Builds SW20s 1979 revival (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks @desertland. Mark is a really good guy, and he definitely knows his way around a 40, and he has tons of parts. I was looking for 1979 running boards, walked in his shop and was talking to Mark, and right in front of him were rustic green (my original color) running boards, he also had the same color tire carrier too! As you can see in his post above, I need a steering wheel as well. Great quality parts, but not the crazy prices, and yes, that is a shameless plug for Mark's Off Road @65swb45 (he did not ask me, I just like dealing with him). The goal was to make it mechanically sound, I plan to drive it quite a bit and enjoy it off roading as well. After that, I will deal with paint and body.

Last edited:
Scott

IIRC, This was in a stock '79. OTOH, I'm not sure because the odo is six digits, and '79 may still have been five. I'm not at the shop to compare against other clusters.
image.jpeg

My (12/79 build) 1980 only has five digits also.

Ok then. Thanks guys. I'll keep digging for Scott.

Thanks @upperblack and @1911, Mark I am looking for the entire cluster that looks like what @1911 has. I like the fact that it has the "55" speed limit on it. For some weird reason, I have memories of my dad yelling at me when he let me take his Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme out as a kid.......55!!!!! You better not go past 55 on the freeway!!!

Installed one of @Racer65 boosters with a set of SOR tubes. This rig is slowly starting to take on more of a resto feel.
IMG_0690.JPG

This was how the engine was before Mark started to work his magic.

full

Is that vac tubing for anti smog requirements? I didn't know 4* series had that junk

Even the carb suffered an unseen horror.

But you can desmog it now because of its age?

Mark, it is essentially a resto. Engine, front knucles, brakes, rear 3rd member, brakes, carb rebuild, front axel, rear axel, brake booster, master cylinder, all new brake lines, etc...I am sure I forgot but you pretty much touched everything.
But you can desmog it now because of its age?
@roscoFJ73 not in California. Anything that is 1975 and older does not require smog checks, 1976 and up does require a smog check every 2 years. I never listened to my teachers in school, I am not about to listen to politicians regarding my vehicles.

Last edited:
The first post tells us that this work began (and is apparently carrying on) before firing the engine. My question is why?

After ten-years or more of sitting and receiving it on a hook in non-running condition, how was a baseline of health and confidence established?

Compression numbers?

The first post tells us that this work began (and is apparently carrying on) before firing the engine. My question is why?

After ten-years or more of sitting and receiving it on a hook in non-running condition, how was a baseline of health and confidence established?

Compression numbers?

Your post proceeds on the assumption that only work that was posted has been performed. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Compression numbers?
Actually a lot of work was done and not posted. I originally asked Mark to get it running, and he said not only running but to make it safe (make sure the brakes worked, etc....) Compression check was done, I cannot remember off the top of my head but I think it was in the 130-135psi range. Mark rebuilt the carb, got it running, and did a compression check again when it was warm, also adjusted the valves. He then started the de-smog process, replaced the radiator, water pump, rebuilt the front knuckles and rebuilt the front disk brakes as well, tie rod ends were done, he worked on the rear axel, did the rear brakes, all new brake lines, master cylinder, replaced the rear 3rd member, etc....many many many things were done, I cannot even remember all of it.

Hi everyone, I never really posted about my 1979 FJ40, but as you can see, Mark has taken on my rig to get it running. My goal was to get it running, ship it to Connecticut so I can visit my sister and drive it back to California. On the the way back I would pick up a buddy from Chicago and we would road trip back to California and eat as much food and beer from different states as we possible can. I did a BBQ road trip last year, where my friends and I drove from California to many places in Texas, Memphis, and Kansas City, to see which type of "cue" we liked. We somehow ended up in New Orleans and drank a ton of beer at the French Quarter and had so much fun, I want to do it again, but in a FJ40. Mark was not kidding when he said it feels like a resto. A lot of work was done to ensure that I have a reliable vehicle to go cross country. Mark has pretty much worked on everything on Landcruiser besides electrical and body work.

I would like to mention that Mark is doing all this work, when he had a fire at his warehouse where he lost a lot of FJ40 parts that he has collected throughout the years, as well as personal items. With all the issues he was dealing with, he also took the time to work on my FJ40 and work on it right. I am very satisfied with the work he has done.

The trip to storage was successful
IMG_0706.JPG

That looks like original paint on that rig - I love it all patina'd out like that!

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom