Teaser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you remove the Summit sticker from the left side of the winch?

:D if so that is what i was thinking about doing

barrypt5

Did you remove the Summit sticker from the left side of the winch?

Yes, it was peeling off already. You can clearly see where the T-max sticker WAS, then Summit peeled it off, and slapped their sticker on top of the gooey residue.

I took some acetone to the goo and cleaned it up.

I need to get some longer winch power lines, as I am remote mounting the solenoid box in the engine bay.

I may not get that on today, we got 13" of snow last night and I'm exhausted from shoveling. I'm going to try to get it on there though.

this is where I get confused....

OK for the shortbus bumper that you have the winch bolts vertically to the bumper (do the bolts face down toward the road)? Where on an ARB (hopefully someone can chime in since Doc does not have an ARB) the bolts face parallel to the road? Am I thinking about this correctly? Is there some modification that needs to take place so everything on the winch is still facing the correct direction? I hate to ask this question but it seems every winch pic I see just does not show the angle that I am asking about... :eek: :confused: :doh:

I am prepared :lol:

barrypt5

OK for the shortbus bumper that you have the winch bolts vertically to the bumper (do the bolts face down toward the road)? Where on an ARB (hopefully someone can chime in since Doc does not have an ARB) the bolts face parallel to the road? Am I thinking about this correctly? Is there some modification that needs to take place so everything on the winch is still facing the correct direction? I hate to ask this question but it seems every winch pic I see just does not show the angle that I am asking about... :eek: :confused: :doh:

I am prepared :lol:

barrypt5

The winch can be physicaly bolted down in any of the planes that would have it parallel to the front of the truck so the line plays out toward the front. The strength of the mount will change but the winch will physically be able to do it. The way it is mounted in the ARB is the strongest as the force under use pulls the winch into the front of the bumper from the backside and does not put much load on the bolts. But mounting the bolts perpendicular to the road is acceptable when the proper grade of hardware is used. One factor is the location of the clutch lever being accessablewhen the winch is installed. Some ARB bumpers require the clutch lever be "clocked" or spun and repositioned so that it is accessable once fully monted. It could be safely mounted upsidedown with the right hardware but in most all instances that would be unpractical. Having the winch mounting bolts parallel to the ground and facing the opposite direction the winch line will be used in would be unacceptable and unsafe as that puts an huge inline load on the bolts and could easily strip the threads and rip the winch out.

Oh, Doc that is a beatiful setup can't wait to see it installed.:cheers:

Just a FYI on the winch mount. It is not allowed to mount a Warn M12k or bigger with the feet down. It has to face mount, with or without the optional feet mount.

I am not sure what the case is with the 12k Mile Marker.

I am not sure what the case is with the 12k Mile Marker.

That would be a good question to ask of the folks at T-max, I may shoot them an e-mail on that subject.

Hopefully I'll be able to get this on tomorrow.

DSC01168.jpg

DSC01169.jpg

DSC01172.jpg

sexy bitches right there.

looks gooood. That rope will never be that neat again! :)

I need to get some longer winch power lines, as I am remote mounting the solenoid box in the engine bay.

The only way to go IMO.

BTW, send some of that snow over here, I need the $!

The only way to go IMO.

BTW, send some of that snow over here, I need the $!

Is the reason to put the solenoid box in the engine bay mainly for tamper resistance?

barrypt5

what do you plan on putting onto the end of that rope?

Is the reason to put the solenoid box in the engine bay mainly for tamper resistance?

Hmm, hadn't thought about it from that angle. Sure! My main reason was for salt avoidance. They salt the roads here like no other. That's the same reason I went with a synthetic rope and the thimble (although, the thimble is a good safety feature as well as being rust proof).

what do you plan on putting onto the end of that rope?

The Thimble? It's made to accept a shackle. I ordered a bunch at the same time as the rope. Or do you mean a Jeep?

I got this far yesterday before having to stop to feed the child. Almost there!

DSC01187.jpg

I got this far yesterday before having to stop to feed the child. Almost there!

I don't envy you with all that snow. Our high is 78 today. :flipoff2:

If you didn't plan on it already I would reccomend completely covering all the cable connections at the winch motor with clear silicone to fight all that salt induced corrosion.

Pay off:

ih8mud1.jpg

ih8mud2.jpg

ih8mud3.jpg

ih8mud4.jpg

ih8mud5.jpg

ih8mud6.jpg

ih8mud7.jpg

Jeez now I'm jealous nice looking rig Doc. Awesome job. Glad to see I'm not the only one whos sportin rust on the axles. All those guys who are scared of rust are girly men. Let it snow let it snow.

That looks flat out awsome!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom