some h55f and split case tech (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for posting those pics Onur! I assume that's Steve's trans and input gear?! :grinpimp:

Georg

:bounce:

Onur, got a part # for that ceramic cup ? :D

attachment.php

...but i'm way too anal to let anybody else in the shop even attempt to build any transmission or t-case that comes thru here. :eek:

georg

Damn! Control Freak!;)

Great write up Georg, and great tech, why I keep coming back for more!
I could see a nice online matrix to go with this writeup that lists year TC years in columns and trannies in rows with a pic and comment in each box.
:beer:

faq.ashx
faq.jpg

Thanks for the lesson Georg!

Some day I'll have an H55F :)

x12 FAQ

input gear photos

I highly recommend listening to Georg's advice on buying an H55 / transfer case new. I purchased mine 10 years ago and am pretty sure it came out of a beat mining truck. The pictures below show the two types of input gears of which I did not know there was a difference. (George is being very patient with me).
2012-06-24_12-53-07_32.jpg
2012-06-24_13-08-04_462.jpg

Great tech info Georg. The H55 I bought from you is still sitting in my shop waiting for me to get the shop set up and get the rest of the parts I'll need for the conversion. Moving and having a baby last year kind of tapped into my time and money to finish projects :D

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Thanks guys!

Jon, are both the input gears 32 tooths?

Yes sir, 32 teeth except for the old one that is more like 31-1/2...

Hey George. Thanks for the info. I have just purchased a new H55 from my local dealership. I have discovered that there are a lot of varying opinons on which T case to use. This helps a lot!! The sound of informed reason in whirlwind of info. So to double check what I've read, any 10/82 or newer split Tcase from an FJ60 that was behind any manual transmission will bolt to my new 85' HJ55 transmission? Also do you have a source for a good used shifter? Thanks, Michael <><

Any oil recommendations for a new H55F? I'll be installing one soon and since I've dropped a chunk of money on it I would like to have confidence in the oil that will to into it. The 5 Speed Repair Manual (#223-08-5SPD) calls for API GL4, 5. But in light of some of the recent discussion around the GL4 vs 5 oils and sychro degradation is a GL4-5 oil ok? I've been looking around for a GL4 only oil and it's nearly unobtainable or cost prohibitive.

Mobil makes an SAE 80 GL 4 oil, they call it 424. I think it's used in some farm equipment where it's sold as agrifluid 424. It's semi or fully synthetic, can't remember which. We use it in a lot of truck gearboxes at work

That's what I put in mine for break-in, maybe 1K miles ... Then switched to Shell Spirax HD 80/90

No, I take it back - I used the GL 5 with the purple label.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom