Steering Box Reseal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pitch

Driving from the 2nd row
SILVER Star
Threads
97 Cruiser really needs a reseal of the steering box, it is leaking at both ends. I am debating cracking it open and resealing it myself, or shipping it off to West Texas Offroad or Benchmark. For those that have done similar jobs, would you do it again/would you do differently the next time?

For reference I already purchased the Edelman seal kit for the box ($25 or so). WTO rebuild is $160 plus shipping. There is no excessive play, groaning, etc, and AFAIK, the pump side of the system is fine, just ATF on the box.

Thanks for the input.

Hey Pitch, what did you end up doing with this? I'm facing the same issue, Gates kit on the way.

These guys are local and do good work. I've had good experiences there.

I rebuilt it, but the adjustment screws was stripped out as I recall. No way to fix it without another core to pillage. So, I put in a rebuilt box from NAPA which was way more $ than it should have been. But it was in stock, and local when I needed it.

Easy enough to rebuild, and easy enough to royally f#$@ up as I found out. If given the chance again, I would pull it, and ship it out for a rebuild. But, I am a 2 🍌 🍌 level mechanic.

Thabks for the feedback! I'm seeking a rebuildable core now and will have them rebuild it. This power steering system leaking crap has plagued me the entire time I've had the truck and it's the first thing I'll tackle on any new truck in the future.

I resealed my 80 box about 6 months ago, it was pretty easy and has been leak free since.

The hardest part is getting all of the recirculating ball bearings back in correctly, but it's not bad.

It's totally within my ability but given I've had a steady leak of PS fluid for nearly 7 years and have been in that system about 5 times (reservoir, then hose, then another hose, then another reservoir, then the high pressure hoses) and have spent an enormous amount of money on it (with me doing all the work), I'm going to save all the lives of those around me by having it rebuilt. I'm already seething that I have to drain the entire thing, and de-grease the entire front end and the underside of the truck, and clean the driveway AGAIN for the 6th time. It's not a happy place for me. :mad:

It's totally within my ability but given I've had a steady leak of PS fluid for nearly 7 years and have been in that system about 5 times (reservoir, then hose, then another hose, then another reservoir, then the high pressure hoses) and have spent an enormous amount of money on it (with me doing all the work), I'm going to save all the lives of those around me by having it rebuilt. I'm already seething that I have to drain the entire thing, and de-grease the entire front end and the underside of the truck, and clean the driveway AGAIN for the 6th time. It's not a happy place for me. :mad:

No Doubt, I just went through the same thing. I had a slow leak from the pump for 6 years, it finally got to the point where it would drip about once a week so I decided to rebuild it. Decided to pull the alternator before pressure washing the truck, that turned into all new PS hoses, rebuilding the box, new idler pullies, water pump, coolant hoses, radiator, fan clutch, ac compressor and more... The about 500 miles after all of that, the front crank seal started leaking all over my new front axle...

No Doubt, I just went through the same thing. I had a slow leak from the pump for 6 years, it finally got to the point where it would drip about once a week so I decided to rebuild it. Decided to pull the alternator before pressure washing the truck, that turned into all new PS hoses, rebuilding the box, new idler pullies, water pump, coolant hoses, radiator, fan clutch, ac compressor and more... The about 500 miles after all of that, the front crank seal started leaking all over my new front axle...
The things I wish I knew....I went through the alternator twice, ended up with the 150A Sequoia eventually but what a pain to get to.

Oh, I did rebuild the PS pump, it was the very first thing I did on the truck. That makes it 7 times. :p

I firmly believe that any weakness in the PS system needs a full refresh as it just moves the leak/groaning issues to the next weakest part if you slowly rebuild/replace the pump, hoses, gearbox, etc. For instance, I'd never approach a cooling system in such a mish-mosh fashion (I'd just replace/rebuild it all at once) but I've never dealt with a troublesome PS system before. You live, you rage, you learn. :D

The things I wish I knew....I went through the alternator twice, ended up with the 150A Sequoia eventually but what a pain to get to.

Oh, I did rebuild the PS pump, it was the very first thing I did on the truck. That makes it 7 times. :p

I firmly believe that any weakness in the PS system needs a full refresh as it just moves the leak/groaning issues to the next weakest part if you slowly rebuild/replace the pump, hoses, gearbox, etc. For instance, I'd never approach a cooling system in such a mish-mosh fashion (I'd just replace/rebuild it all at once) but I've never dealt with a troublesome PS system before. You live, you rage, you learn. :D

Ouch...

That's definitely the best way. My wife has a hard time understanding how projects "happen" in my garage. Exactly because of this, it makes more sense to do everything at the same time. Power steering leak on my 80 turned into a new cooling and PS system, f/r axle swap, tires/wheels, paint, and re-wiring half of the truck. Front end vibration on my 100 series turned into a solid axle swap. it just happens

Ouch...

That's definitely the best way. My wife has a hard time understanding how projects "happen" in my garage. Exactly because of this, it makes more sense to do everything at the same time. Power steering leak on my 80 turned into a new cooling and PS system, f/r axle swap, tires/wheels, paint, and re-wiring half of the truck. Front end vibration on my 100 series turned into a solid axle swap. it just happens
Yup, the wives always understand how new curtains or carpet can turn into a full room addition on the house but the car confounds them.

You are a true master if you sold her on a front end vibration to a solid axle swap! I'm not worthy. :p