Slow windows and wipers on FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got done with some engine work to the rig, now I’m onto addressing the windows and wipers. Not sure exactly where to start but the windows are slow and the wipers are even slower. Any help appreciated. 1989 FJ62

390442EA-B7E3-450D-83C3-04FB4C556170.jpeg

Sounds like a possible ground issue, but they all tend to get slow at this age. The big risk to your current situation is burning up your wiper motor before you find the solutions. Check your major grounds from battery out. Pull your firewall plugs that are for access to the wiper mechanisms. Clean out any debris/obstacles, then clean and lube the joints. Study up in the FAQ on "permanent fix" to slow windows. Make sure that the rubber blade of each wiper is perpendicular to the windshield. If it is not, the short piece with the two screws that attach it to the wiper arm may be bent. If so, you can pull the two screws, and torque/bend that piece carefully with a couple of pairs of pliers or vise grips. Put back on and check rubber angle, adjust again and recheck until you have it. Good luck.

As I have a 60, can't help with the slow windows...I just crank faster!:)

On the wipers - Do the wipers have slop and move unevenly? You may have a linkage problem. There are plastic parts that tend to break with age. There is a source here on Mud who recently started selling replacements.

Another issue with the linkage are the pivots where the splined shafts the wiper arms mount to exit the cowl. The 30 year old grease, dirt and corrosion create a lot of drag. When I rebuilt my wipers, I cleaned and lubed these and my wipers now move easier and faster.

Some TLC is good for the whole wiper system. You might also consider upgrading to the 4Runner wiper arms also.

For your windows:

I added the relays and the windows and door locks work a whole lot better.

Hope I can piggyback on this thread, maybe get an answer that helps me and the OP: How do you remove the whole linkage?

I'm guessing remove the wiper arms, then the motor/housing thing on the pass. side of the firewall...and slide it all out?

Figured I'd ask first, before unbolting stuff (my wife's 62 has slow wipers).

- Brian

Hope I can piggyback on this thread, maybe get an answer that helps me and the OP: How do you remove the whole linkage?

I'm guessing remove the wiper arms, then the motor/housing thing on the pass. side of the firewall...and slide it all out?

Figured I'd ask first, before unbolting stuff (my wife's 62 has slow wipers).

- Brian
That's pretty much it.

Well my battery and brake light just went on yesterday too. Looks like I’ll start with a battery (left the lights on for a good 3hrs....) then move on from there. Sounds and looks like a lot of cleaning rather than replacing parts which is a good breath of fresh air. If anyone has any how-to videos they can link to fire away. I’m new to working on cars so a lot of this stuff is a foreign language to me. Thank you all for your input and help!

First thing I would suggest is to check all the grounds. Bad grounds do odd things.

Many times grounds are loose, dirty, or worst, cut off or removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom