SoCal GenIII Vortec Project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And when you did this it required very little modification to fit in stock setup right?

No modification. All of the pans are interchangeable. That's the beauty of the LS motors. Everything is modular - oil pans, manifolds, etc.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of mileage do you vortec guys get??

Just out of curiosity, what sort of mileage do you vortec guys get??
I started off getting 18 on the highway(L33, 5.3), it is down to 15.5 now.. lots more weight now.. bigger wheels and tires... incredible fun to drive. My LX450 (same L33, 5.3) is getting 14.5.

Damn you must really have those things weighted down to be averaging that low? They throwing any codes? Might be worth while to look into if you haven checked them in a while.

Around town I get in the 12-13 range. Highway, I get 14-ish going 80-85. That's with 4.11s/33's and calculated with a GPS-corrected scanguage.

It is still an un-aerodynamic brick.

For comparison though, on a several hundred mile off-pavement trip last year, I needed a few gallons less per fillup than the 80s that were in the group.

Same thing on the ride home with a supercharged 80.

Mine supposedly has a slight tune, runs great and throws no codes. I wouldn't change anything.

I keep track of mileage with my scan gauge II pretty accurate reports based off driving habits.

I quit checking in town, but on trips, the scanguage is invaluable. Just like a modern car, you can track gallons/miles til empty. Very handy with the 60's (mine at least) non-linear fuel gauge.

It is surprising how accurate it is.

I didn't want to start any fights..lol Just curious, last year I rebuilt my 3FE, bored over .020, ported out the intake a bit and gasket matched, and I've got a H55 behind it. I quickly thought about the vortec conversion, but at the time, it wasn't an option with the H55 adapter running $2K alone. I'm very happy with the power, although mileage is still in the stock 'window sticker' FJ62 range. I recently did a trip from sea level over the mountains down to sea level and back, with about 8K (4/4) elevation gain/loss on a tank and averaged 12.5. Still need to do a long haul road trip to get some good numbers, but, just wondering what you guys were seeing. Thanks!

Saturday I had the rig steam cleaned. Well worth the $150. Man, it's clean. It's hard to believe this has 250k miles on it! Probably should do this every couple of years...

This will make pulling the engine much less unpleasant. Every seal and gasket has been oozing for the past few years. It was caked up pretty thick underneath. Gotta tackle the knuckles as well. They were pretty nasty.

I still need to sell this motor after I pull it. Anyone interested? It runs perfectly... A/C compressor, alternator and water pump all replaced in the last couple of years. Only uses 1 qt of oil every 5000 miles. It also has the oil galley fix in place. I would really hate to part it out...

I've got an ad in the classifieds, but haven't had too much interest. I've got to re-write it with some pics and separate the engine and trans. After thinking about it, I can't imagine anyone would want to buy them together.

Not likely that I'm going to start dismantling this weekend. Maybe the following weekend.
image_zpsbr9la0h5.jpeg

NOT my build

Just that a 4.8L LS can do some amazing stuff - I am impressed with it, that is why I shared these here. To skip the build, go to the second vid

600 rwhp and 28mpg

and in the 8s

impressive

Last edited:
Pretty impressive Dougbert!

I wonder how many others think they've got a 5.3 but really have a 4.8. I didn't know this about junkyards: If you call asking about a certain part, yes, they'll tell you they have it, but they're just getting it from the "network". Anybody can pass off anything because the block doesn't have the VIN number to positively identify it. That's what happened to me the first go-round. The engine I received was NOT what I thought I was buying. The only way to know is to see the engine come out of the donor vehicle.

Anyway, it's pretty cool that such an abused block can stay together while generating such HP!

Started dismantling on Sunday and worked for a few hours today. It's almost ready to lift the engine out. All I need to do at this point is remove the driveshafts, disconnect the exhaust, the motor mounts and rear crossmember. It was quite a bit of work just to get the harness disconnected. I had to remove the intake manifold to get at the injector connectors and to fish the harness out of there.

Any SoCal mudders want to help on Saturday afternoon? Just need a few extra hands to remove the hood and guide the guts out. I'll provide pizza and beer.

IMG_1463_zps31386ube.jpg

Also a question: is a used exhaust worth anything? I don't know how stuck the bolts are, I was thinking I might just grab the sawzall and hack it out of the way. Is that a bad idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom