sluggish when first put into drive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sometimes when I first start to drive my LC, it's sluggish when put into drive. Hit the gas and it barely moves. Usually if I put it back into park and then drive again, it fixes the issue. Sometimes I have to do this a couple of times. Any idea what I should investigate?

What year 80? Have you verified fluid level is up to normal range?

Just to clarify the problem is not a sluggish engine but clearly a transmission issue? Have you ever replaced the trans solenoids? It may be attempting to start out in third gear. You can use the diagnostic port under the hood to put the car in maintenance mode in order to interrogate the transmission ECM for stored codes. You can also disconnect the wire connector from the driver side of the trans and then drive it by starting off in low and shifting up and down though the range manually while do your normal driving. If you experience no problems then it may be time to replace one or more of the four solenoids in the transmission.

It would be prudent to perform a visual inspection of the shifter linkage as view from the ground.

how long has the ATF been in the case? maybe it's time for a flush and fill...

Only when you put it into drive, or when you accelerate from a stop as well?

Just to clarify the problem is not a sluggish engine but clearly a transmission issue? Have you ever replaced the trans solenoids? It may be attempting to start out in third gear. You can use the diagnostic port under the hood to put the car in maintenance mode in order to interrogate the transmission ECM for stored codes. You can also disconnect the wire connector from the driver side of the trans and then drive it by starting off in low and shifting up and down though the range manually while do your normal driving. If you experience no problems then it may be time to replace one or more of the four solenoids in the transmission.

It would be prudent to perform a visual inspection of the shifter linkage as view from the ground.
Yes, it is a transmission issue. It does feel like it’s starting in 3rd. I have not replaced the solenoids. I'll jumper E1 and TT and look for trouble codes tonight. Thanks.

how long has the ATF been in the case? maybe it's time for a flush and fill...
When I check the fluid, it looks bright red so I assume it's ok.
Only when you put it into drive, or when you accelerate from a stop as well?
When I first put it in drive and hit the gas, it feels like it's starting from 3rd gear. I put it in park, then back in drive and it works fine.

There were no stored transmission codes.

Dude! I have the same problem with my 93, couldnt find anything on this issue, I took it to a tranny shop and they said it was the bushings on the shifter arm connecting to the tranny and that it puts the car in limp mode because it isnt sure what gear to be in, I havent researched anything else on it but I did replace the bushings and it stopped doing it for a week but its back again. I have also replaced the neutral safety switch and still is there. Also mine in intermitten and only does it about 20% of the time and ONLY coming from park to D

Dude! I have the same problem with my 93, couldnt find anything on this issue, I took it to a tranny shop and they said it was the bushings on the shifter arm connecting to the tranny and that it puts the car in limp mode because it isnt sure what gear to be in, I havent researched anything else on it but I did replace the bushings and it stopped doing it for a week but its back again. I have also replaced the neutral safety switch and still is there. Also mine in intermitten and only does it about 20% of the time and ONLY coming from park to D
I plan on dropping the pan and replacing the solenoids. The equivalent Isuzu ones are only $8-9 each on amazon vs $150 or whatever Toyota wants. Seems like a pretty cheap fix to try.

Anyone with this issue definitely needs to verify the condition of the Neutral Safety switch grey barrel connector. Corrosion in this connector will cause this issue. Won’t cost anything to confirm. Location of the connector is very close to the pesky heater hose.

Anyone with this issue definitely needs to verify the condition of the Neutral Safety switch grey barrel connector. Corrosion in this connector will cause this issue. Won’t cost anything to confirm. Location of the connector is very close to the pesky heater hose.
Mine was corroded as anything but didn't fix the issue with a new one sadly

Hi, How many miles are on the truck? Mike
Mine was at 215xxx I replaced the motor as the PO didnt take any care of it. The neutral safety switch had corroded out from all the coolant that leaked from the PHH
Going to do the solenoids in the next couple weeks already ordered from amazon

Mine was at 215xxx I replaced the motor as the PO didnt take any care of it. The neutral safety switch had corroded out from all the coolant that leaked from the PHH
Going to do the solenoids in the next couple weeks already ordered from amazon

I have the same issue. I mainly notice with the AC on. I replaced two of the solenoids four years ago when I was having flare issues. When the issue presents, I can shift into L and it takes off fine, then I shift up to D. I can verify that fluid level is correct and flushed within the last 20,000 miles. I have not looked at the barrel connector for the NSS. I will take a look. If anyone else fixes this issue, please let us know what worked. Thanks.

There is also a control module for the transmission that can have a loose plug into it that can cause this. The module is on the drivers side panel nearest foot to the door. I will be checking that tomorrow and this weekend ill do the solenoids. I have changed out the NSS already it was toast as the PO had a massive coolant leak back there

Mine has ~215k miles. Haven't checked the neutral safety switch connector, but will tonight.

I got my amazon solenoids in last night. The timing and 2 shift solenoids are both a bit smaller than the OEMs I pulled. The lock-up looks identical. All of them were stamped with "AISIN" while the OEMs were not. Hopefully they simply changed their design over the years and these aren't knockoffs. Or maybe the PO put in knockoffs. The pan gasket was grey on top of pink so someone has definitely dropped the pan before.

I installed them last night and just need to put the pan back on tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom