Smooth Running After Long Run -- Why? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Rig has been used for short runs for more than a year now. The other day, I ran maybe 130 miles. Now the engine runs considerably smoother. Why is that?

Extended periods of higher rpm/heat have a tendency to burn off carbon build up on spark plugs (meaning you get better ignition), the injectors can clean themselves up a bit (again heat and volume of fuel through them help) and carbon on the o2 sensors can be burned off. Also good for the oil (burns off any moisture/water build up).
Doing 1000km of short trips in the city has the same wear as doing 10,000km of highway driving (assuming you are doing mostly highway speeds of good quality roads for hours at a time).
It does depend on the engine as well, but an “Italian tune up” Eg driving the car hard occasionally can also be good for an engine.

If you do mostly short runs it’s a good idea to use a fuel system/combustion chamber cleaner every couple tanks. I’ve have good results with the Lucas product. I run it in my small engines as well.

Thanks for the tips.
My Mileage has gone down to 10mpg... I DD to work 7 miles one way, the engine barley gets to full temp at arrival.
Looks like a good road trip can do my Lx450 some good to blow out the bugs as my Granny would say.

I just had to explain the concept of the "Italian tune-up" to my daughter, who just started her lawnmower for the first time this year. :hillbilly:

When I get in my wife's car and hammer it , She's like what are you doing my reply is someone has to blow the cobwebs out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom