Sorry, Another Real Steel Soft Top Bow Question (1 Viewer)

I have a 69 that I am having Julie at Dirt Road make a top for me, I am still waiting on the top but decided to get the bows ready and fit but I seem to have an issue. If I measure my hard top it seems my opening at the top of the door is much smaller than what I end up with the bows. Am I supposed to cut the crossbar that goes up the door frame or is there a way to adjust the doors to make them fit better.

89119780-E8A6-40A2-8C51-A34560A457EE.jpeg

B09CDF00-7BF3-4F12-9210-D02796CA116C.jpeg

53F586FC-3164-4501-A4CE-F7AF28A6DC3F.jpeg

52C376AA-9A6B-4A2E-BE39-D54DC9EB04B4.jpeg

Last edited:

whitey45

SILVER Star
There is a difference between early and late model doors. The later bows slant in a bit at the top. Looks like you have early doors. Bolt it up and fit a door and see what kind of gap you have at the top. I think it can be tweaked a bit to fit.

There is a difference between early and late model doors. The later bows slant in a bit at the top. Looks like you have early doors. Bolt it up and fit a door and see what kind of gap you have at the top. I think it can be tweaked a bit to fit.
The issue is my doors slant in and the new door frames don’t. Even with the latch plate as loose as I can make it the doors are really tight at the top and stick out at the bottom. I asked about fit before I bought everything and was told it would work. s***.

When a rear corner window was added to the hard top the B pillar angled in. This was during 1965 on the FJ40. Our soft tops continued with straight B pillar until 74. US market always had soft doors with our soft tops and not convinced our 74 FST B pillar bow angled in. My newest bows are from my 2/73 FST. See the 74 date listed as the change but many markets used hard doors with the FST. So those angled well before 74. I'm with Whitey factory bows and factory soft doors are the best.

Real steel should list two different B bows depending on which style door being used. If your buying bows good chance your using the original angled doors. The angle if you look, on your hard top sides is right at the bottom of the side window. Putting a straight edge on your hard top side can see right where it is.

When a rear corner window was added to the hard top the B pillar angled in. This was during 1965 on the FJ40. Our soft tops continued with straight B pillar until 74. US market always had soft doors with our soft tops and not convinced our 74 FST B pillar bow angled in. My newest bows are from my 2/73 FST. See the 74 date listed as the change but many markets used hard doors with the FST. So those angled well before 74. I'm with Whitey factory bows and factory soft doors are the best.

Real steel should list two different B bows depending on which style door being used. If your buying bows good chance your using the original angled doors. The angle if you look, on your hard top sides is right at the bottom of the side window. Putting a straight edge on your hard top side can see right where it is.
Unfortunately they only list one and say “1965-1984 OEM reproduction soft top frame”. That’s it. Looks like I need to find soft doors now. I got my top and bows through Julie at Dirt Road tops since she makes the top and I figured she would know what fits best.

Real steel only offers a straight bow. They can be modified to fit later doors, but it is work. Make sure you know which bow you are going with up front. A late model
Too won’t fit the wider, early bow, unless it is canvas & meant to shrink my, or just built loose.

Real steel only offers a straight bow. They can be modified to fit later doors, but it is work. Make sure you know which bow you are going with up front. A late model
Too won’t fit the wider, early bow, unless it is canvas & meant to shrink my, or just built loose.
I don’t know what you mean by “later doors”. I have a 69 with the early doors I thought. Are there even earlier ones? I can get the doors shut but I don’t want to break anything. And after explaining what truck I had and dropping almost $4k on a custom soft top I am about ready to scream if you know what I mean. Here is a pic of the hardtop and my doors and the new bows

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Do you know the origin of your hardtop? It looks like late model sides. It isn’t uncommon for early doors to be bent inward to match a later too better. But once that is done, they won’t match the straight edge of an early soft top bow.

your doors are early doors (74 & earlier if I recall. 75 & later are the one piece doors, and they bend inward at the window frame. At the same time, hard tops & soft top bows, also bent inward to match that angle. I’ll see if I can track down some pics to help.

Do you know the origin of your hardtop? It looks like late model sides. It isn’t uncommon for early doors to be bent inward to match a later too better. But once that is done, they won’t match the straight edge of an early soft top bow.

your doors are early doors (74 & earlier if I recall. 75 & later are the one piece doors, and they bend inward at the window frame. At the same time, hard tops & soft top bows, also bent inward to match that angle. I’ll see if I can track down some pics to help.
I was led to believe that the top was original, is there a way to check what am I looking for? I have the hatch on the back and small split doors behind my spare tire.

I was led to believe that the top was original, is there a way to check what am I looking for? I have the hatch on the back and small split doors behind my spare tire.
Interesting. That sounds like the right set up. I’m the other guys can confirm for sureZ. I just didn’t think that the hard top side bent inward on early trucks. The doors defintely aren’t supposed to, and your do look like they’ve been bent inward.

whitey45

SILVER Star
I would simply cut the b pillar bow in the top center and bring it in maybe 3/4 inch. Or find some Fst doors, I never did like hard doors on a Fst .

This is the pic that has been used many times here to help explain both the bows & doors, and the bend in them.
View attachment 2554390
It
I would simply cut the b pillar bow in the top center and bring it in maybe 3/4 inch. Or find some Fst doors, I never did like hard doors on a Fst .
if I could find a set for reasonable $$$ I certainly would. I am afraid if I cut anything the top won’t fit right. I ordered both the top and the bows through Julie at dirt road and I am worried it won’t fit right if I start changing stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom