Speedhut Gauges in your 60... wow! Best money spent! (1 Viewer)

Which background

• Black

Votes: 39 81.3%
  • White

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok here’s the facts
After my mileage and my fuel gauge , @Mace got me questioning my fuel level. I decided to investigate not wanting to run the diesel dry.
I have gone 214.5 miles on this tank so far. The tank is 8” deep to bottom of the float gasket. I marked a piece of clean wood and found my diesel fuel level at 5” deep. At the fuel pump I’m not sure how full the tank gets when it clicks off but I don’t think is completely 100% 8” of fuel deep in the tank.

Copy that... 528 miles is the best I ever got out of a tank of diesel. Avg was around 470 miles per. IIRC the stock tank has a 1/2" or 5/8" buffer from top of tank to actual full level.

J

Okay here’s what I’m finding.
To make it easier we’ll do 215 miles in 3” of fuel if the tank is totally filled to top, no air gap. That’s 71.7 miles per inch of diesel in the tank. Tank is 8” deep x 71.7 miles per inch = 573.6 miles roughly.
573.6 total miles divided by 23 gallons= 24.939 mpg.
This is not just flat land driving. To work I descend 1500’ in elevation in 9 miles to the highway. 5 miles on the flat highway. Climb 600’ elevation in a mile and 2 miles flat land to work.

I just installed a Speedhut speedometer. It is accurate and I'll get an accurate mpg calculation soon. I was a little suspicious at first but it seems to work very well. After 20 years of calculating my speed it has been an adjustment to believe the speedometer.

I've been close to 400 miles with a stock tank but I always estimated due to tire size.

I have a carport between my house and shop with a metal roof. One important thing about the speedometer and odometer is that I need to back out and let the Speedhut sync with GPS before I start driving. This can happen quickly or has taken up to a minute. Not really annoying as it gives my motor a chance to wake up. If I start to drive before it sync’s then it may not do so until I get down to the flat land, that’s about 6 miles away, due to my hilly and forested terrain. This is the only thing about the gauges I’ve had to get used to. If you live in the city or park out in the open it’ll sync quickly. At work it’s within 5-10 seconds.

I have a carport between my house and shop with a metal roof. One important thing about the speedometer and odometer is that I need to back out and let the Speedhut sync with GPS before I start driving. This can happen quickly or has taken up to a minute. Not really annoying as it gives my motor a chance to wake up. If I start to drive before it sync’s then it may not do so until I get down to the flat land, that’s about 6 miles away, due to my hilly and forested terrain. This is the only thing about the gauges I’ve had to get used to. If you live in the city or park out in the open it’ll sync quickly. At work it’s within 5-10 seconds.

Did you supply the optional key-off 12v connection for remembering GPS location with the key off?

Wondering if the metal roof throws it for a loop.

Did you supply the optional key-off 12v connection for remembering GPS location with the key off?

Wondering if the metal roof throws it for a loop.
It’s the metal roof for sure
I put it on my house and had to get a M-cell booster for my cell phone.

The Speedhut and stock Toyota fuel sending unit combo is very inaccurate so going with this Floatless Fuel sending unit. Recommended by @FJ60Cam Thanks Cam
Floatless Fuel Sending Unit
Tanks, Inc. manufactures fuel system components and polyethylene, steel and stainless steel gas tanks for street rods and special interest vehicles.
www.tanksinc.com
@TRAIL TAILOR is making an adapter plate for this sender unit. Thanks J
Order 7”sender 90 ohm option.
Can’t wait for this to get my fuel level accurate. Going off mileage does work with the accuracy of the Speedhut odometer but tank to tank mileage varies.

I’m ready to get my Speedhut fuel gauge working accurately. @TRAIL TAILOR did you have the adapter ready for purchase for the FJ60 tank flange to the fuel sender unit?

I
The Speedhut and stock Toyota fuel sending unit combo is very inaccurate so going with this Floatless Fuel sending unit. Recommended by @FJ60Cam Thanks Cam
Floatless Fuel Sending Unit
Tanks, Inc. manufactures fuel system components and polyethylene, steel and stainless steel gas tanks for street rods and special interest vehicles.
www.tanksinc.com
@TRAIL TAILOR is making an adapter plate for this sender unit. Thanks J
Order 7”sender 90 ohm option.
Can’t wait for this to get my fuel level accurate. Going off mileage does work with the accuracy of the Speedhut odometer but tank to tank mileage varies.

I’m ready to get my Speedhut fuel gauge working accurately. @TRAIL TAILOR did you have the adapter ready for purchase for the FJ60 tank flange to the fuel sender unit?
IIRC, TT looked at I think and discovered you only need to drill a couple extra holes as a couple already line up.

Just purchased the floatless fuel sender. 90 ohms 7” length.
235B7C29-2528-45BB-83B8-5557B6A6A453.png

Has anyone hooked up cruise control with GPS speedo? Looks like my only option is to use the OBD port but I had hopped to use that for a gear display for the tranny.
Thoughts?

Has anyone hooked up cruise control with GPS speedo? Looks like my only option is to use the OBD port but I had hopped to use that for a gear display for the tranny.
Thoughts?

You can try an OBD splitter. I use one for a scanguage and my Dakota Digital tach adapter.

How are you calibrating it? Does it match any of the pre-programmed ohm-curves?
I need to recalibrate. What I’m wondering is wire orientation right now. Going to get the proper size bolts now.
976EFB40-2F5D-4C8F-84A9-A8D76C95206A.jpeg

96D318B4-9375-4AD7-8C0F-D0C4D3E6BFC6.jpeg
E15E9E00-A77C-47F0-AB88-B7ADF707FF90.jpeg
8E01025B-CF62-4163-B6DC-B5DBB35AA536.jpeg
92F1BBA1-38DE-4EE1-BE50-C53FF6871C64.jpeg

Spending time with Ryder learning how to work on the 60 is the best part of being a dad.

Last edited:
Had time this evening to calibrate and test the Speedhut Gauges with the new fuel gauge sending unit. In order to play with the sender I made a pigtail to run from rear of 60 to the front seat. I connected yellow/ red to white and black/ white to black.
168F4AFC-1AA8-42C3-8C06-D49A77039D78.jpeg

Connected wire to fuel sender
D2669016-8661-4E4D-97D6-626C2AF44DA0.jpeg

Then taped the connection
7D7ACEA8-9909-499D-8B25-CAB3F2A411CB.jpeg

Finding how to access the fuel calibration menu was the hardest part. I accidentally reset the odometer. I was able to adjust the mileage back to where it was supposed to be.
After digging through my file of paperwork in the Project Snowball❄ file I found the right one.
To access the fuel menu you have to press and hold button when turning ignition. Once you do that it has you set the empty ohms.
4A44D1B1-6599-475B-9993-476A440F9788.jpeg

Then the full ohms.
7B198BC3-C559-41C8-820E-91A315FB9569.jpeg

I have the 4MM bolts so tomorrow I’ll mount the fuel sending unit.

Last edited:
I wrapped up the fuel sender today.
C0D8FD97-1B9F-4B21-91E2-5F53A9FE19EA.jpeg

Drilled all the holes on the with 5/16” drill bit. Widened one hole to 3/8”. My tank was about 1/2 full. Put sender in tank and it read FULL:doh:
Decided instead of just flipping the sender to calibrate I’d actually put it in a container of fuel. Ran my pigtail from factory fuel level harness up to the drivers seat and connected sender. Filled a small container with fuel just below the bottom of flange on sender. Programmed the EMPTY ( 0 ohms ) and then stuck the sender in the fuel to get FULL ( 89 ohms).
Put the sender in the tank and walaaa!!!:bounce:
1E915259-F0B4-404C-BAE0-DC57366806A4.jpeg

Bolted the sender down.
26F372AB-594B-4BD2-BC27-CACD5349D145.jpeg

Added on some wire loom.
4A7DA3B2-7B59-4D1C-BE34-6ED17C33746F.jpeg

All done, time to go enjoy this beautiful day
D81A3088-C3C0-464F-8686-59E86876FA53.jpeg

Has anyone installed this floatless on a 62? I'm trying to install TNK-T-GML-07 in my 62 and it's catching the end of a baffle bracket and not allowing the top to sit flush. Anyone have similar experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom