Stereo FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 2000 lc and just removed the in dash cd6 . In stalled a kenwood it fit perfectly and I used the Metra 70-8113 . Very easy installation. I do have some questions. I'm getting a low level noise in the background. Running or not.

I did not hook up the black and grey wire on the Metra harness . Should I tie it into the factory ground or screw it to the chassis just leave it be? What does the second little wire next to antenna wire do and is it needed? Or do I just need a ground loop isolator... otherwise a very easy instal.

20170402_191357.jpg

Ok, I got the amp bypass harness delivered. It came with a) the harness for the speaker harness from the factory amp and then b) a smaller harness (red, blue, black, yellow) that plugs in to the factory harness behind the dash. So I have a few questions.....do I even use the small factory harness that is attached to the factory amp? The TLC site says to connect wires at the factory amp in order to relay the power and ground....I guess that will connect power to the smaller harness that connects to the factory harness?

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

Anyone? I would love to figure this out tonight/tomorrow.

Your G2G now right?

Yes. Got it hooked up and going great. Thanks for your help. I am going to get everything tidied up tomorrow...cut the dash trim, run the reverse camera, and learn Android stuff. Haven't been able to pair the OBDii with the Bluetooth yet. The head unit sees it but won't pair yet. Need to figure out the illumination too.

@sleepycruiser

Well if I'm reading this right it should be pin #2 on the plug that goes into the radio, showing it as green.

I'm totally being stupid and forgetting if you read electrical from top down, (I'm not an electrical engineer and don't pretend to be one!) But I can read and that helps... :)

Grounds are listed on the bottom of the page so if that's correct the "path" would be input on the green #2 wire but it passes through "bulbs" and heads out via a white wire with a green stripe at pin #12 and gets dispersed and I think is a common source for the grounding of lots of other smaller bulbs.

I'd tap the green #2 if it were mine.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks @Greenbean . I tapped green yesterday and it didn't work so I just tapped into the ACC. That takes the dim feature away but I just wanted the buttons illuminated. I have had Alpine, Pioneer, and Sony head units....in dash DVD/gps and nothing comes close to this one in screen quality and versatility. I ran the reverse camera and figured all of that out as well. I am having an issue with the video out on the head unit, but the seller has been EXTREMELY helpful and they are looking into it.

@jdayment you definitely want to check this out....very cool head unit. I still need to trim a little of my dash to make it fit perfectly but I don't have a dremel. The head unit has just about anything you could want. Also you can put in 2x 32gb cards so I can load about 50-60 movies on one and a ton of music on the other.

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

10-4,

So what make and model is it again?

Looks killer!

Oh if you need to borrow a dremel LMK and I'll swing it by your work one day this week and pick up that old radio also... :D

10-4,

So what make and model is it again?

Looks killer!

Oh if you need to borrow a dremel LMK and I'll swing it by your work one day this week and pick up that old radio also... :D

We could probably just dremel it in the parking lot real quick. I have the old radio in the back so I won't forget! ;)

It is out of stock at the moment but I am sure they will have some more.
Corehan 7" inch Android 5.1 Lollipop Double Din In Dash Radio Car Video Player with Bluetooth Wifi GPS Navigation System Amazon.com: Corehan 7" inch Android 5.1 Lollipop Double Din In Dash Radio Car Video Player with Bluetooth Wifi GPS Navigation System: GPS & Navigation

Well it isn't cordless and I think the gig would be up if your co-workers saw a 100ft ext cord headed out the door, hahaha

Thanks bro,

Text me on Sunday if you want it dropped off on Monday. I have a scheduled lunch with a family member in Asheville so I can come by afterwards.

We could probably just dremel it in the parking lot real quick. I have the old radio in the back so I won't forget! ;)

Corehan 7" inch Android 5.1 Lollipop Double Din In Dash Radio Car Video Player with Bluetooth Wifi GPS Navigation System Amazon.com: Corehan 7" inch Android 5.1 Lollipop Double Din In Dash Radio Car Video Player with Bluetooth Wifi GPS Navigation System: GPS & Navigation
How is this system working out. Started having some similar issues yesterday and will probably have to replace. Stock system w something. Preferably not expensive something. This seems like it may work.

I recently installed a new stereo from Crutchfield - a Kenwood Excelon DPX792BH. They supply a connector that plugs into the factory harness after splicing it to the stereo. Coming out of the stereo is a wire labeled - Amplifier Turn On. I initially did not connect this wire and when I powered on the new stereo nothing happened.

I then connected the Amplifier Turn On wire to the switched power wire going to the stereo from the factory harness. Powered up the stereo and it works!

However...when I turn on the car and the stereo powers up I am hearing a popping sound from the speakers. Kinda sounds like a power surge buzz/pop. It's not that loud and does not get louder if the volume is louder.

The power surge pop only lasts a second or so.

Any thoughts on what is going on? It's certainly something I could live with, but it's not supposed to do this, so I would like to solve it. I have not called Crutchfield tech, as I figured there are more LC100 stereo experts here.

Last edited:
I just installed a new setup last night on my 2002 LC. I did a lot of reading here before I started the install. It appears that a new head unit does not do well with the factory amp. There has been many cases of noise distortion. The solution is to install a factory amp bypass Metra 70-8116. This allows the new deck to power the speakers and has been reported to eliminate that noise. It involves running this harness from under your seat to up behind the dash.

IMG_1427.JPG

Replaced the Sony single din CD player w newer Sony touchscreen media player. The mounts that were on the old unit (w underneath storage box) mounted perfectly to new HU. Still running stock speakers and amp, but this deck rocks the mids/highs w Sub controls to level out bass nicely. Great CL find!

IMG_1428.JPG

Bump...
Hi y'all- I have a couple of questions. We have a <new to us> 2002 LC, which replaced our totaled 2000 LC (which we bought new in 2000), and...

1) I'm a tactile person and really HATE the touch screen nav/climate/etc- can I replace (don't care for Nav) and make climate controls analog???
2) if not, is there a hidden AUX somewhere in the stock JBL stereo? The previous owner would listen to his iPhone via a Radio Shack "tape" with a headphone wire. New phones don't have a headphone jack (yes, I'm sticking with Apple), so would need to bluetooth if no aux jack for a USB.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks..

You just made my choices a hundred times more complicated...;)

Looks like if I just wait a few more months will be even more head units running Andriod..

I had no idea this ''off brand radios'' where any good..

Last edited:
***** If anyone has an OEM stock head unit for a LC, 2001, to be exact, OEM, in dash disc unit, non arm rest disc deal, ... That works with out known issue, I'd be interested. I like OEM look and ease of cd, for my vintage. Mine won't play discs.

I'm also in no hurry as mine has been jacked for years, I'll edit this post should I get set up.

Thanks all.

Bump...
Hi y'all- I have a couple of questions. We have a <new to us> 2002 LC, which replaced our totaled 2000 LC (which we bought new in 2000), and...

1) I'm a tactile person and really HATE the touch screen nav/climate/etc- can I replace (don't care for Nav) and make climate controls analog???
2) if not, is there a hidden AUX somewhere in the stock JBL stereo? The previous owner would listen to his iPhone via a Radio Shack "tape" with a headphone wire. New phones don't have a headphone jack (yes, I'm sticking with Apple), so would need to bluetooth if no aux jack for a USB.

Thanks in advance!
This link shows you how to do it.

Pre-03 nav delete how-to

I took all of the old parts out and sold them on Ebay. I was able to pay for the new stereo, speakers, xm tuner add on and misc install parts plus pay myself for my time. If you are handy it is not a bad project.

This link shows you how to do it.

Pre-03 nav delete how-to

I took all of the old parts out and sold them on Ebay. I was able to pay for the new stereo, speakers, xm tuner add on and misc install parts plus pay myself for my time. If you are handy it is not a bad project.

Thanks TXSunDevil! While that thread is an atmosphere above my head, I know people who might say "OH... OK... THAT's how you do it!"

You rock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom