Since we need one.... The Club Chat Thread!!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really don't wheel that much but I don't know what it is. i've been thinking off & on about selling it to get a pickup which we need but It's like my decision to leave Commiefornia 13 years ago.....once you're out there's no going back(not that I'd want to). When I'm out tooling around in the country I'm happy as can be....until i hear a loud noise! if I sold it I'd have to deal with trouble with a pickup so....I'm hanging on to it for now. I still have all the gears they took out for the locker....I could re-install if I need to. Is it really true that Ty went Jeepy.........?! :rolleyes:

I really don't wheel that much but I don't know what it is. i've been thinking off & on about selling it to get a pickup which we need but It's like my decision to leave Commiefornia 13 years ago.....once you're out there's no going back(not that I'd want to). When I'm out tooling around in the country I'm happy as can be....until i hear a loud noise! if I sold it I'd have to deal with trouble with a pickup so....I'm hanging on to it for now. I still have all the gears they took out for the locker....I could re-install if I need to. Is it really true that Ty went Jeepy.........?! :rolleyes:
It's custom.

1595169507808.png

I has a Stinky-Pinky once........................................:moon:

mobydick I gave up on my aussie locker because I broke the pins and springs, replaced them, broke some again and rounded the teeth. It couldn't handle the 383, 4.11 gears, and 35" tires I guess??

What did you do instead of the Aussie?? Go back to an open diff??

Never had any issues with my Aussie. If not the auto maybe an Eaton electric? I dunno. Given your use id probably just fix the Aussie. Just my 2centa

So I can get new springs & pins if I need them Ty...?? i've not had any troubles until now. You guys put that in for me 10 years ago thereabouts. Is that how long they last? Nevermind....I found them. $30 a set!! damn....if that's my problem that'd be not too bad.

Last edited:
So I can get new springs & pins if I need them Ty...?? i've not had any troubles until now. You guys put that in for me 10 years ago thereabouts. Is that how long they last? Nevermind....I found them. $30 a set!! damn....if that's my problem that'd be not too bad.
Ya, my aussie is still running fine as well after about 10yrs as well. I don't have the 80 anymore, but James does, and havent heard of any issues from him.

I ran a Detroit in the rear of my 60 with a 350 and 35's with no issues. Ran an Auburn LSD up front to provide some slippage before a birf blew, at least that was the theory. All worked well.

I managed to remove and then Aric got me put back together again with new pins and springs. I'm about to finish up adjusting the rear brakes which have always been s***ty. Gotta do some reading and take a close look at the LSPV to maximize the rears. Right now driving around with only the fronts doesn't feel much worse than with all 4 so something is not in it's optimal configuration. ;) Looks like a spacer bracket for the LSPV in in order....??
1596215951687.png
This looks about right! Maybe wire it with some lights too!!

Last edited:
Im an advocate of just eliminating the lspv.

Ime theyre nothing but trouble and only really sounds good in theory.

Tying the rod all the way up "should" get you full rear brake power.

Im an advocate of just eliminating the lspv.

Ime theyre nothing but trouble and only really sounds good in theory.

Tying the rod all the way up "should" get you full rear brake power.
Yup common fix/solution if desired on the 80 series as well. If the bracket is jammed/seized most will just chop off and tie up higher..... or go through the whole delete process with just a T. That is my rough understanding from what I have read.

Yaa....I just disconnected the rod(spring) and tied it up for now. Will now get busy adjusting etc. and see how it ends up. I have never been able to get those brakes to work well....the few "panic....Oh s***" moments have been scary. I'm lucky I have not plowed into anyone.

Yaa....I just disconnected the rod(spring) and tied it up for now. Will now get busy adjusting etc. and see how it ends up. I have never been able to get those brakes to work well....the few "panic....Oh s***" moments have been scary. I'm lucky I have not plowed into anyone.
Wait a sec! 60’s can go that fast? Brakes don’t help off cliffs fwiw. :p

Since the new springs & pins did not eliminate my grinding noise I have a new theory. I noticed that one side of my Tranny mount is broken. I'm thinking when I put a heavy load on the driveline.....the whole thing torques out of position causing the hi-low stick to try and disengage into neutral.......and grinding the gears in the process.

OK....so, you'd laugh if I just TOLD you what my grinding noise actually was! :hillbilly: See if you can guess......without PMing Aric for the answer. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom