its presence all night long. When I used the tent cot at GSMTR a couple of years back, added two roll-up exercise foam pads for the trip and they did the trick ... no communication from the bar.

Good luck

2mountainfish

NOTW
SILVER Star
I love my double. I only use it a couple times a year but it’s way more comfortable sleeping off the ground. I am 58 and sleeping on the ground does not enhance the experience 😁. Use it every year at King of Hammers.

1AF48137-574A-40D5-89E6-31B229AF2D16.jpeg

2mountainfish

NOTW
SILVER Star
I Like the poles that hold the door up, mine does not do that but I bet I can buy some generic poles and make it work

Crusha

Self-censoring my mud posts...
SILVER Star
I bought an Exped Megamat pad for mine.

Eliminates the crossbar issues, very comfortable.

Top Bottom