Someone Talk Me Out of Getting An FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What happened to the J**P?
What size tires are you running on those stock rims?

What happened to the J**P?
What size tires are you running on those stock rims?

On the Cruiser or the Jeep? Jeep is 295/75R16 and Cruiser is 30X9.50.

Jeep is still at the shop. Picking it up tonight. Had to get my loan in order to be able to pay for the repairs. :cry:

Even though it took 7 pages.....welcome!

This^^. Don't take this the wrong way but I thought we might be getting trolled.

It's a good looking 60! Nice find. Welcome!

So the cruiser made it home no real issues. Cruised along at 70 most of the way. Even passed some folks. Its what everyone says it is as far as highway travel, but workable and not unlike my Jeep. Jeep is a 6 Speed so its not as wound up as the cruiser on the highway. It ran great until about Waco where I had a few moments where the engine cut out for a second and then came back to life. Sputtered, bucked, and hesitated, mostly on acceleration. Like it was getting starved for fuel. Clogged fuel filter perhaps? It happened a couple of times but was short lived. The PO said he had had run out of gas a few times because the gas gauge was not working correctly. He had the gauge fixed but had not been brave enough to test if it was showing accurately or not. I thought maybe I was running out of gas so I stopped and filled up. Only took 7 gallons which would make sense based on what the gauge was reading so that was not the issue. PO also had had the carb rebuilt so maybe there is something there not dialed in correctly. Once I got to Dallas I hit traffic and she ran fine the rest of the way in. So first issue to solve with this truck I guess. Thank goodness for MUD forums.

Glad you made it home without issue. If not the fuel filter, it could be that there was some crud in the carb that temporarily blocked things up, then cleared.

So the cruiser made it home no real issues. Cruised along at 70 most of the way. Even passed some folks. Its what everyone says it is as far as highway travel, but workable and not unlike my Jeep. Jeep is a 6 Speed so its not as wound up as the cruiser on the highway. It ran great until about Waco where I had a few moments where the engine cut out for a second and then came back to life. Sputtered, bucked, and hesitated, mostly on acceleration. Like it was getting starved for fuel. Clogged fuel filter perhaps? It happened a couple of times but was short lived. The PO said he had had run out of gas a few times because the gas gauge was not working correctly. He had the gauge fixed but had not been brave enough to test if it was showing accurately or not. I thought maybe I was running out of gas so I stopped and filled up. Only took 7 gallons which would make sense based on what the gauge was reading so that was not the issue. PO also had had the carb rebuilt so maybe there is something there not dialed in correctly. Once I got to Dallas I hit traffic and she ran fine the rest of the way in. So first issue to solve with this truck I guess. Thank goodness for MUD forums.
With my old 60 one of the first things I did was new fuel pump, filter, plugs etc. Those parts are all pretty cheap and then you know they are fresh and done. Keep the old fuel pump for a trail spare.

Did the old owner drive it a lot or let it sit a lot? I would drive it a lot over the coming weeks and make repairs/improvements as they come up. This will be a really fun summer with your first 60 enjoy it, both the driving and the oily hands part.

With my old 60 one of the first things I did was new fuel pump, filter, plugs etc. Those parts are all pretty cheap and then you know they are fresh and done. Keep the old fuel pump for a trail spare.

Did the old owner drive it a lot or let it sit a lot? I would drive it a lot over the coming weeks and make repairs/improvements as they come up. This will be a really fun summer with your first 60 enjoy it, both the driving and the oily hands part.

This was a daily driver for the PO. He only had an 8 mile commute though so it did not see a lot of action. He rarely took it on the highway and I think my trip home was the first time in a long time this thing had seen 70 on the highway. PO had the carb rebuilt as I mentioned as well as had all new plug wires, rotor, cap. He gave me all the receipts which was great for baselining this truck. They did a tune up on it too which I guess would include plugs, but it does not say so specifically on the receipt. Cannot find mention of fuel pump anywhere either so I imagine that's not been done. The thing idles beautifully, perhaps smoother than my jeep.

I was going to go through and change all fluids and try and spot anything that needs addressing. I can look at the fuel pump as part of that. I have seen some posts about general baseline maintenance when getting a new to you truck, but I'll go ahead and ask here what else should I be doing on this thing as a good start off maintenance regimen? Thanks all.

Let's see some more pics. Under the hood, around both sides of the engine bay, knuckles, undercarriage, interior, and more. We can give you a good idea of what needs to be done with a few pics. Although, it looks like it was well taken care of. Looks like a great cruiser. Congrats. I'm glad you finally pulled the trigger.

Let's see some more pics. Under the hood, around both sides of the engine bay, knuckles, undercarriage, interior, an
IMG_2128.JPG
IMG_2130.JPG
IMG_2138.JPG
IMG_2140.JPG
IMG_2141.JPG
d more. We can give you a good idea of what needs to be done with a few pics. Although, it looks like it was well taken care of. Looks like a great cruiser. Congrats. I'm glad you finally pulled the trigger.

So I ran out between bouts of heavy rain here and tried to get some shots. The ground is all wet so I'll get some shots of the underside once we dry up some. Here are some of the engine bay and interior:

Also one thing I do know it needs are new seals on the front axle. Leaking pretty good. I told the PO about it and priced was agreed upon with that in mind. I was planning on just having a rebuild done on the front end anyway as I think its just a good plan on lower mileage trucks. I don't hear clicking or anything but a rebuild being done means one less thing to worry about. The tie rod ends I think need to be addressed too and the there is a decent amount of play in the steering wheel. My old '79 CJ was way worse than this but there is some play here. The hub locks turn freely and seemed solid. Been awhile since I have had to turn locking hubs. All stuff I knew about going in.

Congrats, looks like a good place to start.

Yes, looks like a very good truck. Congratulations!

Change all fluids, including coolant and power steering (use synthetic ATF).

Your fuel pump and filter both look new-ish. At first glance, it does not appear that your dizzy is properly vented. I'd like to see some more pictures of that area. And the driver side of the engine bay as well.

Overall, this looks like a fabulous find. It was obviously somebody's baby. It looks well maintained. Interior even looks great. Nice score.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom