Smoking Rear Wheel Hub...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Team -

Drove 400 miles today and parked, jumped out to find white smoke coming out of my rear passenger wheel well. Couldn't tell if it was the caliper, pads, rotor, something else? I recently replaced the rear pads, and am wondering if there would be some type of correlation there... I have no idea, wondering if anyone out there has experienced this? Anybody have any suggestions on what to do next? I'm at 200k if thats helpful. Thanks!

Check for a possible rear axle leak, gear oil probably seeped out past the seals and dripped on the rotor. Look for a wet backing plate.

Team -

Drove 400 miles today and parked, jumped out to find white smoke coming out of my rear passenger wheel well. Couldn't tell if it was the caliper, pads, rotor, something else? I recently replaced the rear pads, and am wondering if there would be some type of correlation there... I have no idea, wondering if anyone out there has experienced this? Anybody have any suggestions on what to do next? I'm at 200k if thats helpful. Thanks!
Maybe a partially seized and dragging parking brake or caliper?
Could you tell which parts were hot?

Team -

^^^^^

Yes.

Park it. Get the tire and wheel off. Remove brake caliper and inspect, remove hub/rotor and inspect (to include parking brake components). Look for evidence of axle seal leakage while there.

There are several possibilities, any of them by themselves or in concert with another could have caused the heating, but we are all just be guessing. So pull it apart and have a look.

The most likely cause will be something to do with the brake caliper/pads. IF so....the rotor should show signs of being overheated.

Ok - so I’ve confirmed it’s the axle seal leaking. I believe the next step is to get scheduled at a transmission shop for repair, any other suggestions?

Ok - so I’ve confirmed it’s the axle seal leaking. I believe the next step is to get scheduled at a transmission shop for repair, any other suggestions?

This isn’t a transmission problem so I’d stay away from a transmission shop. I’d just try to find a reputable independent shop in the area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom