So what kind of tires are you guys running? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I run 33x12.5/15 Kumho ATs on my 60, 35x12.5/15 Kumho MTs on the 40, and 265/75R16s Kumho ATs on the :princess: 4Runner.

You cant beat the Kumhos for value, and Ive never had a traction issue to date. Check the reviews at www.tirerack.com

Hodag

I have 31x10.5 R15LT MichelinLTX M&S on original stock chrome wheels my '90
FJ 60.
The run great and wear like steel.............gm

Well right now my 60 has 3 31x10.5x15 BFG AT's, and 1 Pirelli 31x10.5x15 because of the two punks that slashed my tire when the damaged my truck!

Zack

31x10.5x15 cooper discoverer lts.....love em....going to put a set on my blaZR2 when the POS bfg short trails (because thats about as far as i can get with them) wear out......thats why i take the landbruiser most of the time mudding or OR.....

cheers

33x12.5 futura RVTs. they are cheap, last about 60K, look good, perform really well on the road, and actiually did really well on the trail and mud a couple of months ago. Very good in deeper snow. I think the PO got them at Pep Boys
IM000909.jpg

I'm going with the BFG A/T, but its a 285/75R16 on an 8 inch rim.
Toad

My experience with other rigs on the trail that ran Goodyear MTR's has not been very good. The two rigs that ran these tires the last time out had to be winched up a certain rutted and slippery section, where as I was able to make it without winching with the BFG MT 255/85/16. The two rigs with Dunlop MT's had to winch in the same place too. I know that the BFG's arent the best mud tire, but I was plesantly suprised by their performance. I think all the rigs at least had a rear locker, including me, and at least one was also locked in the front.

green diamonds

31x10.5x15 Grean Diamonds. They are just starting to show thier carbide chips and were awesome this winter when brand new. they should be even better next winter when the carbide is exposed. Good solid all around tire in all terrain.

What in the heck is a Green Diamond tire?

this is to help some noob questions. the vehicle weight to surface area of the tire area will affect winter performance alot. for example ive heard people in little yota trucks say they hate their 33x12.5 bfg a/t's. whereas on an 05 gmc 2500 ext. cab 4x4, they performed incredibally on icy surfaces. as well a friend uses 33x12.5 bfg m/t's for winter driving in an 01 powestroke f350. what doesnt work for 1 vehicle may be ideal for another. also tread void (the gap between lugs) is an important factor for mud. lugs too close together will fill up, but be better for more km's. bigger tread voids moves mud better but will be louder and rougher on pavement (generally). the hardness (or softness) of a tire will also affect on/offroad performance. goodyear mtr's or yokohoma geo m/ts are an example of mud tires with softer rubber that still perform ok in winter(again depending on weight and size of tire), but with a heavy enough vehicle to get these benefits sometimes tire wear becomes more of an issue. siping a tire (cutting grooves) often benefits performance all round but may increase chunking (chunks of tire cut off on rocks). one final note, studs in your boggers will help get over fallen trees a bit better. any different thoughts?

Another happy BFG AT user. I have stock size on my 60 currently, but I'll be putting on siped 33x12.50x15 BFG AT KOs on my new rims tomorrow or Monday.

Although, they are not the highest rated on TireRack, I have really liked them until they get low on tread.

With the FJ62, either 4.88's or 5.29's. I will probably run 5.29's because after the 37's wear out I will go bigger.

I was just given a set of 285/75/16 BFG All Terrains. Can i run them on
my FJ60 without lifting it? I will be doing very light wheeling with them.
Basically what is the diameter of this size of tire also.

Also if i do need to lift then, what length of shackle would do the trick
Could i use a 1" or 2" lift shackle?. want to only lift enough to not rub
and no more

TIA

-JimK

Last edited:
33 x 9.5 BFG AT/KO's (siped) on a stock 62 with no lift. Sweet!
1626061313c.jpg

Last edited:
notagp- 285/75/16's are 32.8x11.2, they'll fit but they'll rub. need i think about 3-4" lift to not rub. 2" shackles may help but prolly not enough. HTH :beer:

awesome site-just what I need (help!)
Recently given a 1983 fj60 that was rolled, crushed the top. So I'm turning it into a convertable for working on soft sand on clear days (no regular road use). Has no lift. I need to know what size tires will fit on the stock rims without rubbing (much). Will 32x11.5 be OK?
Any help much appreciated!

33 12.5 Bfg At

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom