Slee AHC override install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am not an electrician and I do not claim to be one but this may help someone. I also do not claim that this is the correct way but it has worked for me.

I could not find some answers to questions I had around the install of the AHC override so I decided to try and document my process.

Unplug the negative terminal to the battery.

Prior to soldering the connections and reassembling the dash, I recommend testing the unit.

Deciding on the 12v power source was probably the biggest decision you will have to make. I chose the accessory charger next to the cigarette lighter because it was easy to get to. To access, remove the lowest center dash section, unplug the white plug from the rear of the charger and cut the protective sleeve to expose the two wires (red/green=power white/black=ground). I soldered the connections, covered in heat shrink and taped them together. I used approximately 3 ft of wire so that I could have flexibility with mounting options. I also used a waterproof connection at the end of the supplied wires from slee for the power and ground. In the event I change the power source or need to perform maintenance on the unit, I can unplug it rather then cut the wires.
IMG_6205.JPG
IMG_6191.JPG

The AHC unit is above the gas pedal and is accessed by removing the plastic and metal dash from under the steering wheel. You will also need to pull the air duct out. When you find the red/yellow and red/white wires as instructed in the slee instructions you will want to cut them so that you have plenty of room to solder the override to each end of the cut wires. I chose to solder, heat shrink and tape these for a secure and safe connection.
IMG_6196.JPG
IMG_6195.JPG

placement of the switch:
I used a blank accessory switch panel to the left of the steering column.
The LED is ******VERY BRIGHT AT NIGHT****. If you do not plan to use the switch often you may want to locate it out of sight or in a project box. I prefer to have easy access so I will be looking into tinting the bulb with paint or something similar.

This is a simple install but I advise having the correct tools, plenty of time, and a thought out plan.
I hope this helps.
IMG_9618.JPG

prior to soldering the connection and heat shrinking I tested the power as seen below.
IMG_6198.JPG

I ran the unit and wires under the steering column
IMG_9614.JPG

Switch LED at night. A little bright......
IMG_9648.JPG

Great post, Thanks! I was wondering if you had a pic or a clearer description of what is considered "vehicle side" vs. "height control unit side". Thanks!

You will have wires going from the vehicle harness to the height control unit (plug). When you cut these wires in order to splice in the override you will have a vehicle side of the cut wire and a height control unit plug side to the cut wire. I no longer have it but I sketched out the instructions prior to cutting and taped labels to the individual wires so that I had less room for error. Measure twice cut once!

OK, thanks for the info!

@ClassicCityFJ thinking about installing this switch on my 02 LX470. Now that you've had it for a while, I'd love to know your overall thoughts. Are you glad you did it? Do you find that you drive in High a lot? Would love to know your overall impressions.

Thanks!

I enjoy it. I drive in high around town but on any lengthy trip I'll keep it in normal. The ride is pretty rough in high even with re-indexed TB's. I AM glad that I did it. I am also glad I can still lower it to normal mainly due to parking garages. I had a lifted FJ at one point and I could never fit in a parking deck. I would highly advise getting an alignment in high if you plan on keeping it in high. My tires have worn uneven with the little "high" driving I do.
I will replace the system for a non-AHC at some point but I think this is a great cost effective approach.
It's definitely more of an asthetic lift then a true off-road lift in my opinion. While in high if I hit a major bump/rut it will drop to normal and I have to restart the car to get it back to high.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited:
I enjoy it. I drive in high around town but on any lengthy trip I'll keep it in normal. The ride is pretty rough in high even with re-indexed TB's. I AM glad that I did it. I am also glad I can still lower it to normal mainly due to parking garages. I had a lifted FJ at one point and I could never fit in a parking deck. I would highly advise getting an alignment in high if you plan on keeping it in high. My tires have worn uneven with the little "high" driving I do.
I will replace the system for a non-AHC at some point but I think this is a great cost effective approach.
It's definitely more of an asthmatic lift then a true off-road lift in my opinion. While in high if I hit a major bump/rut it will drop to normal and I have to restart the car to get it back to high.
Hope this helps and good luck!
Thanks! Very helpful. I'm thinking I'll go with a standard suspension set up at some point, but my AHC works great currently. I'd love the option to be able to cruise around in high a little more.

Hi, This is a TOTAL shot in the dark!

But does anyone have a AHC Over Ride Height Controller that DOES work, that they could part with?

I have seen others post about the AHC Over-Right Hight Controller from Slee Offload. I will be performing a sensor lift on my AHC equipped 06' LC (roughly an inch and a half in the front and about an inch in the back). My goal would be to ride in 'Low' which would be closer to stock hight while on the highway as I do a lot of highway driving. And then on weekend trips with the family, it would be nice to ride in High on the trails.

I contacted Slee today and learned that they no longer make the Slee Off-Road AHC Over Ride Height Controller.

Does anyone have one or know anyone that has one they are no longer using, maybe because they switch to OME Suspension?

Thank you in advanced!

Last edited:
For bright lights like that I have found that multiple layers of scotch tape can really diffuse the light. Might help you temporarily until you get time to sort something permanent out.

Edit: 2017, probably fixed it by now.

Looking at these. Does anyone know if you can still get one form Slee?

Looking at these. Does anyone know if you can still get one form Slee?

See post # 10 ("I contacted Slee today and learned that they no longer make the Slee Off-Road AHC Over Ride Height Controller")

So I finally bought a 2005 LX470, really wanted a land cruiser but they are a lot more expensive. Anyway, I didn't want the AHC suspension but now that I have the LX I want a way to keep in in High if I want to. Researched and all I found was a Slee over ride switch which they no longer make. I kept researching and figured out that all I need to over ride the AHC is a simple double pole-single toggle switch. I don't need a LED to tell me is the system is on or off. Anyway, I bought a $7 dollar switch and a few wire connectors and used some wire I had laying around. I followed the Slee over ride installation instructions and wired up the new switch. Works great! Under $10 mod lol
IMG_20200619_135522_01.jpg
IMG_20200619_135522_02.jpg
IMG_20200619_082320.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom