Teaser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eric-

Very nice haul!! I am certainly envious!!

Question: what winch rope did you get (company/cost/length/rating) and is that a thimble on the end?

Eric-

Very nice haul!! I am certainly envious!!

Question: what winch rope did you get (company/cost/length/rating) and is that a thimble on the end?

Next question. I was told i should not use rope on my 12k lb winch because of cooling and crushing. I was told the cable acts as a heat sink and allows the winch motor to cool. I was also told that the rope can crush the winch drum. I would like to use rope on mine so I hope I the info I received was incorrect or dated...

Thanks, great lookin stuff

Viking Line, 90' @ 3/8" thickness. Yep, safety thimble on the end. I think that's the best way to go.

I was told i should not use rope on my 12k lb winch because of cooling and crushing.

I haven't heard this before from anyone, so I didn't even look into it. Anybody else have input on this issue?

PS- I should also take some time to give some praise to Slee Offroad (again). Once more, my order was expertly dealt with, both before and after the sale. Everything was shipped correctly (including extras) and in a timely fashion.

most excellent

:smokin:

congrats on the purchase...I'm looking forward to seeing it all in place. :cheers:

] on a 12K T-Max on my 40.

Polak- how do you like your 12k T-max? I've heard both good and bad about them, thought I'd take a chance and get one. Honestly, my budget didn't allow for a larger Warn winch.

does your wife still live with you?;)

She's not thrilled, nor does she 'understand', but she is understanding of it.

When are you going to make T-case skid plates? I'll bring my rig out for measurements. You should see the rear bumper Jim... it's a thing of beauty!

Next question. I was told i should not use rope on my 12k lb winch because of cooling and crushing. I was told the cable acts as a heat sink and allows the winch motor to cool. I was also told that the rope can crush the winch drum. I would like to use rope on mine so I hope I the info I received was incorrect or dated...

Most winches use a drum brake which will create heat on the drum when winching OUT and using the winch stop or slow the pull. If you do quite a bit of winching outward you could create enough heat to damage a synthetic rope in theory. When winching IN there should be very little if any heat created on the drum and heat will not be an issue.

That is how it was explained to me by a synthetic line producer. Some syn line companies provide heat resistant line for the first wrap or two on the drum.

mine was dropped off at 1 in the afternoon, had it installed by dinner. Haven't been that giddy since I was 12 and got my Robinson BMX bike.

I love the gawking the white fendered fords give me around here. You can almost hear them say "damn!, that's sick!" I know I can read lips now....

I'm saving up for the winch and a lift next. I want that hawse too.

Polak- how do you like your 12k T-max? I've heard both good and bad about them, thought I'd take a chance and get one. Honestly, my budget didn't allow for a larger Warn winch.

She's not thrilled, nor does she 'understand', but she is understanding of it.

When are you going to make T-case skid plates? I'll bring my rig out for measurements. You should see the rear bumper Jim... it's a thing of beauty!

bring it!!!!!

For the $ I can't see it getting better, but I got a special deal. It's a T-Max 11K but rated to 12K:confused:
I latched onto T-Max on the coat tails of their sponsorship to fellow cruiserhead and rock crawler Spaceghost, so I got a smokin' deal.

Real world action: It's slow, I mean slow! Also it builds up a lot of heat. I had a Warn 8000I before the T-Max so it was IMO only a step up in lb rating. The winch is 5 years old. I haven't seen the new stuff from T-Max, but when I get my "Short Bus" bumper I'll be shoppin' around for a winch.

This thread is pretty funny. I am supposed to get a few boxes in the next week, will have to post up pics for you all to guess :)

Im Waaaay jelous, Im thinking the same setup.

Good choice!

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

ken

For the $ I can't see it getting better, but I got a special deal. It's a T-Max 11K but rated to 12K:confused:
I latched onto T-Max on the coat tails of their sponsorship to fellow cruiserhead and rock crawler Spaceghost, so I got a smokin' deal.

Real world action: It's slow, I mean slow! Also it builds up a lot of heat. I had a Warn 8000I before the T-Max so it was IMO only a step up in lb rating. The winch is 5 years old. I haven't seen the new stuff from T-Max, but when I get my "Short Bus" bumper I'll be shoppin' around for a winch.

Polak, if your T-max is 5 years old then it probably has a different motor than the one that Doc got, the new T-max/Summit have the 6.6 hp motor...though i cannot say anything about line speed

barrypt5

I dropped the winch into the shortbus bumper last night, put the fairlead on and removed the wire rope from the winch. I'd have the syn rope on the winch now, but the screw to attach the syn rope is not long enough, have to head to the hardware store for a 19 cent screw before I can spool the rope.

Now I just need to get the stock bumper off.

I dropped the winch into the shortbus bumper last night, put the fairlead on and removed the wire rope from the winch. I'd have the syn rope on the winch now, but the screw to attach the syn rope is not long enough, have to head to the hardware store for a 19 cent screw before I can spool the rope.

Now I just need to get the stock bumper off.

Just don't get one too long!

barrypt5 said:
Polak, if your T-max is 5 years old then it probably has a different motor than the one that Doc got, the new T-max/Summit have the 6.6 hp motor...though i cannot say anything about line speed

barrypt5

Very true. That's why I state that I hadn't seen the new stuff from T-Max. I couldn't see them staying in businees w/o improving the product.

I HATE that the drum screws never work with the synth...I, along with everyone else I know with rope, have had to do the same thing.

Hopefully I'll be able to get this on tomorrow.

DSC01168.jpg

DSC01169.jpg

DSC01172.jpg

dead sexy. the rope looks pimp. let us know as soon as you have some feedback on the winch!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom