Builds SW20s 1979 revival (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
Ordinarily I leave it to my customers to start their own threads. Scott's first foray into the Landcruiser world (long time Toyota fan) consists of one of the more neglected (as opposed to abused) 40s, which is becoming more of the norm as the years go by.

He bought this thing in non-running condition and had it towed over to have me give it a fair shake on getting all systems go before firing the engine, which as far as he knows, has sat for at least 10 years.

The cooling system was highly suspect, so we agreed to start there. Ordered a new radiator and started tearing things down. Even with persuasion from the smoke wrench, both bolts in the thermostat housing broke. Not a good sign.

More smoke, and one of the two bolts came out of the head...the SAE one.:mad:

More smoke, and three of the four water pump bolts came out. Starting to look like a real winner. Oh well, that's what they pay me for.

Half the deposits on the thermostat housing fell off before I took the pics
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

As you can see, the heater T pipe didn't do much better

These water pump bolts are keepers!
image.jpeg

Cover me boys, I'm going in!
image.jpeg

A few of the larger chunks fell onto the harmonic balancer:
image.jpeg

The timing cover didn't look so hot either. The pics don't do it justice:
image.jpeg

Needless to say, it took a little while to straighten that out.

Then start digging into the harmonic balancer, because dirt doesn't balance:
image.jpeg

Two piles. Dirt on the right, rust on the left. Believe it or not, the seal surface on the inside was almost perfect.

Finally, some visible progress:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Alternator is out being rebuilt. Power steering pump is getting cleaned up. Core support, fan shroud and front splash shield were powdercoated along with the timing cover.

Oh, the best news of all was that for as lousy as the block looked behind the water pump, it actually cleaned up really nice too. Just a super shoddy previous install on the t-stat that contaminated everything.

Almost forgot this jewel from Day 1. It's a Mechanics 101 fail. See if you can spot it.
image.jpeg

Almost forgot this jewel from Day 1. It's a Mechanics 101 fail. See if you can spot it.
View attachment 1318331

There's a few things but can't tell from the pic....

The plastic cap for the dizzy cap breather is missing
Plug wires 1-2 are black, the rest are blue (mismatched)
There's a hard line (assuming fuel, I don't know the F motors) that looks like the alternator was rubbing against

Unsure on this one, but I'm guessing the engine hook shouldn't be between the block and the alt mount, should be the other way?

With alternator installed the fuel line would be in contact with alternator body, fuel line shows signs of chafing.

There's a few things but can't tell from the pic....

Unsure on this one, but I'm guessing the engine hook shouldn't be between the block and the alt mount, should be the other way?

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom