Steel cable vs synthetic rope (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We have 12k warn winches with 3/8 steel cable on our power company F550 work trucks in Moab. The trucks are over loaded and we snap winch lines often. No big deal stand in the clear when winching don't get in the bite. I would like to see them put larger diameter synthetic line on our winches but like most companies it's all about safety til it cost money. I don't like how people are criminalized for using steel. Mostly by people who work in cubicles with no real world experience and soft hands.

Last edited:
We have 12k warn winches with 3/8 steel cable on our power company F550 work trucks in Moab. The trucks are over loaded and we snap winch lines often. No big deal stand in the clear when winching don't get in the bite. I would like to see them put larger diameter synthetic line on our winches but like most companies it's all about safety til it cost money. I don't like how people are criminalized for using steel. Mostly by people who work in cubicles with no real world experience with soft hands.
Do you use snatch blocks ever?

We use snatch blocks, but usually we are dragging out the winch line to the nearest anchor point. In Moab thay are far and few between usually not enough line to double back to the truck. We also use our winches for bringing power lines up to tension (usually multiple snatch blocks and rigging).

Last edited:
I have been using wire rope since 1991, will continue using wire rope until I assume room temperature.

Steel
5F56538E-E12F-4282-95FF-19637BB992CE.jpeg

Well, IMHO, it's plain to see that trying to convince synthetic rope users why I'm (and maybe other wire rope users are) not convinced to switch to synthetic, is a waste of time.

But just in case:

Since I have wire ropes on my winches that are in excellent shape and have no issues using them, scrapping them and buying new high quality and high $ synthetic ropes would be - well insane. And after watching some Youtube videos, one about cleaning it :inpain: - are you serious? :hilarious: Go down the whole length, pinching it to open it up to get the foreign debri out :yawn: sorry, I've got better things to do. Although, some of them are entertaining, like this one where, at about 1:53, the guy mentions how one of the advantages is how much easier it is to drag up a steep hill, especially when that hill is covered in mud, and then at 2:02 how you need to keep it nice and clean o_O. And this one where at about 1:00, they tell you to dry it, in the shade, not in the sun...:hilarious:. The tests on comparing strength & rope breakage behavior are compelling, but are done on a test machine under laboratory conditions - not real world. I'll admit - yes, synthetic is safer and lighter and easy to handle. But, not as durable and definitely higher maintenance. Wire rope requires care, too. But, not so much. Off road and overlanding environments are filthy for equipment use and since I have wire rope experience and better things to do and worry about, I'll stick with "steel".

Last edited:
No ones really argued anything for steel except for the ability to abuse it....

As for cleaning rope..... Its pretty hard to string it out and hose it off :rolleyes:
I think the uv argument has merit, its pretty much negated by a cover or the fact that basically only the outer wrap is exposed.

IMO if these guys are having high success rate in salty marine environments im not going to trip it riding on my bumper. Lol
As far as "chinese dyneema" my understanding is that "dyneema" is proprietary and is only the good s***. AmSteel is someone rebadging it. Meaning there is actually no chinese dyneema, do your homework when buying

No ones really argued anything for steel except for the ability to abuse it....

As for cleaning rope..... Its pretty hard to string it out and hose it off :rolleyes:
I think the uv argument has merit, its pretty much negated by a cover or the fact that basically only the outer wrap is exposed.

IMO if these guys are having high success rate in salty marine environments im not going to trip it riding on my bumper. Lol
As far as "chinese dyneema" my understanding is that "dyneema" is proprietary and is only the good s***. AmSteel is someone rebadging it. Meaning there is actually no chinese dyneema, do your homework when buying
Well, from my understanding of synthetic rope cleaning, if that's all you're doing - it's incomplete. Watch the videos. Your rope when used and dragged through mother nature is absorbing dirt & such that is abrasive to the internal fibers. Just hosing it off doesn't get it clean and the debri still in it will weaken it with continued use and over time. As far as marine use - well I'm not a sailor so I'm not concerned with their use. Apples & oranges as far as I'm concerned. To me, the advantages of ease of use do not outweigh the higher maintenance and caution required to use it. As far as safety, I'm well aware and respect the dangers inherent of wire rope use and assume the responsibility during it's use when I'm involved. YMMV

Yep, you're definitely the exspurt on steel cable.....

@gnob just because someone (me included) disagrees with your point of view does not make them a retard or uninformed.

Did you exactly say that...no, but you have certainly implied it several times in this thread. Both sides have merit, admit it, then go on about your business. Good grief!

Just got my 5th winch spread over 43 years. First 3 were wire rope. Last 2 are synthetic. I've had 5 different wire ropes fail on those first 3 winches. Never had a synthetic line to fail.. 2 wire and one synthetic were used in a commercial setting. They were used hard and ABUSED. After the results, I wouldn't use a wire rope equipped winch again. FAR safer, along with a dozen other considerations that lead me to believe synthetic lines are now "automatic".

Just got my 5th winch spread over 43 years. First 3 were wire rope. Last 2 are synthetic. I've had 5 different wire ropes fail on those first 3 winches. Never had a synthetic line to fail.. 2 wire and one synthetic were used in a commercial setting. They were used hard and ABUSED. After the results, I wouldn't use a wire rope equipped winch again. FAR safer, along with a dozen other considerations that lead me to believe synthetic lines are now "automatic".
That's impressive! Myself, I've been around winches and used them for about the last 55 years or so - well before they started using synthetic winch lines. So you've had 5 failures with wire rope? Makes me wonder how many failures you would've had if it had always been synthetic you were running. Sounds like you'd probably say zero. I'm curious to hear some more details on your wire rope failures. Being a wire rope user, I'd kinda like to know what I need to avoid doing so I don't have a failure.

That's impressive! Myself, I've been around winches and used them for about the last 55 years or so - well before they started using synthetic winch lines. So you've had 5 failures with wire rope? Makes me wonder how many failures you would've had if it had always been synthetic you were running. Sounds like you'd probably say zero. I'm curious to hear some more details on your wire rope failures. Being a wire rope user, I'd kinda like to know what I need to avoid doing so I don't have a failure.

No way of knowing if or how many wire rope fails would have been prevented or not... Calls for speculation. Not doing that.

Most of the wire rope problems were as a result of kinks/sharp bends in line. A couple problems are from high use of a snatch block. Synthetic seems to be less prone to those issues in everyday use.

Both have good sides and bad, synthetic seems safer and less weight. It's proven reliable and strong.

Last edited:
No way of knowing if or how many wire rope fails would have been prevented or not... Calls for speculation. Not doing that.....
Good call! I like your attitude.

.....Most of the wire rope problems were as a result of kinks/sharp bends in line. A couple problems are from high use of a snatch block. Synthetic seems to be less prone to those issues in everyday use.......
One negative thing about wire rope is it's sensitivity to how it's stored on the spool. For longevity, you need to be anal about having neat wraps when put away and especially preceding a hard pull. And when you consider metal fatigue, constant or frequent use will shorten it's life. And if you get a kink in it, it's days are numbered and should be replaced asap, for safety's sake. Definitely avoid extreme pulls with a kinked wire rope or a messy wrapped spool.

.......Both have good sides and bad, synthetic seems safer and less weight. It's proven reliable and strong.
I always wince when running out the wire rope for a pull. It is definitely more difficult to handle, but with proper care and handling, it's not as high maintenance as synthetic, plus it's what I'm now, using. Upgrading to synthetic, for my casual use is just not a high priority or a necessity. Nor does the higher maintenance appeal to me. But, I can't deny the superior safety and ease of use when properly cared for. For quick and easy setup to yank out a stuck rig, you can't beat synthetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom