Slow wiper easy fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
Wipers on the '85 FJ60 had gotten to be very slow, both low and high speed. I finally decided to clean the ground wire attachment of the motor to see if that would help. It did and wiper speed was easily 2X as fast as before. The ground wire attaches to the bolt in the lower left corner. Use a 10 mm wrench or ratchet and unscrew the bolt, then sand the washer, and reinstall. I'm planning on running an extra ground wire to a convenient point just for good measure.

IMG_6957.JPG

Wipers on the '85 FJ60 had gotten to be very slow, both low and high speed. I finally decided to clean the ground wire attachment of the motor to see if that would help. It did and wiper speed was easily 2X as fast as before. The ground wire attaches to the bolt in the lower left corner. Use a 10 mm wrench or ratchet and unscrew the bolt, then sand the washer, and reinstall. I'm planning on running an extra ground wire to a convenient point just for good measure.

View attachment 2805466
Electrical grounding is critical on these vehicles, especially as they get older and the already undersized wires deteriorate. If I were doing a full restoration (though it would be ridiculously involved on a fuel injected vehicle like ours; not impossible though) I would upgrade the entire harness with a system by InfinityBox.

Last edited:
I just tried this fix for the same issue. No improvement.

I need to swap the motor from my 60 and see if it gets better.

I just tried this fix for the same issue. No improvement.

I need to swap the motor from my 60 and see if it gets better.

We had a spare wiper motor in the parts stash and swapped it in. That helped.

Wish there was a good known Toyota swap from a newer vehicle .. like a T100 or something

I may try a rebuilder .. and see if they can juice it up a bit

I may try a place like this out.

Some of the prices for used motors are far out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom