Should Have known Better. 94 FZJ80 AFM from China (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Against my better sense I decided to gamble on a "reman" AFM from China. I should have just put the 200 bucks into play at the Craps table! At least I could have been entertained. After waiting a month for delivery i received said AFM and it looked ok but the air flow door had poor mobility. Needless to say my cruiser didnt like it and wouldnt idle or accelerate. Now I ask for opinions? My original works ok but I get the occasional stumble/check engine code 31.

Should I ship this crap back to China or could I actually get it rebuilt here?

Thanks Gents
I'll take a hard 8 for $200

Are you talking about your Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor?

94 year does not have a MAF
Thanks you're right, we should get AFM added to the FAQ abbreviations section. At any rate, I pulled mine apart and messed it up 5 years ago; bought a used one from CruiserParts LLC that has worked ever since.

I saw a reference to a guy in South Carolina on ebay that claims he rebuilds them. No affiliation, but it was mentioned in mud.

Send that crap back to liars who sent it to you and put your money into a good used one. Then send your original off to be rebuilt here in the U.S. and then you’ll have a spare.

man people need to stop with pulling the screws. i sold out of them a while back but every time i get a truck in its the first thing that gets sold.
Toyota should have put a hazard sticker on that thing. Mine is working great after my caveman solder attempt last fall.

Why do people pull them apart? Curiosity? "Cleaning"? I mean if its a problem then I would probably take a stab at fixing the electronics but I have a bit more skills in this area than 98% of people I would imagine.

Wow that sounds like a self-congratulatory humble brag.

Why do people pull them apart? Curiosity? "Cleaning"? I mean if its a problem then I would probably take a stab at fixing the electronics but I have a bit more skills in this area than 98% of people I would imagine.

People take the screws out because the rubber boot conceals the connector and that hair thin retention clip is near invisible compared to those two screw heads. I can appreciate the way the 80 was designed for maintenance with basic tools but that setup should be more tamper proof.

98%? Where do your stats come from?

I think most people, like myself, think that if I just remove those two little screws there will be a wire looking sensor in there that you can clean with some CRC cleaner and is part of normal maintenance with newer vehicles. This is true with most OBD2 systems. With the obd1 as in the 94 and older, this is not the case and there is soldered sensors on a circuit board that break as soon as you pull on the plug. Hence, this is what happens and Toyota doesn't make the AFM anymore so the good used market is sought after as a replacement.

Through a lot of trial and error, I was able to solder the three thin tabs connected to the circuit board back together and it worked. There is also a long thin metal arm in there that senses the idle mode. This little arm can also be pulled out of sinc and the cruiser will not idle and will stall. I bent this piece back to where it made contact with the appropriate tab and it worked also. The circuit board and tabs can be seen when the black plastic cover is removed after the sealant is removed. After the fix, my CEL #24 stays illuminated, which is the cold air intake code, but the cruiser runs better than before and idles perfect, so I haven't messed with it anymore.
@ppc helped point this out for me.

IMG_1370.JPG

Last edited:

If you know how to fix these things, then you could become the JimC of the AFM crowd.;)

I don't know how to fix an AFM but if mine broke I would learn how to fix it. I've got the skillset and understanding. And fixing everyone AFM's really doesn't sound that great ;)

I don't know how to fix an AFM but if mine broke I would learn how to fix it. I've got the skillset and understanding. And fixing everyone AFM's really doesn't sound that great ;)
If I was an electrical circuit board kind of guy, I certainly would do these as a part time gig. Seems everyday someone takes their's apart and the used market is very limited and getting scarcer by the day. Someone with your talent ;) should give it a go as a service to Mud members.

OK I'll play, if you've got a broken one send it my way I'll giver a good ol college try. Can't guarantee a fix, but it'll likely get fixed. And if it doesn't then its no more broken than it was before.

Is there a way to check AFM without having to install it? Should the door move easily?
My AFM works perfectly and I'm scared to touch it because I don't want to mess anything up

I have 2 units as backup, one I think I grabbed from @slow95z a few years back and one from China never tested any of them

Is there a way to check AFM without having to install it? Should the door move easily?
My AFM works perfectly and I'm scared to touch it because I don't want to mess anything up

I have 2 units as backup, one I think I grabbed from @slow95z a few years back and one from China never tested any of them
Yes. Section EG-289 of the 94 FSM goes through resistance values for the terminals.

Not a LOT there, but the basics.

I'm running one I got from a junkyard now but its acting up. when I removed it to install the crap one from China the door moved easily. I assume the door should have free movement without resistance.

I'm running one I got from a junkyard now but its acting up. when I removed it to install the crap one from China the door moved easily. I assume the door should have free movement without resistance.
Yes, the door should move freely. Now check the resistance at multiple positions and that will tell you if there's a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom