Some rust spots, how to handle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got me a 60 a few months ago and just need some advice how to handle some rust spots.

This is the extent of the rust on the vehicle. How do I handle this rust so it doesn't spread any further? Sand to bare metal and spray with primer?

I live in socal so I'm not too worried, but I'd like to get rid of as much at I can.

PXL_20230304_235434251.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230304_235457136.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230304_235512847.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230304_235529607.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230304_235542032.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
That’s nothing. Be happy it’s not worse. Hahaha. Someone will toss some suggestions. Or use the drop down search.

Rust is always worse than it looks. No doubt you’ve got some rain gutter issues. To properly deal with some of that it’s likely you’ll have to weld in some patches. Welding on the roof requires removal of the headliner on the interior, lest you light the truck ablaze. It kind of depends on how bad it is under the paint once you remove it.

there are many quality threads that discuss how to fix these issues, search in this forum.

Sunshine trucks rust from the roof down, rust-belt trucks rust from the rockers up.
Your roof needs attention right away. It’s bad. PO sold it cause it’s worse than it looks.
That being said, it’s not catastrophic, but the sooner you get to it the better.
Can you do your own bodywork? Do you have any idea as to how to DIY? The
door corner needs work too for sure.
There are 2-3 really good threads in 60 section on roof repair. Headliner removal
for sure.
Find a good rust repair shop and see what they say if you can’t fix it yourself. Don’t pay
someone who says he can fix it over a weekend and covers it with filler and paint.

If you need someone to do it @kelly saad might be an option. He is great at this. To weld patches to the roof, you need to take the headliner out or it will catch fire. To take the headliner out you have to take glass out. You’re halfway to a paint job which you will need anyway.

@Hokie LX and I are doing this repair on his truck right now. Not super easy to do, but this is the right way to do it.

Your roof has those little pinholes on the outside that look harmless and minor but chances are they aren't. I personally took off the roof cap from my "rust free" donor roof that had only 1-2 of those little tiny rust holes and the backside of the roof skin and inner structure was way worse. Hence taking the roof cap off and fixing it correctly.

Fixing it correctly is a lot of work but is the only permanent fix that will last.

For what it's worth, my truck was a Texas/Arizona truck and the roof still rusted out.

In your area, it would probably be okay to just leave it alone. If you really want to do something about it, you could lightly sand and spray with Fluid Film periodically. Anything further requires much more, like others have said. removing the headliner and welding patches in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom