So I want a BJ74... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NM Frontier

SILVER Star
Threads
So I'm braking down and getting serious about picking up a 74. Iv been chatting with a couple of importers and have a few picked out that meet my budget but I'm still not sure how to best spend my money on, upfront at time of purchase and what to just add latter down the road.

First up how I plan to use the Cruiser. I think it will see most of my daily driving duties since it will get twice the MPGs as the 80 dose. Big trips (5+days, RTT,ect..) will be left to the 80 due to space and the 80 is all ready deck out and proven. But I do see the 74 being the go-to for any thing else, I can see it with a pared down camping/expo kit and more range, and it will be hard to leave at home. I would like be able to tackle most moderate trails but nothing hardcore, I don't want to use 33s and lose out on the mpgs and some power loss with the auto. Some 235s would be the ideal set up at some point.

I have come to the reality that a 5-speed is much harder to get a hold of then the auto, and I'm fine with that. But Cable Lockers and a FF axle seem attainable but at a sacrifice of either mileage on the the motor or body condition.

So do I go for the stock rig, a few less KMs and with clean body no rust, but also semi-float and open diffs, then down the road score a FF axle and add a locker, or go the lockers, FF route but deal with a rig that seems to been modified a bit and has a small rust spot in the fender, and has more KMs on the motor?

What is a good cap to stay under for KMs on the 13bt?

Thanks for any expert insight!

First up how I plan to use the Cruiser. I think it will see most of my daily driving duties since it will get twice the MPGs as the 80 does.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.....twice the MPG's as my 80 does ......... You will occasionally see claims that a BJ74 will get 25-30mpg however the folks making those claims shouldn't fire up the computer while they are under the influence of alcohol.
My BJ74 (auto - 13B-T) only averages 18-20 mpg and I drive at speeds that would seem conservative to my Grandmother.

Excellent choice, congratulations on the decision. Every case is different, but I decided to go with a European BJ 73 given its H55 5 speed, full floater rear axle, no hidden rust and left hand drive. Got a low mileage truck that needed a little love. Besides cosmetics and deferred maintenance, the only open question was whether the 3B would meet my needs, which are very similar to those you have stated. It also had 24 volt system, rear seat, no electronic gee-gaws (power windows, air conditioning, door locks).

If the 3B doesn't meet your needs, options include: a) add on a turbo to the 3B; b) swap out for a 13B-T or another similar motor (14B-T as below, etc.); swap out for a 1HZ (more work, but a nice combination, I am told). You could also drop in a Vortec (I know, sacrilege) - my FJ62 with lots of gear produced 17 mpg in mixed driving - consistently.

Should a five speed with LHD float your boat, Europe and South America candidates bear consideration.

14B0-T.jpg

You will occasionally see claims that a BJ74 will get 25-30mpg however the folks making those claims shouldn't fire up the computer while they are under the influence of alcohol.
My BJ74 (auto - 13B-T) only averages 18-20 mpg and I drive at speeds that would seem conservative to my Grandmother.

I am not sporting a beer at the moment. I can tell you that I got 24.78 MPG (US gallons, statute miles) on my return trip from Moab to Albuquerque. 13BT, 5 speed, 4.11 gears, ~65 MPH much of the time never more), 33 inch tires, two people, roof rack (empty), ~400 lbs of tools and equipment. Speedo corrected to reflect tire size change.

1978HJ45,
Thanks for some real numbers on MPG, what tire size are you running? My 80 with mixed driving is around 13ish so even 25mpg would be a huge improvement. But MPG isn't the number one thing it kinda like a bonus!

I am not sporting a beer at the moment. I can tell you that I got 24.78 MPG (US gallons, statute miles) on my return trip from Moab to Albuquerque. 13BT, 5 speed, 4.11 gears, ~65 MPH much of the time never more), 33 inch tires, two people, roof rack (empty), ~400 lbs of tools and equipment. Speedo corrected to reflect tire size change.

I wonder what the difference would be with an auto?

Autos usually do not do as well as manuals in most all vehicles.

I get around 20-21mpg in my turbo bj73 5 speed 32x9.5 tires. Generally speaking I don't drive like a grandmother or Charles. I think he could get around 22+ in my truck. All my driving is city and if I drive it really hard i will average around 18.5. The 20mpg I get now is from more conservative driving moderately getting on it in heavy traffic.

Any thoughts on waiting another year when the 1hz rigs will become legal?

If you get up to ABQ on occasion you are welcome to view and drive mine if I am available. That will give you a hands-on experience with a manual and RHD.

Beer is good ......
I may be mistaken but I thought the gentleman was looking at an auto. I am running 33x15x10.50 and I have never gotten over 20 mpg ( combination city / highway ).

I bet you would do better on a long hiway haul. Maybe as high as 23 or so. I presume you are correcting for the 33 inch tires when you make your calculations? If not your observed 20 is closer to 22......:grinpimp:

I bet you would do better on a long hiway haul. Maybe as high as 23 or so. I presume you are correcting for the 33 inch tires when you make your calculations? If not your observed 20 is closer to 22......:grinpimp:

Perhaps you are correct .......
Most of my driving is putting around town or chasing critters. Even though I have gotten use to the auto gearbox, it certainly isn't the most efficient way to go.

That has crossed my mind but think I will be fine with a 13bt.

In a nutshell, the BJ74 is a GREAT Cruiser and the 13B-T is a very reliable powerplant. You won't be disappointed.

Agreed.

There are a few vehicles I'd stay away from an auto in and the BJ74 is one of them. I'm fine with a slushbox in my 80 but even it is a powersuck and impacts fuel mileage when compared to other similar rigs with a manual.

My overloaded bj74 (5 speed) on 37s can get 20mpg on a good day and averages about 17.

There's nearly no limit for too many miles. Just know that after 300,000 km you are going to be doing any of the things that the previous owner didn't. Knuckles, brakes, rod ends, alternator brushes, starter contacts, t-case transmission seal etc. Much of it is identical to a 60 series though.

There are a few vehicles I'd stay away from an auto in and the BJ74 is one of them. I'm fine with a slushbox in my 80 but even it is a powersuck and impacts fuel mileage when compared to other similar rigs with a manual.

My overloaded bj74 (5 speed) on 37s can get 20mpg on a good day and averages about 17.

There's nearly no limit for too many miles. Just know that after 300,000 km you are going to be doing any of the things that the previous owner didn't. Knuckles, brakes, rod ends, alternator brushes, starter contacts, t-case transmission seal etc. Much of it is identical to a 60 series though.

The BJ74 automatic gearbox is like a cheap wine ..... The taste can be funky but with enough effort you end up just as drunk.
The English translation: The auto gearbox definitely has it's drawbacks ( drops into to O/D way to early and needs a high capacity aux cooler ) however with a little effort ( manually shifting into 3rd ) it will move the Cruiser along nicely.
I've actually learned to like mine.

The BJ74 automatic gearbox is like a cheap wine ..... The taste can be funky but with enough effort you end up just as drunk.
The English translation: The auto gearbox definitely has it's drawbacks ( drops into to O/D way to early and needs a high capacity aux cooler ) however with a little effort ( manually shifting into 3rd ) it will move the Cruiser along nicely.
I've actually learned to like mine.

Thinking that if I go with an auto I would stay under 33" maybe even just 31s to help the trans out. What cooler do you use?

My 5spd BJ74 gets around 15MPG, when I was using it as a daily I was at 18MPG.

Staying with such a small tyre size just stick with semi float rear end if a good one comes up. Lockers are a huge deal, plent of after market available. IMO I would go with the best condition vehicle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom