Swapping Mercedes OM606 to FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have been a long time guest on this forum, Some may say I have been researching the topic before actual thing happened and I purchased car of my dream, 93 fzj80!

As you can guess it is equipped with 1fz-fe 4.5 l gas engine, all 3 lockers in place, automatic transmission. I live in Georgia (republic of Georgia not the state :) ) and taking into account how much gas fuel costs here and how thirsty is fz-fe, I plan to do a diesel swap. CNG/LPG conversion does not really seem to fit my needs as there are some risks and I will lose lots of space in/under the truck.

So I am considering to put diesel in it instead. To be more particular Turbodiesel, as 80 is the beast whioch weighs up to 3 tonns loaded and it is going to need lots of power, especially in you mountainous landscape (sometimes road elevation is up to 9000 feet here). The best swap option is 1hd-t, but this engine is quite rare and costly.

That said, I am aiming at Mercedes om 606 turbodiesel engine – with earlier model mechanical pump fitted to it. This engine will give me around 170 hp/360 nm, which quite close to 1hd-t and will cost me half the price. Also with some easy modes I can climb up to 250hp/430+ nm, which will definitely be optimum power for my rig.

But …. There are lots of things I will need to clarify before getting things started.

Have you guys heard anyone doing that swap before? What I have found was only this thread and this youtube video.

The Mercruiser, 87FJ60 with a OM606

I have left the comment on video and asked for email, but did not get the answer.

I f any of you have heard about that conversion I will be glad if you could share the details or at least guide me to the person who did it,

thanks

Some pics

17407626_10154866023661253_1001440079_o.jpg

17453675_10154866023566253_181571817_o.jpg

17454954_10154866023716253_144229360_o.jpg

17474317_10154866023406253_66190362_o.jpg

I'm in the process currently also. Check out my signature line. 3-link daily driver thread. I designed an adapter and flywheel to use with a Toyota R150F transmission and a 60 series part-time transfer case.

You know I am going to ask why Mercedes, I love my Cummins 6BT swap and I have copious amounts of power and great millage

Looking at some dyno results for the OM606 it looks like they basically don't make any power until they Reach About 4000 RPMs, at which point they make ungodly amounts up to 5000 RPMs. On the other hand, Diesel pump UK has some videos on Youtube of a couple Mercedes G-Wagens that seem pretty streetable. Of course, roadworthy and trail-worthy are different things. I'm thinking of putting an OM606 into a Datsun 280Z.

You know I am going to ask why Mercedes, I love my Cummins 6BT swap and I have copious amounts of power and great millage

probably because seeing how he is in Georgia a Cummins might even be more rare than a 1hdt.

I'm assuming this Mercedes engine may be in some light commercial applications or at least more common from mid 90s sedan donors.

Last edited:
Looking at some dyno results for the OM606 it looks like they basically don't make any power until they Reach About 4000 RPMs, at which point they make ungodly amounts up to 5000 RPMs. On the other hand, Diesel pump UK has some videos on Youtube of a couple Mercedes G-Wagens that seem pretty streetable. Of course, roadworthy and trail-worthy are different things. I'm thinking of putting an OM606 into a Datsun 280Z.

Yep. The problem you run into is that the pump elements are pretty limited. The aftermarket larger element pumps are more biased towards that top end and keeping a motor together in the midrange, Low RPM high Load. I agree with one of the above posters that the OM613 or OM648 CDI motors with some form of standalone would be better suited the type of driving you would do in an 80. There's also the cost expenditure of getting a 603 M-Pump, have it modified for 7.5 - 8.5mm elements and the popularity of the engine is driving the cost up.

Unless off the rev limiter is your daily driving habit. Then grab an OM606 and do you.

probably because seeing how he is in Georgia a Cummins might even be more rare than a 1hdt.

I'm assuming this Mercedes engine may be in some light commercial applications or at least more common from mid 90s sedan donors.

Like Georgia Ukrane ????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom