Show me your Safety (pics, stories, whatever) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DocuDude

Took me 10 years to find this space
Threads
Another thread I started turned into a safety discussion, but you wouldn't know it from the title.

So let's get it going here in one spot.

What jack stands you using? How many?
What eye protection you wearing?
Have a mask/filter that's comfortable enough to wear all day wrenching?
Have a smart wheel chock idea?

Throw it down in here.

I'll start.
Very basic, but before I drain my oil I get the engine really hot ;)
When I remove the drain plug, I would burn my hand on the initial downpour.
But now I wear disposable latex gloves (300/$9 at costco) and I feel the heat, but the latex gives me just enough protection that it doesn't damage my skin.

Simple safety, but I bet you all have better.

- 12 ton jack stands--beefy and tall enough for the lifted rig.

- Eye pro is USGI Oakley, well worn but still holding on. I went through a few of these overseas and saved a bunch of clear and smoked lenses for fab/shooting now. I make it a habit to wear it almost no matter what I'm doing.

- Don't wear a mask, but I probably should (grinding/sanding/etc.)... interested in hearing what others use.

- Leather work gloves from Home Depot when messing with metal, heavy duty latex or mechanix gloves when trying to keep my hands pretty.

- No ear pro--does anyone wear plugs when using a sawzall or grinder? I probably should...

- Flame retardant coveralls for those serious days (I should probably wear them more, but meh)

I've got a section of rocker panel I cut off during my ute build with some floor on it that serves as a wheel chock... I could probably do better.

I get hurt a bunch because I am too stupid to put on gear. Currently wearing about a quart of monstaliner until the skin it is stuck on sheds.

I've got a shirt and a pair of shorts with monstaliner all over em... they're now "work clothes."

I had a hell of a time getting the monstaliner off my arms and hands after my gloves gave up. I remember a lot of scraping.

It's worth it though!

Good jack stands, would have to check on tonnage but they are 5k+ which is more than sufficient. Usually double up and throw tire under just incase. Chalk tires, obviously, on LC. On my Jeeps I put in 4x4 and TJ I lock axles, sometimes don't chalk tires on TJ b/c no point when locked.

I don't do oil when hot... no point. Wear eye pro if underside is dirty (usually the case) or when necessary. Same glasses I use for shooting, swappable polarized / clear lenses.

+ 1 for protective eyewear....

was just under my car - simply bleeding my brakes / lspv (solo tube / Gatorade bottle method) -
was using a magnetic light attach to frame so I could see in to the abyss that is the lspv -
damn f-ing light fell - cracked me right in my face on my brand new glasses - scratched the f outta my lens....

stooped me too - I even have prescription work googles

Bf

Ear protection and Eye protection.

I'm only 29 and already have terrible tinnitis due to lots of grinding before i realized ear protection would be a good idea.

I like flip flops...

tumblr_mxb9mq4uQZ1rd55rto1_500.jpg

I use only OSHA approved flip-flops.

Likely best to wear steel toe flip-flops. This will reduce the chances of your pedicure getting messed up in the case of a dropped phone type incident.

Pretty much the same as everyone for jack stands, etc. I take it one step further with eye protection though. I got metal in my left eye last year and had to have surgery to get it out, then they went in with a drill to drill the rust out that formed in just a few hours. I wear prescription glasses all the time, so now I use those slide on guards on the stems and a 3M clear face shield when grinding or doing any metal work. I have bad hearing already, so I forget hearing protection most of the time.

When tightening your alternator belt, do not wear safety glasses so you ensure that when the prybar slips, the pointy end stabs between your nose and eye whilst severing a tear duct. Promptly grab the nearest grease covered rag to staunch the flow of blood.

I always wear polycarb eye protection, ears when sandblasting, grinding, etc. and working under the truck. Long sleeves and pants welding or grinding, otherwise shorts and tshirt with flip flops. Mechanix gloves always unless fine work is involved like nuts and bolts then its latex gloves. Always have jack stands and try to foresee pushing or pulling wrenching work to see what happens with things slip to prevent injury and what not. Always wear your common sense and play the "what if game".

Got two nice scars on my stomach from the troublelight bulb contacting me while working with overalls on, but zipped down because it was hot out. Lesson learned get a LED trouble light. Also, don't use your hand as a vice when drilling metal or this could happen...

image.jpeg

Harbor freight 6 ton jack stands (pair) with 3 tons (pair) as a backup if needed.

The only glasses worth bothering with are ones that seal around the edges. Normal safety glasses, the crap will still hit your face (cheek/forehead) and find it's way into your eyeball if you are looking up. It's just gravity. Some contractor swiped my pair, so honestly, I just close my eyes when I'm doing something that requires eye protection. How's that for safety? :hillbilly:

DPG82-11-A_250x0.jpg

i am big on safely. I wear ear protection when using the grinder/cutoff wheel,a respirator when i am spray painting or griding anything other than clean steel, and always eye protection. I bought a dozen of the cheap safety glasses and sprinkled them throughout my garage.... so i can't use laziness as an excuse not to wear them.

you only get 1 set of eyes , take care of em'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom