So what kind of tires are you guys running? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My new BFG MTR 33X10.5s couldn't get me up my driveway two weeks ago in 12-15" of snow in 4WD (no LSD or locker) in my 84 60 with the Vortec & 4L60E, but my 83 stock 60 went right up with stock size Goodyear Wranglers.

Discount Tire siped the MTRs for free because they messed up on my wheels, & now they work a little better in the snow. Now looking at lockers.

my tires

my tires 38.5 x 11x16 Super Swamper Boggers

on the 60, 31x10.50 bfg at's. on the 80 interco truxxus mt's.
offroad, the at does not compare. on road the bfgs win.

if/when my bfg's wear out, will probably go with some intercos for the 60. 33's at least :D
the 40 needs some too. hard to wear out tires while its sitting in the shop though ;)

325/85R16 Michelin XMLs on my daily driver

The Dude said:
325/85R16 Michelin XMLs on my daily driver

Ya BUM! Oh ya, I mean Mr. Bum!

Way kool tires. Are you going to sipe them Dude? Ive heard neither the XM's or XML's are very good in the wet.

TB

yup they're siped already...bought one of those nifty hot knife siping/grooving tools. It took awhile but really helps in on the road.

BFG AT/KO's, 33x10.5 -- probably will need to lift your rig if it hasn't been already in order to run them this tall

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Sporin said:
BFG AT/KO's, 33x10.5 - shackle lift to fit them.

Very nice lookin rig, and though it may be fine on the road, I bet it rubs like a motha at turn/flex up front. FJ40s generally have their rubbing probs in the rear, 60s in the front at turn/flex. Be careful! :eek:

I have to agree with DOCB

32x11.5x15s MTRs

And extra 1/2 inch of lift
Bigger rolling diameter (Slightly better fuel economy)
11.5 will go on the standard 7' rim and is resistant to roll off when run at low pressure.
Makes for an awsome combination on the 60 especially in the sand and rock.

You don't hear about them often-- but we've got a set of 31x10.50 r15 Kumho Venture MTs that have been great tires. They survived nearly 30K miles of Central America abuse under a HEAVY fj60 (fully loaded for a year). They've been on snowy trails in Idaho, blistering hot freeway in the Nevada desert, thorny backcountry roads in Costa Rica, jagged volcanic Mexican trails, baja sand, horribly potholed Nicaraguan highways....
and they are now running strong under our 40- not so great in mud, but they must have over 40K by now.... can't expect them to last forever.

They have larger voids than a BFG AT, smaller lugs than a Goodyear MTR. An excellent multi-use tire.

sandcruiser said:
You don't hear about them often-- but we've got a set of 31x10.50 r15 Kumho Venture MTs that have been great tires.

I've heard of this tire before, and I think they also may come in a tall skinny size. Thanks for the recommendation; I'll have to check them out. :D

DocB said:
Very nice lookin rig, and though it may be fine on the road, I bet it rubs like a motha at turn/flex up front. FJ40s generally have their rubbing probs in the rear, 60s in the front at turn/flex. Be careful! :eek:

Just a touch at full stuff and full lock, easily avoided. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom