Builds SLOW 71 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Clmat,

It won't be a show vehicle, but hopefully well built. I'm taking my time and having fun as I go. Mud has been a great help, back in the 70's, I put a chevy in my FJ40, no internet, nobody to call. It's so nice to have a group of people, who understand. If you know what I mean. :)

Don't underestimate

From what you are showing that looks like top shelf work plus the fact that you are doing the work. I know what you mean about the forum helping. Bobm already helped me with advice and some metal so I appreciate all the folks who pitch in to assist others. In 3 years when I retire and have a barn I hope to return the favors. Thanks for the pics and ideas. I would love to see how you built the rotisserie! Just a build thread on that would be cool.
Thanks!

Looks great!!! I need what you have! :cheers:

Looks great!!! I need what you have! :cheers:
Five kids, four grandkids and a whole bunch of hungry animals, what part you want. ;) Thanks though, spent the day scraping and wire wheeling the under side. Getting down to shiny metal! sure is nice standing, rather than looking up at it.

Got the frame all painted up and was thinking about reinforcing the rear cross member. I'm planning on towing a small trailer and making my own bumper with stuff on it, spare tire,etc. That's alot of weight or if I had to use a snatch strap, that cross member could bend. So, has anybody boxed in the cross member or added to it somehow, to beef it up some.

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Bob,

for the confidence. I just think that cross member is a weak link, so while I'm playing around, might as well fix it. Maybe boxing it in and run some DOM tubing, like I did on the steering box, anybody got other ideas.

Very Nice

Scrapdaddy, Very nice work. I can't see why you would not want to over build. You would never have to worry about the strength of your frame. Great looking shop and work!

Thanks clmat,

Trying to do things now, while everything is pulled apart. I really don't have a deadline, so I'm taking my time on this one.

Retirement, you're going to love it!

The shop is not the biggest or the best, but it's mine and I use it, everyday. [ would like to add on :rolleyes: ]

Shop Size

Looking forward to retirement. I currently have a one slot garage that the wife's car owns. What little space left is filled with 28 years of junk, hahahahaha. I am committed to cleaning up and building/having a good shop after retiring! I love seeing the projects all are working on, it gives me ideas for the future.

WOW! Looking Awesome! I wish I could get to all my nook and crannies like that! I built my own tow hitch, nice and high though. I actually cut out the crossmember and rebuilt the whole thing. I'll add a pic tomm... Aaron

looks just like the rottisserie I made for my piggy build! mine is still floating somewhere around socal, not sure where at this point??
Your's is what got me thinking! I didn't have the engine stands, so I just started from scratch. Thanks for the idea, it's been very useful. I made it adjustable, sorta, so my son can put his zuk on it.

WOW! Looking Awesome! I wish I could get to all my nook and crannies like that! I built my own tow hitch, nice and high though. I actually cut out the crossmember and rebuilt the whole thing. I'll add a pic tomm... Aaron
Aaron, The more I think about it, that's what I'm going to do. Maybe use thick wall 2x4 tubing and make my own cross member. Would like to see your setup.

Thanks, Ron

So, not much going on tonight, thought I'd ask you guys about priming the under side. I asked up in the paint thread about which primer to use on the bare metal. I would like to stop any rust in the little places, you can't reach good. I sprayed Rust Encapsulator w/ the long nozzle, into every hidden spot and drilled holes in the floor supports, then sprayed Internal Frame Coating everywhere.
Now what would you use as a primer. I want to spray Lizard Skin products over it, then a bedliner product, to finish it
IMG_1234.jpg

Last edited:
Your's is what got me thinking! I didn't have the engine stands, so I just started from scratch. Thanks for the idea, it's been very useful. I made it adjustable, sorta, so my son can put his zuk on it.

that is so cool! glad my posts helped someone else!

Noah

So, not much going on tonight, thought I'd ask you guys about priming the under side. I asked up in the paint thread about which primer to use on the bare metal. I would like to stop any rust in the little places, you can't reach good. I sprayed Rust Encapsulator w/ the long nozzle, into every hidden spot and drilled holes in the floor supports, then sprayed Internal Frame Coating everywhere.
Now what would you use as a primer. I want to spray Lizard Skin products over it, then a bedliner product, to finish it

fyi, I used zerorust on the whole underside of my piggy, just slathered it on wtih a paint brush, came out nice.

Thanks Guppie,

I forgot about Zerorust, just looked them up and that's what I'm going with. Did you topcoat with anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom