Builds Steel City Racing: King of the Hammers 2019 Toyota 4Runner IFS 4600 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Small Update:
- We ran into a few more 1-2 day delays over the past 2-weeks, but pushed through all of them - not without a good dose of stress and a few team problem-solving calls.
- The team worked on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, and plans to do some work tomorrow on New Years Day - they are Dedicated!
- Yes, we are now even tighter on the timeline, but our team is 100% confident we'll get everything done.
- The pressure is now on for both Robert Otwell and Wyatt Scott, who both fortunately seem to enjoy that position and are excited to be the "Closers" on this project!
- We also made a change on the rear axle that we'll discuss later on.

New Timeline:
- Right now we're targeting having all fab work completed by 1/25
- We'll then spend that next weekend (1/26-1/27) doing the final small stuff
- We'll plan to do some on-site testing the week of 1/28 (Otwell's shop is 30-mins from the lakebed). Note that our Icon Front Coilovers and Rear Shocks all have CDCV equipped for quick external tunability of the shocks.
- If testing all goes well, we'll get the wrap done later that week (takes 3-days).
- We aim to be on the lakebed by 2/2 or 2/3 if at all possible!

I hope to be able to post more pics soon!

I’d try to have your wrap company come and install the wrap while it’s at your fabricator’s shop. No way I would lose three days on a tight schedule to install a wrap.

Here's your wrap. Apply sticks over it

020066161170.jpg

I’d try to have your wrap company come and install the wrap while it’s at your fabricator’s shop. No way I would lose three days on a tight schedule to install a wrap.

Here's your wrap. Apply sticks over it

View attachment 1867524

Thanks everyone. I took everyone’s advice and got the wrap company down to 2-days and our timeline still works to have a solid wrap that matches the rendering as of now. If something goes wrong, he’s also willing to come to the shop to install to save us a trip. And We’ll have stickers for worst case scenario.

Thanks for the reminder. We’re feeling the pressure but are still tracking well to the new timeline above as of today.

Also my co-driver and I had our first prep call with our Crew Chief that Justin is allowing us to share with him tonight - he’s solid and we’re blessed to have him!

As always, more to come soon.

It's a privilege to have a legend, Marlin himself, dropping off our 4Runner at Otwell Welding and Fabrication. Here is Marlin with Robert Otwell in the Lucerne Valley.

A huge thanks to Big Mike and Marlin himself at Marlin Crawler and to Wyatt at RockSolidToys for partnering with us on this adventure and for introducing us to Robert Otwell who is leading the charge on our Cage build!
We have some HUGE 2" DOM going into the 4Runner as we speak! I also heard that Robert and Wyatt had a blast kicking out the windshield this morning!
49418280_484536072070338_802720595824345088_n.jpg

Also, we had a few more sponsors join the build (Welcome!), so a new side rendering with revised logos is warranted. Hopefully this is the final version that we'll use for the wrap!
49476308_484552248735387_4259552215447896064_n.jpg

Given our timeline, our #1 priority is simply getting the work done right. Snagging in-process build pics is far down the list, so please continue to be patient with us and I'll try my best to post anything the team has time to send.

Last edited:
I will say it...pics or it did not happen! :)

Proud to have two of the best closers in the business - Wyatt with RockSolidToys and Robert with Otwell Welding and Fabrication - closing out the fabrication part of our build over the next few weeks.

Robert and Wyatt, thanks for being a huge part of our SteelCityRacing team!
49283510_484854722038473_5584645004602638336_n.jpg

Soooo are the axles in?
lift on?
I see no tires on.
Transfer case?

How about some shots of the current condition.

Soooo are the axles in?
lift on?
I see no tires on.
Transfer case?

How about some shots of the current condition.

Great questions!

Axles: Front is Done, Rear will show up on 1/15. We may go into more details later, but we swapped to a Dynatrac ProRock 60 in the rear and it's being finished as we speak.

Suspension: Front is Done, Rear is ready to be burned in, but Wyatt is letting Otwell get ahead on the Cage on the ground before we put it on the lift.

Atlas II: Will go in before or at the same time as the Rear Suspension. Again, it has to be on the lift. We're dividing and conquering here - Wyatt has an expert from his shop that is handling the Atlas II (he's done a ton of them) while Wyatt is doing the Rear Suspension himself.

Tires: One is fully mounted for cycling the suspension (just to the right of the pic with Wyatt/Robert). 7 Wheels and 7 Tires will be mounted before the race, likely by me in Robert's shop for hours later this month. The final 2 tires are saved for replenishments between Wed and Fri.

Pics: Patience :). You'll know why in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
I'm anxious to see if the front ring and pinion make it a single lap, particularly with those beautiful (basically unbreakable) RCV's transmitting any shock load directly to your third member.

I'm anxious to see if the front ring and pinion make it a single lap, particularly with those beautiful (basically unbreakable) RCV's transmitting any shock load directly to your third member.
Yes, We are excited to see how it holds up too. The RCVs will not break! So we have definitely increased strength across the board, but certainly transferred the weak link to the diff at the same time.

Marlin did upgrade a few internal and we’re running big 4.56 Nitros to give us our best shot at strength.

BigMike spoke to a few experts at FJ Summit and they said it is surprisingly stronger than anyone thinks. Most break CVs. Hardly anyone breaks the diff.

But we know not to run it hard in especially in reverse. We’re also going to avoid the front ARB as much as possible and worst case scenario can run some desert sections in 2WD with the Atlas, but only if we have to.

First lap is mostly desert, he will be ok. It is when the front locker in engaged and he is going up Chocolate thunder is when we have to worry. I would never think about running in 2wd in the desert, you need the front end to pull you straight when you get loose at 70+.

First lap is mostly desert, he will be ok. It is when the front locker in engaged and he is going up Chocolate thunder is when we have to worry. I would never think about running in 2wd in the desert, you need the front end to pull you straight when you get loose at 70+.
Agreed! We’re going to run 4wd full time and will use brake techniques to help us in the rock trail sections so we can try to avoid engaging the front locker if possible.

We’ll see how much we can do without the front engaged in testing.

My comment above on 2wd was in the event we actually break the Front Diff, at least we can try to keep going as far as we can in 2wd.

Last edited:
BigMike spoke to a few experts at FJ Summit and they said it is surprisingly stronger than anyone thinks. Most break CVs. Hardly anyone breaks the diff.

FJ Summit? Dude

FJ Summit? Dude
It might have been the owner of Nitro Gears or something like that - I can’t remember exactly who BigMike was speaking with, but they were an expert on Toyota Front Diffs...

It had nothing to do with the actual FJ summit - there are just tons of Toyota Experts/Vendors there...so BigMike was asking for advice on the front diff from the experts. Most seemed to think that our setup was stronger than anyone would have guessed.

And until another, compact yet strong front diff option is invented, it's the only diff that can fit given our Front Setup and KOH 4600 Rules... The Currie F9 wouldn't even fit...

Last edited:
So far I've been 100% focused on making sure the team and I have everything we need to complete the build and get us to the starting line. As of today, the only logistical item I have left is how we get the 4Runner back home to AL once the race is done.

We have no idea what condition it'll be in after we race 4600 AND hopefully 4400. And I'm also a bit torn about even bringing it back to AL since I'd love to run the Mint 400 and Baja 1000 in it this year, if by some miracle those opportunities present themselves...!

For now, if YOU know of anyone racing KOH 2019 from the Southeast who will have a trailer big enough to carry another vehicle, please PM me. I'd love to split gas/travel costs with someone and lock in a way to get it home.

Once we get somewhere within the Southeastern US, I have family with a trailer that can help me get it the last leg of the journey. Someone racing from GA/TN/MS would be ideal as our house is only 10-mins from I-20.

The rig is idle today - the day of rest! Otwell felt great about his progress on the cage when he finally stopped late last night. We'll have more to share early next week.

Quick Update: We're busy building our cage. A, B, and D pillars are now set and we've mostly locked in our seat placement.

Once Otwell gives me the green light that he likes how it's all coming together, I'll begin posting some pics. Right now the only pics I have are rough ones where we were debating placement options. He's working on the Dash/Windshield bars now. The cargo area will come later and is going to be "complex" with the spare tire, spare parts, fuel cell, fuel cell firewall, filler hose setup, etc.

Wyatt and his team are back in the Lucerne Valley at Otwell's shop later this week working on the Atlas II and getting everything ready for the Rear Suspension. I hinted at this earlier, but we decided to make a change on the rear axle. We're now going with a Dynatrac ProRock 60 - Dynatrac has been really great to work with on this build and Wyatt has developed a great relationship with them. The PR60 will be completed and at Otwell's shop early to mid next week so we can finalize the rear 4-link.

I'll feel much better when final welding on the cage, small stuff (including Wrap/Exhaust/Etc), and testing is all we have left! Right now there's still a lot of work to do!

While I'm in AL, my 4600 Co-Driver and I have also been working on Pit Crew Logistics with our Crew Chief (shared with @RustyNailsJustin). Brittain knows his stuff and I'm glad to have him double checking everything to make sure we don't have any last minute surprises.

Lastly, I worked with Roxy and our Tech Inspection is now set for one of the earliest spots - 8am on Monday. I grabbed this early slot so we can have plenty of time to fix anything Tech throws at us before 4600 on Wed. Given I've literally memorized the rule book at this point, we expect it to go smoothly.

I hope you have someone out there your size to test fit the seat for you. Might make it tough to reach the pedals and all your controls...

I hope you have someone out there your size to test fit the seat for you. Might make it tough to reach the pedals and all your controls...

Yeah, it's not ideal, but we're doing the best we can. First, I actually set the seats on sliders connected to the factory bolt holes (so we retained alignment) when I left it in CA and Otwell has them "in position" for measurements. Secondly, Otwell is 5'10" and Hobie & I are both 6'0". However, I like to be closer than farther away, so setting the seats around a 5'11" Driver seems about right so long as our knees don't hit anything. Third, the ideal B-Pillar placement on the cage functionally limits just how far back we can go with the front seats anyway - and it's probably at the 5'11" comfort zone from current placement, which limits our risk of being Too Long.

So, with all 3 of these, we think we're getting it dialed in the best we can.

I first want to get everyone caught up on some recent sponsors:

1) I'm excited to announce that we're partnering with PowerTank for our Onboard Air System at King of the Hammers. We'll be running their 10lb Comp Package setup with Extra HD Clamps to attach the system to our 2" Roll Cage. With our PowerTank system and plugs, we hope to avoid changing tires wherever possible!
49997387_487301481793797_4037740085439889408_n.jpg

2) I believe I touched on this earlier in the thread, but we're partnering with Bubba Rope on our Full Synthetic Recovery Gear. Our team will be carrying a Bubba Rope 7/8” x 30’ Power Stretch Recovery Rope, Gator-Jaw Pro Synthetic Shackles, and their Black Opp 3” x 20’ Nylon Tow Strap. With Bubba Rope, combined with our Warn winches, we’re now running the best recovery products in the industry.
Bubba Rope Products are High Strength, Low Weight, and Ultra Safe!
49895914_487306055126673_5117841738098016256_n.jpg

50029823_487306085126670_4662517231253454848_n.jpg

49716151_487306111793334_5231353574792888320_n.jpg

3) We also got in our 4602 Vinyl Race Numbers. Given the specs in the Ultra4 Rules (7" Tall, Black, Arial Narrow), I got a local shop to make 4 sets for me. We'll cut out 4 "Shark Fin" number plates from Lexan or sheet metal and paint them Light Blue background. We'll then simpy apply these on top before the race:
49766505_487316701792275_2223483747137748992_o.jpg

I'm still working on one final sponsor that I hope comes through for us later this week!

On the fabrication front:
1) The cage is moving along really well. We got the windshield bar set yesterday and Otwell is working his magic again today!
2) The Dynatrac ProRock 60 should arrive early next week.
3) Wyatt is picking up our Custom Icon Vehicle Dynamics 2.5" Rear Shocks with Remote Reservoirs and CDCV and our Icon Rear Coils Later Today. Icon has been a true pleasure to work with - they are bending over backwards for this build! We hope to have these installed next week!

Special thanks again to PowerTank, Bubba Rope, Dynatrac, and Icon Vehicle Dynamics for partnering with us on our 2019 King of the Hammers build!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom