STILL failing smog with my 88 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I had never even changed the oil on a vehicle before, I was pretty happy when I was able to remove the throttle pressure sensor, replace it, and then get my idle down to 750. Took it in to get smogged today and I failed (by a lot).

The 15 MPH test NO (PPM) came in at over twice the allowable limit (1200+). The smogger also said he gave me a "pass" on the EGR (visual), but he actually thinks I don't even have that.

Before I take it in to get it serviced, does anyone know what the issue may be? If so, what would the expected cost be if I took it in to be serviced?

The smog process has been a real pain in the ass (and has been going on for nearly 3 weeks). At this point I'm ready to bring it in and have a professional look at it just so I can get it registered + drive it.

Yes you do have an EGR valve, bolted right on the side of the intake plenum. If it is missing it will make your NOX higher.

I don't know 62s, but posting some detailed pix of the engine compartment (you should buy a silver star subscription), will help people see what's missing/wrong, if anything.

There's always the alcohol solution (search).

Way high NOx but pass HC & CO means the EGR valve or system isn't working correctly. And since the tech said he didn't even think you had an EGR valve (couldn't find it?).... Who knows? Maybe the previous owner removed the valve & plugged off the openings.

This is what the EGR valve looks like (the big thing)
image.png

Do what I did. Move to Oregon and never see another smog test request ever!

How many miles on the truck? Is your air pump actually putting out air? Is the engine oil clean? Original catalytic converters? I would definitely run some E-85 only during the e-test, but only after you baseline the rest of the emission system. It seems that you're far from the mark on emissions, so there likely isn't one simple fix to this problem (but I could be wrong).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom