sluggish when first put into drive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Be aware that the 93-94 have a different transmission and have different symptoms than the transmissions in a 95-97.

I have mine narrowed down to the neutral safety switch which is the same for all the 80 models. My transmission is the A442F. Most likely the connectors on the engine harness side. When I took apart the connections all the wiring was corroded and I was hoping that the new NSS would fix it but there are still corroded wires on the harness side so Im tackling that today as there is only a couple of inches to play with in there and soldering is going to be a pain in the !!! Some things I have done already was check the transmission computer to make sure that all wiring was connected and not corroded and damp and also change out the transmission solenoids in the transmission pan. Both of those jobs were easy to do. Then on to the NSS check the plugs by taking it off and inspecting the connections as that spot where the plus sit seem to be where the heater hose leaks on to if it hasnt been replaced. I see the new factory NSS are back in stock at toyota, I would warn against putting a used one in there as that is why this is taking so long for me !

I have mine narrowed down to the neutral safety switch which is the same for all the 80 models. My transmission is the A442F. Most likely the connectors on the engine harness side. When I took apart the connections all the wiring was corroded and I was hoping that the new NSS would fix it but there are still corroded wires on the harness side so Im tackling that today as there is only a couple of inches to play with in there and soldering is going to be a pain in the !!! Some things I have done already was check the transmission computer to make sure that all wiring was connected and not corroded and damp and also change out the transmission solenoids in the transmission pan. Both of those jobs were easy to do. Then on to the NSS check the plugs by taking it off and inspecting the connections as that spot where the plus sit seem to be where the heater hose leaks on to if it hasnt been replaced. I see the new factory NSS are back in stock at toyota, I would warn against putting a used one in there as that is why this is taking so long for me !
The heater hose return to the block is directly above that connector and is a common source of corrosion. I'd recommend pulling the terminal out of the connector and cleaning them individually. There's a lever in the open in end the connector (towards to other connector) that you have to lift up in order to withdraw the terminal and wire from the other side of the connector. The harness repair manual has a very good explanation and tool design for this (I use a jeweler's screwdriver). CRC plastic safe contact cleaner is the best to use if you're not going to go to the trouble to remove the terminals to clean them.

TODC connectors, pg C-12, (enlarged) Harness Repair Manual.png

Special tool details, pg B-1, Harness Repair Maunal.png

I see I am late to this thread, and most responses deal with malfunction of the ATM itself. Another (ATM-peripheral) issue to check is the condition and regulation of the throttle link and valve lever of the ATM. I had it too loose, with similar symptoms of lazy acceleration.

I see I am late to this thread, and most responses deal with malfunction of the ATM itself. Another (ATM-peripheral) issue to check is the condition and regulation of the throttle link and valve lever of the ATM. I had it too loose, with similar symptoms of lazy acceleration.

Yes! also the shift linkage can be off as well and the transmission wont get the signal as to what gear its supposed to be in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom