Starter motor conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey.
Newbie here
I have an 83 HJ47 and Ive gone and bought a new starter motor for her. Which means the external relay is surplus to requirements. Is it an easy by pass for the wiring or should I take her into an auto sparky? Having no success with trying to find answers to this one. I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm not seeing it! Haha.
Thanks in advance.

You still need the relay, why do you think it’s surplus? Unless you mean solenoid (which is attached to the stater), which will come off and the new one will have one too.

Although I'm very ok with being wrong about that. I am under the impression that newer starter motors have the relay on the unit now, instead of having an external relay, which sits in your foot well, passenger side in my model.

No every Landcruiser has an external starter relay (even brand new vdj79) - I assume every car even. Your new starter will still need an external relay - it won’t have one, just a solenoid. The solenoid will still pull more current than the ignition switch and wiring can handle, and it would be a big and counterproductive job.

Changing the starter motor should be a very quick and easy job on an hj47, jut put the wires on the new one as they came off the old one

You’re not confusing it with the alternator are you? Originals have external regs but you can fit aftermarket with internals them you do have to bypass the original reg

Nope, definitely the starter relay. It's what it says on the can 👌 I'll post a pic when I get home

Looks like I'm an idiot. Talked to another mate about this and he told me, yes you still need the starter relay in the starter sequence. Excuse me while I go hang my head in shame. Electrics is a dark and foreign art

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom