Stiff / Sticky accelerator pedal (2004) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a clean '04 yesterday and noticed on the drive home that the gas pedal is pretty sticky, similar to when the 80 series cable would get old and need replacement.

I've searched, and read up on all the apps, tps and tb issues but I've had no adverse driving conditions to make me think there's something wrong.

After playing with the pedal this afternoon it certainly seems as though the stickiness is coming from where the TPS connects to the pedal ( close to the firewall on the 004).

Anyone else experienced this and if so, does replacing the tps fix the stickiness or am I looking at the wrong thing?

Connect it to OBD scanner and see if there is any tps related codes. How is the throttle response.

SaadUK said:
Connect it to OBD scanner and see if there is any tps related codes. How is the throttle response.

Throttle response seems fine but I have very little to compare it to. Only other hundies I've driven were pre '03.

I'll hook up the obd though.

Find a complete paddle assembly and swap it. Won't take much time, only two or so connectors and few bolts if possible.

SaadUK said:
Find a complete paddle assembly and swap it. Won't take much time, only two or so connectors and few bolts if possible.

No codes. Scangauge looks good.

I'll keep my eyes open for the whole pedal assembly but wondering if any others have dealt with this. $300+ seems to be the going rate for the assembly so not exactly a cheap fix.

image-2604395769.jpg

Last edited:
Brandon, I'm curious about this same thing. My '03 LX has a very smooth accelerator, while the one on my '03 TLC is "stickier". You're right, it's starting to feel like the 80-series when it needed a new throttle cable. I don't know why they differ so much. A whole new assembly seems excessive.

Very interested in prescribed solutions for this.

Brandon, I'm curious about this same thing. My '03 LX has a very smooth accelerator, while the one on my '03 TLC is "stickier". You're right, it's starting to feel like the 80-series when it needed a new throttle cable. I don't know why they differ so much. A whole new assembly seems excessive.

Very interested in prescribed solutions for this.

Agreed. The stickiness certainly seems isolated to the pedal-mounted sensor. Unfortunately, it looks like the sensor alone cannot be purchased and it needs to be bought as an entire assembly, which lists for close to 475 I believe from Toyota.

They can be had for cheaper, but not less than 300 based on my research.

Here's to hoping someone chimes in....I'm driving the truck to Colorado in 2-3 weeks and trying to track this down beforehand.

i'll add to this. i've had mine since new and yeah i'm noticing it's a bit "stickier". But also i've done a partial Oz airbox mod and wondered if it's also a bit more sensitive too. So it's a little stickier but since the airbox mod it's hard to gauge where my right foot needs to be. I can no longer drive it wearing work boots any more. If i have to drive over speed bumps then i have to really watch out where my foot is on the accelerator as being a 5 speed manual i could easily get the learner driver bunny hop thang going!!! thoughts welcomed!

edit: i've also replaced the older Safari with a custom 4" stainless snorkel so i get awesome airflow into the beast now....so the GO pedal seems very sensitive and sticky too. Hard to describe.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Last edited:
Picked up a clean '04 yesterday and noticed on the drive home that the gas pedal is pretty sticky, similar to when the 80 series cable would get old and need replacement.

Anyone else experienced this and if so, does replacing the tps fix the stickiness or am I looking at the wrong thing?

The gas pedal on my 1998 LC felt "sticky"; meaning that you had to step down pretty hard and then the throttle would pop open all at once. People at stoplights thought I wanted to race.

I pulled the air intake and cleaned the butterfly and the throttle body and now initial acceleration is much smoother. not sure if this is the solution to your problem, but it might be worth a shot-

30 minute job and a bottle of throttle body cleaner.

marshotel said:
The gas pedal on my 1998 LC felt "sticky"; meaning that you had to step down pretty hard and then the throttle would pop open all at once. People at stoplights thought I wanted to race.

I pulled the air intake and cleaned the butterfly and the throttle body and now initial acceleration is much smoother. not sure if this is the solution to your problem, but it might be worth a shot-

30 minute job and a bottle of throttle body cleaner.

Thanks. I'll probably do this for kicks anyways but because the 04 is drive by wire, the probably certainly seems to be a physical restriction in the sensor that's attached to the pedal assembly.

Thanks for the input.

Were you able to isolate where the stickyness is coming from? I assume your talking about a physical non-linearity when pressing on the pedal? Is it only happening at a certain position or is throughout?

You can take off the throttle pedal cable at the TPS on the TB. Then determine if it's in the TB or cable/pedal.

Then isolate whether it's in the cable/pedal box by disconnecting the cable at the pedal assembly.

Were you able to isolate where the stickyness is coming from? I assume your talking about a physical non-linearity when pressing on the pedal? Is it only happening at a certain position or is throughout?

You can take off the throttle pedal cable at the TPS on the TB. Then determine if it's in the TB or cable/pedal.

Then isolate whether it's in the cable/pedal box by disconnecting the cable at the pedal assembly.

Stickiness occurs throughout the pedal range. It definitely seems to be coming from the sensor built into the pedal. If placing my hand on the census and pressing the pedal, I can feel the "stickiness" resonate from the sensor.

Looks like Toyota only sells the whole assembly so I either live with it or cough up the cash.

I pulled the air intake and cleaned the butterfly and the throttle body and now initial acceleration is much smoother. not sure if this is the solution to your problem, but it might be worth a shot.

I've done all that on my TLC a couple of times. Standard maintenance item. I am think the extra effort is right at the pedal, not at the throttle.

Update: swapped in a factory pedal assembly. Problem solved.

In looking at the old one, there is no apparent issue. Will see if its as easy as drowning it in grease to restore smoothless, but the problem feels like its the actually sensor attached to the pedal.

Anyone ever work this to conclusion? The pedal/apps stickiness issue has cropped up on our 04. Before I pulled it out to play with trying to grease I figured I'd check here first.

I've had the same issue on my 01 lx. I use a special honda oil, made from hydrogenated base oils specifically for metal to metal slide surfaces. A few drops on the spring cleared it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom