Shop for Diff Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
gernade'd the front diff. i don't think John does diff rebuild?? but will call monday.
any recommendations...

_MG_2473 copy.jpg

I've used south Bay truck and 4x4 (Frank Gilliland is the owner, cool dude) and Yotamasters in Corona. Both have done a decent job for me and prices were reasonable. I've dropped the 3rd off and it takes them a couple of days.

Ouch! Details on how.

Ouch! Details on how.

Supercharger and you've seem him drive through the desert... Do you really need to ask:flipoff2:

Mark, good look with the repair.

Yea I know Nathan!

i took a bad line down a ledge in moab and got pinned at the bottom on my front bumper and a rock. absolutely could not go forward and drive out of it. so, i should have gotten a strap to pull me back a little so i could realign, but tried reverse with front locked and it went. i removed the drive shaft and drive plates and finished the trip in 2wd and did pretty good.

Last edited:
i took a bad line down a ledge in moab and got pinned at the bottom on my front bumper and a rock. absolutely could not got forward and drive out of it. so, i should have gotten a strap to pull me back a little so i could realign, but tried reverse with front locked and it went. i removed the drive shaft and drive plates and finished the trip in 2wd and did pretty good.

Sucks:(

Nuts! :(

Thought you and Phil might have been trying to go UP Heart Attack Hill in AB again! :confused:

Last edited:
yotamasters, Eric will do you right.

Not sure who south Bay truck is? Are they in SD.
Two local shops are MIT and Pro Gear. John at SD Trux no longer does diffs and recommends either.
Yotamaster is within driving range but cost more than SD shops.
Zuk would be nice, read a lot of recommendations for him. but shipping would be a PITA.
likely just use one of the shops here in SD...

Last edited:
Let me know what you find. I may need to have gears installed soon.

i dropped it off at Pro Gear and they say it will be done by Friday. they seem very knowledgeable and friendly. walked me through the details and use only oem for gaskets, seals, etc... gave me the option of oem Koyo or Timkin bearings. Going with Nitro gears.
more $$ than I thought. About $380 in labor plus parts which is about $275 for gear set and $200-250 for install kit.
adds up quick...

Morale of the story...pick yer damn line better next time! :flipoff2: Seriously, feel your pain and sometimes sh!t happens offroad. Risk we all take. Cost of the ultimate fun we do have and most importantly, you got out and got home safely and unharmed and that's what really matters in the long run! :cheers:

Morale of the story...pick yer damn line better next time! :flipoff2: Seriously, feel your pain and sometimes sh!t happens offroad. Risk we all take. Cost of the ultimate fun we do have and most importantly, you got out and got home safely and unharmed and that's what really matters in the long run! :cheers:

yeah, it was pain, but been lucky over the years and never really had any major trail failure. actually, been a little complacent lately which was partly to blame. overall not all that bad, it didn't strand me on the trail and was able to finish two more days of wheeling in 2WD-locked without front drive shaft. so, i will be a little more careful now...

was doing this the day before i broke... it is much stronger in forward direction :)

_MG_2341 copy.jpg

How is their work? I'm thinking of having them install my gears.

Well, I'm picking up the diff tomorrow, but don't know to tell quality of workmanship while just looking at it. Or, if that is actually possible???
They definitely have a lot of business coming in the door, are very nice guys and have competitive pricing.

There should be marking paint on the ring and pinion so that you can see the pattern to verify depth for drive and coast. Other than that you could check the bearing preload to make sure that it is correct and hit the carrier bearing cup bolt with a torque wrench :meh:.

After getting help to set up my rear diff, the front was fairly easy to tackle by myself.

There should be marking paint on the ring and pinion so that you can see the pattern to verify depth for drive and coast. Other than that you could check the bearing preload to make sure that it is correct and hit the carrier bearing cup bolt with a torque wrench :meh:.

After getting help to set up my rear diff, the front was fairly easy to tackle by myself.

good idea. i will pull out the manual and check preload, torque, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom