Stuck crankshaft bolt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am at my wit's end with a stuck crankshaft bolt. I have tried:
  • My Milwaukee Mid-Torque impact wrench with a pulley hold tool
  • A breaker bar with a 5-foot (yes, 5 foot) cheater bar
  • HEAT. Lots of heat.
  • PB Blaster
  • The starter-method
  • The starter-method, giving it 3 inches to impact on
  • Cussing
  • Praying (to ask forgiveness for the cussing)
  • Repeat from the top
NOTHING. Nada. No movement.

Any suggestions?

Get yourself a 3' x 3" length of steel. Use a hole saw large enough to allow the 30mm socket to go through. Two more holes to align with the holes on the crank pulley. Make sure you are using 3/4 socket and breaker bar and have at it.
I have broken more 1/2 breaker bars doing this job than i care to admit. Since i fabbed up my steel bar i have been able to remove every bolts i have tried. 100% success rate.
20210903_202010.jpg

Get yourself a 3' x 3" length of steel. Use a hole saw large enough to allow the 30mm socket to go through. Two more holes to align with the holes on the crank pulley. Make sure you are using 3/4 socket and breaker bar and have at it.
I have broken more 1/2 breaker bars doing this job than i care to admit. Since i fabbed up my steel bar i have been able to remove every bolts i have tried. 100% success rate.
Thank you. I have a similar tool that I bought off eBay. I can hold the balancer down. Just cannot turn that blasted bolt.

Using 3/4 inch socket and breaker bar with 5-foot cheater. Not even a squeak or a creak.

So what is happening during the starter method? if its stalling the starter then Id say the starter is weak.

Thank you. I have a similar tool that I bought off eBay. I can hold the balancer down. Just cannot turn that blasted bolt.

Using 3/4 inch socket and breaker bar with 5-foot cheater. Not even a squeak or a creak.
You need some fat friends :smokin:

I used the starter method. It took probably 40 odd starts before it finally broke loose. That bolt will test you. Don’t let it beat you. You’re better than that bolt. Believe in yourself. I believe in you.

From memory it’s torqued above 400nm (is it 440nm?) so a 5ft breaker bar probably isn’t enough leverage if you’re not on the heavier side.

Get a length of pipe to slide over the breaker bar...

also, a sudden “jerk” of pressure is far better than slowly pulling harder and harder...

I would charge the battery. With everything as it should be the starter should put out a crapload of torque. I always break them loose easily with the starter.

IF using a impact....it needs to crank out about 1,000 ft lbs. of torque to remove really stuck nuts/bolts. You had about 1/2 that available. My 'MAC' air impact wouldn't take my Crank Bolt off....buy my AirCat...zipped it right off.

I know the bolt is torqued to only 305 lb ft upon installation...BUT it takes a LOT more than that (break away torque) to get it moving when they've been on there a long time. You've got bolt stretch and usually some corrosion to deal with.

IF using a impact....it needs to crank out about 1,000 ft lbs. of torque to remove really stuck nuts/bolts. You had about 1/2 that available. My 'MAC' air impact wouldn't take my Crank Bolt off....buy my AirCat...zipped it right off.

I know the bolt is torqued to only 305 lb ft upon installation...BUT it takes a LOT more than that (break away torque) to get it moving when they've been on there a long time. You've got bolt stretch and usually some corrosion to deal with.
Thank you. I looked online for a high-torque impact, but none are available in my area. I will first try a longer pipe, then starter on a charged battery, then order a high torque impact gun.

Thank you. I looked online for a high-torque impact, but none are available in my area. I will first try a longer pipe, then starter on a charged battery, then order a high torque impact gun.

You'll get it... am I sure, but they can be 'trying'. Don't give yourself a hernia over it, not worth it. 👍

From memory it’s torqued above 400nm (is it 440nm?) so a 5ft breaker bar probably isn’t enough leverage if you’re not on the heavier side.

Get a length of pipe to slide over the breaker bar...

also, a sudden “jerk” of pressure is far better than slowly pulling harder and harder...
Its definitely over 400nm but don't think it is as high as 440. My breaker bar is 4' and i have never had any trouble getting this bolt off. Don't get me wrong, it takes just about every ounce of umph i have in my old arms but i win every time. Either way sounds like this one has been tightened by shrek.

Ran into the same situation 10 years ago on my 91 MR2. Starter bumps wouldn't work, impacts , breaker bar, breaker bar with 16pound sledge hammer, heat. Nothing worked. Ended up cutting the bolt head off took ten minutes to carefully do it. Ordered a new bolt and moved on with my project.

Mine was stuck pretty good. What did it for me was MAP torch for about 5 minutes then immediately hit it with Kroil. Did that 2-3 times and then got on it with my 5’ breaker at the PS fender. Finally got a slight rotation and the rest is history haha.

Mine was stuck pretty good. What did it for me was MAP torch for about 5 minutes then immediately hit it with Kroil. Did that 2-3 times and then got on it with my 5’ breaker at the PS fender. Finally got a slight rotation and the rest is history haha.
Did you hit the flame right on the head of the bolt?

go to harbor freight and get their 1/2 air impact wrench. Or an aircat on amazon.

This is my homemade crank holder and a 4’ 600ftlb torque wrench! I used this holder in the truck on my other motor it rests on the ground as you break it free. Mine was a pain in the ass but got if with soaking in penetrating oil every day for a week, also be careful with the nipple on the radiator. Even on a engine stand I had to have my dad hold the stand because it would move when applying torque.

329D419C-22E0-40ED-B913-9AAD1B02312F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom