Stock Wheels with Hubcaps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still in the early stages, but pondering wheel and tire selection once my 79 piggy gets that far. I really like the stock, old school steel wheel and hubcap look, but can't find the wheels, and don't know what will work anyways with the front disk brake setup. Anybody have a line on these stock steel wheels?

I'm planning on doing a minor lift (2-4"), want 33 x 9 BFG ATs.

I did find a source for the new hubcaps, though:

OEM Hub Caps

hubcaps_fj40.jpg

You can still get new hubcaps from Toyota. Last I saw was around $100 for a set. CDan can get them for you at a great price.

I also think you can buy rims from Toyota. But people are basically giving them away. Shouldn't be hard to find.

I also want to go back to stock. I hate the wheels that are on my piggy right now. good info.

Exactly!

Do you have front disk on your pig? I think if you do, you need a different wheel in the front, 78 or later I think, or a spacer. Did you have any issues with backspacing?

Thanks,

Eli

yes on discs. i'm running later model rims to compensate.

Here's my 68 on stock wheels. I too need to find the disc brake versions.
GMC389.jpg

I'm also cleaning up my old stockers and hubcaps for the next phase of my princess piggie. I still have not completely decided what tires to run yet either. I want to go with a 10.5 in. wide tire on the 5.5 in. wide stock rims and many folks have done this with success but then I hear some folks say it's a bad idea. Apparently many tire shops will not even mount 10.5 in. tires on these skinny rims. We'll see. I also have front discs and therefore have the disc brake combatible rims. Oh, and I have a set of older drum brake style rims I may get rid of someday. :)

I ordered 4 new wheels (disc front) from Toyota for $80 a piece (with a 25% discount) and the hubcaps to go with them for about $19 each. I had scrounged a few wheels here and there, but with the time and money it would have taken to clean, blast, prep and powder coat, the new wheels were just fine and the lazy way out.

I ordered 4 new wheels (disc front) from Toyota for $80 a piece (with a 25% discount) and the hubcaps to go with them for about $19 each. I had scrounged a few wheels here and there, but with the time and money it would have taken to clean, blast, prep and powder coat, the new wheels were just fine and the lazy way out.

You just go to your local dealer?

/thread hijack
Do all Toyota wheels feature the clips to hold on the hub caps or are the later 78 and 79 wheels for disc brake pigs different? The reason I ask is that the wheels on my 78 pig appear to be the same color as Ige's but lack the clips like the grey factory wheels to hold on hubcaps and I want to run hubcaps also.

eperry0303, Yes the local dealer can order them for you or CDAN if you don't have a local dealer who discounts, but shipping would probably kill that deal.

Are my wheels stock 78 Toyota wheels or aftermarket? I can't find and TEQ or Toyota markings anywhere on them.

/end hijack
FJ55 233.jpg

Last edited:
some were spec'd without hubcaps, so they didn't get the clips. i have one rim like that. and just got rid of 4 of them.

Sahweeet early pig Dwitcher! How 'low' is your VIN? Was it imported to the US originally or is it from somewhere else?

OINK! OINK!
Thread jack on: VIN is 11106 so its #1106 in prodoction. Thread jack off. Sorry eperry0303:beer:

/thread hijack
Do all Toyota wheels feature the clips to hold on the hub caps or are the later 78 and 79 wheels for disc brake pigs different? The reason I ask is that the wheels on my 78 pig appear to be the same color as Ige's but lack the clips like the grey factory wheels to hold on hubcaps and I want to run hubcaps also.

eperry0303, Yes the local dealer can order them for you or CDAN if you don't have a local dealer who discounts, but shipping would probably kill that deal.

Are my wheels stock 78 Toyota wheels or aftermarket? I can't find and TEQ or Toyota markings anywhere on them.

/end hijack

They may also be mini pickup wheels which look almost identical if they are not cruiser rims with no clips. I had those on the rear of my cruiser that fit the drums but they didn't fit the cruiser discs.

What is the BS on those john?

can 35" tires fit on stock rims?

Would there be a certain mark distinguishing the drum brake rims from the disc brake rims without having to mount them to see if they fit?

Yes!! Drum brake wheel have rivets on the back side that hit the caliper, disc wheels have no rivets at all (all welded).

btw: I'm running 33x9.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on my piggy with stock wheels and caps. You can look at the September POTM for some poser photos.

can 35" tires fit on stock rims?

It's dependant on tire width not so much height. I have 33x12.5x15 on my BJ60 and they are too wide for the stock rim (same rim width as the '55). I doubt you can find a 35" tire narrow enough to fit a stock rim.

Chevy wheels also fit the 'Cruiser so wheels without clips could be Chevy wheels too.

Would there be a certain mark distinguishing the drum brake rims from the disc brake rims without having to mount them to see if they fit?

drums have rivets on the backside holding the center to the outer rim, where disc rims are welded, also, it's very difficult to see, but the rounded portion (where the clips are) is kind of "flattened" on disc rims...much more rounded on drums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom