Smashed my Truck This Weekend - DAMMIT! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Land_Cruiser_Carnage (3) (Medium).JPG
Land_Cruiser_Carnage (7) (Medium).JPG
Land_Cruiser_Carnage (9) (Medium).JPG
Land_Cruiser_Carnage (17) (Medium).JPG
Land_Cruiser_Carnage (19) (Medium).JPG
Very Sad - I am Bummed....

I went out four-wheeling with my neighbor, and due to peer-group pressure (not by the neighbors!), I got caught up in some rocks, and had to do some winching to get out. Had a little “incident” with a rock along the side of the truck on the way past.

After the incident, I drove all the way out from the Italian Trap, and 13 miles down a dirt road, and 8 miles down paved roads.

Mike (my neighbor) commented that my truck wasn’t “tracking” right.

My Wife, when she got home, commented that the truck “wasn’t sitting right”.

This evening, I went out for a closer look – here’s what I saw….

Dag-nabit!

Looks like she needs some work! I am glad those Toyotas are TOUGH!

Chuck

Sorry to hear that Chuck...Keep us posted on what you find

Chuck just be thankful it didn't end up like the Troopy Murf posted up.

Bummer:(

Ugh. I'm sure you will get her back to normal soon

I think I found most of the carnage, but it was worse than I first thought. I need to get out wheeling more (before listening to people telling me to do things!)

Land_Cruiser_Carnage (6) (Medium).JPG

Sorry to hear that but the 40 still looks great!

:(

but yeah, I have had frame cracks just about everywhere by now, including spring hangers front and rear :rolleyes:

I would look at the frame in that area as well as the rest of the frame. From the picture it doesn't look like a fresh break but rather a old crack that finally broke. A solid frame would have twisted before breaking off like that. My first FJ25 I noticed cracks in that area when I removed the welded on channel iron bumper.

PS: I normally think this is a result of AZ's washboard roads rather than rock crawling. The vibrations cause stress fractures.

Last edited:
I agree with you - it needs a good going over, and maybe some strengthening - certainly on the opposite side.

A hand full of peers is usually heavier than a tonne of bricks. And they usually hit your wallet.

Good as new... (Almost)

P1010003 (Medium).JPG

Actually - That's just to get me over to my buddy's (and it's missing one clamp on the lateral axis).

I am making some progress - Got my soft door straightened out, and all the top and door over at the upholstery shop.

Got the winch & bumper off for the frame repair - Will have the tub and top alignment hole fixed at the same time.

Planning a winch upgrade (oil change ports, and go through it).

Long term plan is a bunch of bodywork.....

If that really is just 1/4 U channel, no wonder the years have taken their toll. Almost looks like non-factory work; but enough pros here to call that one, if it were so. Anyhows, no gussets and that lone 'wing' will flex itself to death in no time; actually pretty amazed it's lasted this long. Have the welder add something when they are in there fixing the break.

That's the plan - we are going to box in the frame. The other side is more rigid, because it is boxed for the FJ-40 steering damper deal that mounts between the crossmember and the frame, but they will both be improved with some added (stout) structure.

Thanks -

Rocky

Slowly coming back together. Welding and "Top Level" Bodywork completed. Boxed the front frame horn. The drivers side is already done (boxed) from the factory, and it looked good.

Just finished the paint and primer. It looks good. I didn't mask off the other frame horn - and that was a mistake. I hate non-symmetrical repairs!

Vinyl work still needs completed - having a hard time getting my upholstery shop in gear. I think Monday I am moving it to another shop I hope will be more responsive.

P1010002 (Medium).JPG
P1010005 (Medium).JPG
P1010007 (Medium).JPG
P1010008 (Medium).JPG
P1010009 (Medium).JPG

Do you have a way to access the nuts for the hook bolts? If you ever need to repair or replace the top bracket for the bumper those bolts need to come out.

Living - Yes - You can get in there, but it's pretty tight. There is a little "scallop" cut out of the boxing plate at the rear end under the radiator. I had to go out and check after you posted!

Thanks -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom