SST for F302 differential rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to rebuild the 7.5 inch differential, F302, in my 83 pickup, 22R, 1/2 ton, 2WD.

I’m looking for information on the SST 09530-30012, Differential Drive Pinion Adjusting Gauge.

I know there are other ways to set the pinion depth, but for now I’m hoping to find out whatever I can about this SST.

Internet searches have not been helpful.

I’ve seen discussions on this forum about SSTs like the one I want.

Thanks for any help.

Having a drop out diff unit is hard to do pinion preloads unless you have a holder or mount, setting the depth is not hard as long you have the necessary shims.
I have built most Dana's just dummy it in and get your marks a few corporate diff are easier when you are swapping shims. What you really need is this tool.

Thanks for the feedback.

Two questions.

Is it a remedy for excessive ring gear runout (0.005 [measured 70,000 miles ago] when the specified max. is 0.0028) by replacing side bearings with 266,000 miles on them, but never abused in any way, with new bearings?

Also, with the rear wheels off the ground, one wheel jammed, and the drive shaft held still, the other wheel has backlash of about 1 inch measured at the tire tread. Is this excessive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom