Sudden Loss of Power AGAIN - On road with family [St. Louis,MO] (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it is fuel pump, there is only one west of the Mississippi at a Lexus dealer (Sewell) I’m dallas. I ended up with an aftermarket pump because dealer said 7 days to get. If you go aftermarket make sure it’s the right one. Advance auto and orielly will sell the wrong one coded as a 2006 or 2007. It is too long and has wrong connectors. See pic, the short one is stock.

You need a 14mm socket, small torx to remove plastic trim for seats and a 10mm socket and Phillips screw driver. Don’t be tempted to use a screw driver around the tank they will strip.

Good luck!

B15F8E87-DDC7-4A50-A001-9DF6F380AD6B.jpeg

D6ECF388-F011-485E-96C5-8C03E715AFB5.png

F11DEDD5-E9F5-40CA-A12C-FEA897C053BF.jpeg

One thing more I'll mention. That I check during my shut downs. The gas cap, which is non OEM. Did not make a sound as I removed after driving for hour on hot day starting with full tank of gas. Not a hiss!

Last edited:
If it is fuel pump, there is only one west of the Mississippi at a Lexus dealer (Sewell) I’m dallas. I ended up with an aftermarket pump because dealer said 7 days to get. If you go aftermarket make sure it’s the right one. Advance auto and orielly will sell the wrong one coded as a 2006 or 2007. It is too long and has wrong connectors. See pic, the short one is stock.

You need a 14mm socket, small torx to remove plastic trim for seats and a 10mm socket and Phillips screw driver. Don’t be tempted to use a screw driver around the tank they will strip.

Good luck!

View attachment 2037537

View attachment 2037538

View attachment 2037539
They've sold you the old models, from 8/2002 to 5/2005. Call them again and see if they've the newer. Very good idea to replace gasket on top of tank.

You need 23220-50160 Partsouq can get to you in 3 days 2322050160 Toyota PUMP ASSY, FUEL W/FILTER Price: 323.63$, Weight: 0.477kg - PartSouq - Auto Parts Around the World PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World $325 plus $25 shipping.

These guys in VA are Cheaper at $263 and will over night if in stock. Fuel Pump - Toyota (23220-50160) | Toyota Parts

@jerryb and I have both successfully used the following Denso pump in ‘06-‘07 100 series. It is specified for the Toyota Sequoia (also 4.7L V8). Denso P/N 950-0210 is the pump and filter for Sequoia. If you remove the "Black Cage" and rubber bushing on bottom of factory assembly, you can replace the pump part with this P/N. The price for this part is around $100. The kit includes a new o-ring to install new pump into cage assembly.

ED58E4AD-FEA8-4DFF-9E29-AA59B5133525.jpeg

Old Pump:
27B3D6A6-3F78-4A47-A23E-ABDBBB76F8AA.jpeg

New Pump:
008CF06A-2D19-4739-AF24-B3218D37AA44.jpeg

^^^^^

Now...he tell's us.

I have used that Denso pump as well. It works great and is 1/3 the cost.

Thanks again everyone, can't tell you all how much I appreciate your help really saved my trip.

I made it to Evergreen, CO with plans to travel to Lyons today. Thanks @2001LC for the offer and info. Based on everyone responses I will do the fuel pump and try to source the Sequoia unit. I already took my stock unit out thinking I had the correct pump from Advance so I can get it out of the cage.

@shevy77 or @jerryb where did you source the pump? From Toyota or a parts store, trying to track one down now.

I will hold off on the throttle body for now unless people think otherwise.

Thanks again everyone, can't tell you all how much I appreciate your help really saved my trip.

I made it to Evergreen, CO with plans to travel to Lyons today. Thanks @2001LC for the offer and info. Based on everyone responses I will do the fuel pump and try to source the Sequoia unit. I already took my stock unit out thinking I had the correct pump from Advance so I can get it out of the cage.

I will hold off on the throttle body for now unless people think otherwise.
You're welcome.

I'll be very interested, in how your rig reacts if you're going over high mountain passes. Seems you're on a zig zag course going to Evergreen then Lyons. You planning on heading west after Lyons?

BTW there is a top mechanic in Boulder, you'll be passing by. Robbie at Adventure Offload 303-884-7813. He's one of the most experienced around with 80 and 100 series. He's also in the Raising Sun off-road Club. The name of the shop may be something else. So give him a call. Maybe worth your time, to just stop by and chat with him. Guy knows his stuff with 4.7L in all models.

Last edited:
@shevy77 or @jerryb where did you source the pump? From Toyota or a parts store, trying to track one down now.

Unfortunately I ordered mine. I think @jerryb got his from Advance Auto Parts, but my quick search did not show them as in stock item. They have them on Amazon. Good Luck. Maybe have one shipped ahead if you can find a source.

I guess I'm late to this. I ordered off denso I think, denso products. It's been runningperfect btw, at least 15k miles.

Final Update:

I was able to make it through the rest of my trip without* any issues. I traveled to from Evergreen to Lyons (x2), Pagaso Springs, Durango, and Co Springs. Did many high altitude passes and drove with hot outside temps, no issues with stalling or surging. I ended up replacing the fuel pump with the Seqouia one (Thanks to @shevy77 for posting the info). I also bought a new fuel cap. I used Techron fuel system cleaner every 2-3 tanks of gas and kept the fuel tank 1/2 full most of the time.

Most of the trip the engine seemed to run fine. Some times I felt more "shake" while driving, this is hard for me to diagnosis as my STT pros aren't the smoothest tires at their current wear point (why I was thinking of selling on road). I did notice that on some tanks of gas it was worse than others so it may have been gas quality? I used 91 octane while out west, if I got shake after a fill up I would add techron on next fill up and that seemed to help.

*On my final leg home from Morgantown, WV to MD I got a pending P0430 code. I was constantly checking pending codes with my ultraguage throughout the trip and this was the first time I got a code after the repairs. I cleared it and it didn't come back after a few stops and starts. I will probably go ahead and replace the downstream 02 sensors just to be safe and since the upstreams are new. I will assume my cats are okay for now.

Once again thanks to all that helped save my trip, it was not ideal but the LX never left me stranded.

Summary of Issues:
- Stalled at stop light after driving on highway for a couple of hours
- RPM surging (fluctuating) while driving at highway speeds
- Had some shuttering on the highway prior to the truck stalling
- Pending code (no CEL) P0174

Diagnosis at shop:
- A/F ratio voltages off in bank 2

Shop Fix:
- Replace both upstream 02 sensors

Additional preventive DIY Fix while on road:
- Replaced fuel pump with Denso unit
- New OEM gas camp
- Techron on every 2-3 gas fill ups
- Kept gas tank 1/2 full at all times

Fuel Pump:

IMG_20190729_162700271_HDR.jpg

Made it to Pagaso:

IMG_20190731_080704471_HDR.jpg

Keywords: upstream 02 sensor, fuel pump, surging at highway speeds

I got the same P0430 after i trip to the west, i attributed it to crap gas along the way, it hasn't come back after ive been getting gas at my local Shell.

I nearly forgot to transfer the o ring over to the new pump ( or use the new ring that comes with the pump) FYI!

SmartSelect_20200920-191359_Chrome.jpg

Guys, question on using the denso. Im presuming you have to re-use the old filter?
You can buy a new, but most old are okay used! I just blow them out with HP air!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom