Shopping, wait for ‘22 tech or buy ‘20 or ‘21? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings. Primary question first, a few others below: I’m looking at GXs. Should I wait until prices drop a bit on the ‘22 so I can get the more modern tech and bigger screen, or save some money and buy a 20 or 21?
Background: I gave my ‘01 LX to my daughter after college and I miss it but with just the wife and me and a small dog, it’s hard to justify the cost and gas mileage of a 200 LC or LX, so looking at the GX. We live in Idaho and ski, bike, hike, drive on a lot of dirt roads, etc. There are several tempting GXs nearby including two around $44k: 21 premium plus w ML stereo, 49k miles; and a ‘20, 28k miles. No ‘22s in the immediate area but some within a few hundred miles around $50k+.
My mechanic is telling me that the CPU and screens are the limiting factors on modern cars’ longevity and to buy the latest tech possible. But, is the ‘22 with bigger screen and Apple Carplay worth several thousand more? It might be over 10-15 years of ownership. I read the Beatsonic thread and would probably do that in a pre-22.
A couple other specific questions - can anyone comment on the ease of putting a 29 inch mountain bike or skis in the back of the LX? I can fit either in our Audi SQ5 with the seats down, but barely, hoping the GX is a little bigger.
Significant differences between 20 and 21 model years? I saw a post about better acoustic glass in the 21 for a quieter cabin, which sounds nice. I looked at the Manuals in the FAQs, but I’m having trouble seeing any significant change from 20 to 21.
Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any input.

I’d like to know too. Im about to buy a GX to replace and 11 year old Outback. Would like to know whats the best buy for 15 years.

I’d like to know too. Im about to buy a GX to replace an 11 year old Outback. Would like to know whats the best buy. I was eyeing 2016-2018s at around 30k but can move up to 50 if they offer meaning benefits.

I’d like to know too. Im about to buy a GX to replace an 11 year old Outback. Would like to know whats the best buy. I was eyeing 2016-2018s at around 30k but can move up to 50 if they offer meaningful upgrades and benefits

21 changes from 20

Power Folding Mirrors added to Premium Plus Package starting with October 2020 production units
• You can get ML and powered 3rd row on a Premium with Premium Plus
• ML shows as standalone for Premium in brochure but not on the Lexus build wizard online
• Heated Steering wheel available on Premium
• Fire Agate Pearl gone
• 2020 Premium 18" is now optional on 2021 Premium. Base and Premium share the same standard rim in 2021
• 2020 Premium 18" wheel is now optional on 2021 Premium. Base and Premium share the same standard rim in 2021.
• Dual-screen DVD Rear-Seat Entertainment System (RSES) is gone as an option
• In disclosures - "3. Starfire Pearl available for an additional charge."
Acoustic front side glass on all models
Auto anti-glare side mirrors are "Driver Side Only" (Previous years included passenger side)

Thanks, Acrad, for the detailed model year differences. I’m wondering if any seem significant to experienced members. To me, the acoustic glass sounds interesting; the heated steering wheel is probably nice, but unnecessary. I’d certainly take ML stereo if I can find it unless people think it causes problems down the road w compatibility.

I have a 13 and we just bought the wife a 20. Since the tech in my 13 with 150k miles is still working, we opted for the pre-22 without the new tech. Of course the price was 10k cheaper for the 20 vs a comparable mileage 22.

with 2nd and 3rd row down, you can fit the bike or skis. If you find 2nd row captains, then the skis will definitely fit. Not gonna have a protection option on the 2nd row for melting snow or bike mud though. (no all weather mats that long). I always liked how Audi and VW did the ski hole in the back seats - super smart.

Thanks, Acrad, for the detailed model year differences. I’m wondering if any seem significant to experienced members. To me, the acoustic glass sounds interesting; the heated steering wheel is probably nice, but unnecessary. I’d certainly take ML stereo if I can find it unless people think it causes problems down the road w compatibility.
Looks like 2020 vs 2022 price differences are around $10K. Not sure the better infotainment and acoustic glass are worth that. I think those are the only real differences between 2022 and pre 2022. All the other stuff you mentioned can be had if you find one with options that you want.

I can't answer the modern screen issue, I'm fine with the ancient one in my '17.

I can't get my size large Ibis Ripley in the GX upright with the front wheel off, even with the seat post down. It's got to be laid down. That restricts what else you can get in there. Maybe with the 3rd row seats removed it'd fit upright.

Greetings. Primary question first, a few others below: I’m looking at GXs. Should I wait until prices drop a bit on the ‘22 so I can get the more modern tech and bigger screen, or save some money and buy a 20 or 21?
Background: I gave my ‘01 LX to my daughter after college and I miss it but with just the wife and me and a small dog, it’s hard to justify the cost and gas mileage of a 200 LC or LX, so looking at the GX. We live in Idaho and ski, bike, hike, drive on a lot of dirt roads, etc. There are several tempting GXs nearby including two around $44k: 21 premium plus w ML stereo, 49k miles; and a ‘20, 28k miles. No ‘22s in the immediate area but some within a few hundred miles around $50k+.
My mechanic is telling me that the CPU and screens are the limiting factors on modern cars’ longevity and to buy the latest tech possible. But, is the ‘22 with bigger screen and Apple Carplay worth several thousand more? It might be over 10-15 years of ownership. I read the Beatsonic thread and would probably do that in a pre-22.
A couple other specific questions - can anyone comment on the ease of putting a 29 inch mountain bike or skis in the back of the LX? I can fit either in our Audi SQ5 with the seats down, but barely, hoping the GX is a little bigger.
Significant differences between 20 and 21 model years? I saw a post about better acoustic glass in the 21 for a quieter cabin, which sounds nice. I looked at the Manuals in the FAQs, but I’m having trouble seeing any significant change from 20 to 21.
Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any input.
Also consider interior/exterior colors. Not sure if there are any color changes that you might miss 2020/21 or 2022/23. Just a thought.
If I were to upgrade to the newer GX, I'd want ALL the bells and whistles, e.g. 360° camera, dynamic cruise control, larger screen, Android play, etc. So I guess I'd be waiting for the newer one. Over the years I've learned to be patient. ;)

I have a 2018 and love it except for the climate control buried in the screen and the tech is definitely ancient [and I don't care at all about tech beyond bluetooth audio and handsfree phone]. I think if buying "today" I'd seriously consider punting up for the modernized interior - it looks a lot better and has the fan speed and temp as buttons instead of in the head unit. Might also wait until the 550 is out and released as values might go down more on the last gen GX

The climate control buried in menus is less of a problem than I thought it would be, and I'm picky about stuff like that. I leave it on auto. When it's hot or cold outside, it does the right thing. It's only when it's about room temp outside that it turns the AC on too hard for me. I don't like cold air blowing on me unless it's really hot out. I think many people would be fine with it. But if I bump the temp up a degree or two with the buttons that makes the hvac settle down and not blow inappropriate cold air. The front and rear defrost are on buttons and I use those often. I haven't had to dive into the menu to adjust fan speed, which I often do on my cars with more manual hvac.

I can't speak for ski's, but here's a couple of photos that may help. The first is the back of my '23 with captains chairs *and the rear seat removed*. As you can see, the CC come with a floor mat for the space between the chairs.

20231229_143830.jpg

Here's a photo of my size medium 29" mountain bike upright in the back. It fits very easily with the third row out, and would fit with the 3rd row present.

20231229_144148.jpg

I normally carry my bike on a 1up rack, but may have a need to carry it inside away from prying eyes. I still have the old mount I built for my last (Ford Escape) company sled, pictured below, and think I'll adapt it to my GX.

20180831_201259.jpg

Mark

Reactions: r2m
I can't speak for ski's, but here's a couple of photos that may help. The first is the back of my '23 with captains chairs *and the rear seat removed*. As you can see, the CC come with a floor mat for the space between the chairs.

View attachment 3520049

Here's a photo of my size medium 29" mountain bike upright in the back. It fits very easily with the third row out, and would fit with the 3rd row present.

Wow, removing the third row and having captains chairs makes a big difference. My GX has a normal bench second row.

Wow, removing the third row and having captains chairs makes a big difference. My GX has a normal bench second row.
Yeah, in the 14 months and 18K I've had the vehicle, one 2nd row seat has been used three times, and the other not at all. I knew that would be the case, and so opted for captains chairs, and removed the 3rd row the first week I had it home.

Mark

Yeah, in the 14 months and 18K I've had the vehicle, one 2nd row seat has been used three times, and the other not at all. I knew that would be the case, and so opted for captains chairs, and removed the 3rd row the first week I had it home.

Mark
Scalded Dog, great Mt bike pictures and nice Yeti, thanks. I can see the utility of the captains chairs. I would definitely plan to remove the third row. My dog likes to sit in the middle of the folded second row so she can see out the front window, which won’t happen with captains chairs, but bike and ski transport might have to win out.

IMG_1071.jpeg

Scalded Dog, great Mt bike pictures and nice Yeti, thanks. I can see the utility of the captains chairs. I would definitely plan to remove the third row. My dog likes to sit in the middle of the folded second row so she can see out the front window, which won’t happen with captains chairs, but bike and ski transport might have to win out.

View attachment 3520334
Fine looking dog!

Mark

Having owned a 2011, 2019 and now a 2022 GX460 I can say that the improvements make for the best GX to date, well maybe until the 550 hits dealer lots in a few months. The acoustic glass does make a slight difference and the new screen is a lot better IMHO. I like having auto high beams and wipers, a digital speedo read out, Apple Car Play and the newer style head lights. This is saying a lot because it's the very first Toyota/Lexus out of the 16 I've owned that I haven't modified in any way short of adding better tires and I am still very happy with it lol. It's a fantastic vehicle for the money and we like it so much that we've decided to keep it for the long haul and use it as our around town beater and work commuter/mileage slut for the foreseeable future. If you can swing the '22 and you plan to rock it for some time to come then I suggest spending a little more for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom