Spindle Bushing Assesment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of rebuilding my knuckles on my 77' and got to the point of ordering parts. At this point I'm trying to assess the condition of my spindle bushings. I've spent most of a day looking through FSMs and reading posts on Mud. Lots of statements like "replace em if they're worn" or "They last forever, you most likely don't need new ones". But nothing on a clearance limit or even and original Dia or anything. I found one post where the manufacturer of Longfields told someone .010. But that's it. Mine don't "LOOK" bad. But they currently have .010 clearance which strikes me as generous. But hell, who knows. So I'm attempting to find out is anyone has ever come up with some actual numbers for these ?

Haha I replaced mine in the 80 series and they didn't fit. Turned out they needed to be machined. It was nearly cheaper to buy a brand new spindle with bushing pre installed so I went down that path.
In hindsight there was no need to replace it. The old original one was fine, just caused me headaches.

Haha I replaced mine in the 80 series and they didn't fit. Turned out they needed to be machined. It was nearly cheaper to buy a brand new spindle with bushing pre installed so I went down that path.
In hindsight there was no need to replace it. The old original one was fine, just caused me headaches.
Based on what measurement. I can find nothing to gauge whether one is worn out or not.

I have no idea what measurements, that's part the reason I didn't go down that path. Ill be going with if it doesn't look worn, don't replace it from now on.
And if i do need to replace it, ill be buying another spindle with it already installed like last time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom