Skreddy’s 71 Resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I debated the pertronix but wanted to give the points a shot. As of now it seems to be running great. Fires right up and idles smooth. Working on troubleshooting why none of my gauges but the amps work but was just reading about not having the lights hooked up could cause problems? Temp is pegged hot, oil and fuel both at nothing.

I debated the pertronix but wanted to give the points a shot. As of now it seems to be running great. Fires right up and idles smooth. Working on troubleshooting why none of my gauges but the amps work but was just reading about not having the lights hooked up could cause problems? Temp is pegged hot, oil and fuel both at nothing.

GL 👍🏻

Gauges work! Kept blowing the 5A fuse and finally figured out the alternator power wire was never tightened: sometimes I do too many things at once. Since tightening that and new fuse block installed, the gauges work fine. But..... my front heater core is dripping. About 3 drips out of the heater box a few hours after I shut it off. It was pressure tested but I’m guessing adding heat and pressure took its toll. Out it comes and I’ll send it in Monday to get repaired. Meanwhile, getting the roof cap ready for paint and install. My wife’s birthday is next weekend and I’ve been telling her all along we will take it for ice cream on or around her bday. Maybe just with no roof cap!
FCB69719-468D-4BD6-BAB8-6B7D351A52CB.jpeg
7F75BD5F-F5FD-4852-8589-12CED1A94DF2.jpeg

Yes that is the one from cityracer.

Found my heater core leak. Tiny crack next to one outlet/inlet. Holds air pressure but the slightest movement and it leaks. I’ll see if the local radiator shop can repair it, if not I’ll get one coming from cityracer.
9D98DF39-79D0-4509-AF2E-894BDF3CC727.jpeg

Water pump was leaking out the weep hole. Heater core is out so may as well do the pump while I’m draining coolant. New one on the way. Feels like I’m going backward.

Been a month! Lots of house projects so cruiser hasn’t had too much attention. New heater core and water pump are in and no more leaks. Got the roof cap holes fixed and riveted back onto the rain gutter and seam sealed it all up. Took about 1.5 tubes of seam sealer; SEM 39387. Painted the bezel and top cap last week, did the headliner a couple days ago and top cap is on. Even the courtesy light is working.
For my own or anyone else’s future reference, for the bezel and top cap I used TCP Global single stage acrylic urethane (same as body) in Cygnus White T012 for a 1974; their system didn’t show anything for earlier than that. I bought a half gallon kit and used about 2/3 of it doing 4 heavy coats over white epoxy primer.
2BEC2321-15E6-45B2-91C8-D8A48535E841.jpeg
2FB75714-58B9-4C60-8A91-EDCC59514411.jpeg
42BBA5C7-86FE-484D-BBD0-3774D90BBDFF.jpeg
24E30B8F-B01F-48D4-B144-59D551DFE375.jpeg

Looks great. Where did you buy your paint you mentioned above?
I got it from TCP Global. I’ve used Tamco and SPI in the past but neither could come back with Spring Green when I was painting the body so that’s when I gave TCP a try. When I got to the roof, I figured I’d keep it all in the same brand at.

I got it from TCP Global. I’ve used Tamco and SPI in the past but neither could come back with Spring Green when I was painting the body so that’s when I gave TCP a try. When I got to the roof, I figured I’d keep it all in the same brand at.

That you. We also have Spring Green so this is good intel.

A friend of mine also has a Spring Green (1970) in original paint; garage kept its whole life, minimum fade. I feel like mine looks more “neon” than his, but I think a lot of that has to do with how much glossier modern single stage paint is compared to back then.
A side note; I got a couple very minor chips during assembly and ordered a touch up kit from Automotive Touchup but it’s way off, even though the code is the same. But, it looks identical to another friend’s Fashion Green 40. Pic below of a spare piece I painted on white paper for color comparison.
image.jpg

A friend of mine also has a Spring Green (1970) in original paint; garage kept its whole life, minimum fade. I feel like mine looks more “neon” than his, but I think a lot of that has to do with how much glossier modern single stage paint is compared to back then.
A side note; I got a couple very minor chips during assembly and ordered a touch up kit from Automotive Touchup but it’s way off, even though the code is the same. But, it looks identical to another friend’s Fashion Green 40. Pic below of a spare piece I painted on white paper for color comparison. View attachment 2713709
Just looking at your Spring Green part, it does look a bit different than what I have seen in past, but who knows where the paints and trucks were from.

can you give more details on your riveting tool you made? Or even better, you willing to lend it out? :)

can you give more details on your riveting tool you made? Or even better, you willing to lend it out? :)
Ya man!
First, full disclosure, I copied the idea from an older post I saw. It’s a set of harbor freight bolt cutters. I ground the cutting teeth down and also ground down a set of dies I got for some craft making something that I found on Amazon that had the right diameter dimples and welded them to the bolt cutters. Boom! Done. They work awesome, though the head side shape does make the dimple a little pointier than stock appearance.
As for loaning out, you betcha. I have another top to do at some point but currently no cruiser for it to go on so these will be collecting dust for awhile. PM me and we can figure it out if you’re interested.

Here’s two that show the worst of the “pointy-ness”. 75% of them look normal but some got this little point.
1A90CDD9-CDA2-4E9B-AE23-C08B6D5EF5BC.jpeg
3E3F8714-E277-4CA3-A2BF-5E346AE43495.jpeg

Those look fantastic to me. It'll be a bit before I get to my top...currently last thing planned on my project. But would really like to use them, and get some tips from you. Thanks a bunch...I should come check out your project sometime. I'm not too far away.

Sounds good! Hopefully your workspace has AC if you’re working on it this weekend.

unfortunately no. It is insulated, so the air inside stays cooler for a bit in the morning, but by early afternoon it gets pretty warm. Was just out there, already 75 in the shop. 80 is about my limit in my pampered older age.

Bezel and hubcaps are on, made a list of the last bits before I can call it done. Hoping to get some done on it this week because I’ve got a busy few weeks coming up; we will see.
9C2358A0-9A10-4FB9-BC5F-315AEBE6D072.jpeg
A77A2159-2BB1-4E94-A697-79D93B704618.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom