Sunroof leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched prior threads but didn't see anything similar to the leak I'm experiencing as it's NOT the drain channels. The plastic trim pieces surrounding the sunroof are colllecting water and dripping at the seams. It looks like the sunroof seal itself is bad. Has anyone encountered a similar leak and if so, what was the fix?

I just posted about this last week in a thread. I removed my sunroof and front part of the headliner and discovered the seal itself was leaking. I had the same leak. Filled up the plastic trays with water and then eventually overflowed into my headliner and made a mark which is how I realized I had a leak.

I temporarily sealed it up by masking off about a 4" section covering the seal and spraying plasti-dip until my new seal arrived. No more leaks and its black so not very noticeable. The plasti-dip stopping the leak confirmed that the seal itself was leaking.

My new seal just arrived and I need to find a warm-ish day to put it in. Here is my temporary plasti-dip job. 4 coats total.

image.jpg

Quick update. I found another thread showing how easy it is to unbolt the sunroof so I pulled it off and pulled the seal. Looks like water was seeping into the rear of the seal and spreading around. I cleaned it up and resealed it with silicone. I'll see if it holds up in a few days when it rains again.

Which seal exactly is it and what the part number are we talking about?

Thanks

OK. I have totally sealed the sunroof. Sealed between the body and the glass and seal the glass to the frame. Water still dumps down my neck at times. Where else could this water be entering? Roof rack mounts?

I had similar leak and it wasn’t the rubber seal (which I replaced). I had to use silicone between the glass and the plastic trim next to the glass (which the rubber seal then attaches to).

OK. I have totally sealed the sunroof. Sealed between the body and the glass and seal the glass to the frame. Water still dumps down my neck at times. Where else could this water be entering? Roof rack mounts?

In my experience, a leaking roof rack mount causes a leak in the 2nd row. Right when I bought my truck, there was a leak coming out of my second row front grab handle. This was solved by snugging down the roof rack bolts and it hasn't happened since.

Appreciate the replies. I did seal the glass to the plastic trim. I mean, I sealed everything that had any kind of joint. Something is still leaking.

Got it. So where is your water found? At the sunroof still, somewhere on the headliner, or on the floor?

We keep the sunroof cover closed. It drips on your left shoulder through the line where he cover meets the headliner.

I would check the mounting for the roof rack myself. But not sure how to fix that if that’s the issue...maybe silicone the bolt holes? When I removed my rack, it had brakes which was taped on that were a pain to remove and I think that’s what made it water proof.

In my experience, a leaking roof rack mount causes a leak in the 2nd row. Right when I bought my truck, there was a leak coming out of my second row front grab handle. This was solved by snugging down the roof rack bolts and it hasn't happened since.
I need try that mine is leaking at the grab handle as well.

I gave up the fight on my old one and got a large magnet sheet and covered it up. No more leaks or worries. Sunroof was in-op anyway

gpxl. Did the new seal fix your leak? i'm having the same issue, same leak. I remove the driver and passanger side trim pieces as well as the longer piece to the rear of the sunroof that runs side to side and noticed that longer piece had a lot of water in it

I now have small dripping leak onto my left shoulder after a hard rain, no stain in headliner or water on floorboards. Guess I’ll try to remove sunroof and use clear silicone in any seals or plastic trim pieces.

Mine is leaking too. I took off the plastic trims and noticed that the water was travelling down the trims from the back (center) of the sunroof. The water ran down the channel on the plastic trim and then drips where the joint is. Changed the weatherseal with a new OEM one and I still have a leak. Wondering if it's a problem with the slit on the plastic between the glass and weatherseal. Going to try to apply some Permatex RTV there tomorrow to see if it fixes the problem.

2021-06-13_11-08-24_315.jpg

2021-06-14_15-06-01_992.jpg

2021-07-10_19-11-58_265.jpg

I can confirm that is it leaking through the plastic gap. I can see outside light through the gap from inside the vehicle. I've sealed it with RTV and will see how it holds up in the car wash this week, though this doesn't feel like a very permanent fix. I'm contemplating buying a used sunroof from Ebay and taking a chance that it doesn't have the same problem.

2021-07-12_10-58-17_352.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom