Tailgate question 87' pickup (lock?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone hear of an aftermarket lock mechanism for my 87' pickup tailgate? I have locking cap and would like to lock tailgate too.

Thanks

Ken

I have seen aftermarket ones for the Tacomas but not for older trucks.

Your cap should cover the top of the tailgate a bit to give some security from the casual passerby snatch-and-grab.

You could always pull the cover plate off and either disconnect the linkage for the strikers or rig something up to immobilize it when you dont need the tailgate to open:meh:

Last edited:
Ok, I figured that they haven't made a locking handle. I'll get creative with the welder to create a slide bolt system unless someone else has a good idea that is.

Thanks phrogg4evr

Is your truck in really good, pristine shape?

You could rig something like this on the inside of the tailgate if you dont mind adding a few new holes. Or maybe a couple latch locks and striker plates:meh:

Aluminum-Locking-Bolt.jpg

Last edited:
or rig something up to immobilize it when you dont need the tailgate to open:meh:
Outdoor cabinet lock with 1-1/4" arm. Cable going from end of arm to linkage on one side. 2nd cable goes from end of arm, around 2 pullys, and to linkage on the other side. When the arm is up the cables are tight and the linkages can't be pulled to retract the catches. When the arm is horizontal the cables are loose and the linkages can move. No I haven't made it, but I came up with the idea when I was thinking about installing a tailgate lock. You could also use a cabinet lock to shove a rod into the linkages behind the handle, but I don't remember enough detail on that design idea. For the cable idea I was going to crimp the cables to the sides of the linkage rods. You also need a D shaped hole for the cabinet lock to keep it from turning in it's hole. This was for a '94 mini truck tailgate.

Amazing guys, thank you.

Yes, the truck is prestine but, in the end it's a truck that gets good use. She is a bone stock 87' with low miles on a quiet 22r. The slide bolt system seems simple and rugged enough for what I want.

I will be driving her to panama come next fall. I'd like to make sure it locks as well as it can for safety during my passage.

The cap on back affords me some sleeping room and gear storage underneath my bed. Been drumming up other ideas as far as sleeping quarters. Does anyone know of a good camper slide-in-bed system? Should I start a new thread for this inquiry?

Ideally I would have something similar to this photo attached. I met this man in Baja 3 weeks ago. His rig buzzed around south, central and now North America. Great camper set up.

Is it possible for my single cab 22r to push such a camper?

Thanks guys

IMG_6300.JPG

Is it possible for my single cab 22r to push such a camper?
It's more a weight issue for the axles. There are a number of Toyota Mini Truck based RVs. Toyota killed that use due to to many of the makers overloading the rear axles when a reasonable amount of gear was added. I know a couple had to be driven dry with no water or sewage in the tanks or they were overloaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom