SPOT sale/rebate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.george4wd.taskled.com
Just received an email from Spot (I have one of their units).

Limited time (next few months) chance to purchase the hardware and then get a rebate cheque to cover the cost. Obviously you have to pay for the service, but for anyone thinking of purchasing Spot, now is a good time.

Here's the link to their product offerings:

FREE SPOT HOLIDAY OFFERS

Just a satisfied customer...

cheers,
george.

that looks like a good deal. Does the device actually show your latitude and longitude? I'd like to use it to plot my location on the paper maps I carry. One of these days I'll get everything on my smart phone.....

Spot units "transmit" your location and ID to the Spot system (via satellite) and that then gets texted/emailed etc to the folk on your list. Of course if you press the SOS button then the emergency services are sent out. The basic unit has no display and is just a rugged unit that has an internal GPS and a transmitter to send the packets to the Spot satellite constellation - basically a self contained unit.

Decent smart phones already have a GPS (and gyro and magnetometer for compass) and I just run oziexplorer (android app) to display my position/tracks etc on the topo maps I have loaded. I use that in oz and in the US. I also have the same app running on an android tablet (larger screen and easier to look at in the vehicle). When 'away' from cell, I just power off the cell radio in the smart phone (which increases battery life significantly) and use the phone as a GPS, compass, camera etc.

I prefer to have separate units to do separate jobs, versus all my eggs in one basket (single point failure => death, when far from help).

cheers,
george.

Thanks for the spot device not having a display. I understand the functionality of the Spot system, and all the other gps stuff. My Garmin gps II+ has seen a lot, and need to be retired.

George,
Thanks for the info.
What plan do you use?

I have the basic plan - no tracking. The basic unit allows you to send 2 types of non-emergency messages - so one I use as a "all ok, made camp, not moving today' and the other 'all ok, moving today'. That way my wife/friends have an idea of whether I'm on the move or not. Then there's a Help message that only goes to your contact list (basically non-life threatening, but you require help - i.e. you've essentially broken down etc) and then of course the "call out the cavalry/emergency services" button. I'll also pay the small fee that covers emergency extraction (helicopter etc), seems like a good idea and is cheap enough.

cheers,
george.

I may have to get one. I got in some serious trouble with the wife last time out in Big Bend. No cell service there but there is wifi at the camp store. Well it was down so I couldn't check in to say I made it and I couldn't get cell service until the following evening. Probably well worth the service.

I may have to get one. I got in some serious trouble with the wife last time out in Big Bend. No cell service there but there is wifi at the camp store. Well it was down so I couldn't check in to say I made it and I couldn't get cell service until the following evening. Probably well worth the service.

Yep, that's why I have a Spot unit. Was out bush in oz with a mate and we decided to spend a few days more bush before heading back. Wife was NOT happy when I didn't check in when I said I was going to. Starting calling mates to find out where I was...

Now I have a Spot unit :)

cheers,
george.

I just got my Gen3 delivered in the mail (back order from the store). I have been looking at these for awhile. My recent forays into solo hiking and 4 wheeling got me thinking about one, but the price tag for the unit and the service plan was a bit much. So, with the "free" device (and a gift card from the store) they dang near paid me to get one. The GEOS insurance policy option is VERY nice

Thanks for the tip George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom