Shock Absorbers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a pretty simple question. I always use the old bounce test to determine if a shock is any good on a car. But my 78 Landcruiser suspension does not allow me to bounce it. Aside from removing a shock how can I test them on my Landcruiser?

It should only take a few minutes to remove a shock and test it.

Also, depending on how old you think they are it may save time to simply replace with new ones.

There is no need for shocks if the suspension is stuck.

I drive my Landcruiser daily, the suspension is in good condition, there is not a problem with anything stuck. I installed the shocks probably 20 years ago. They were high end Rancho shocks and everything drives great. I was just thinking about how to test them.

Does any of them look oily?

Rancho shocks and everything drives great. I was just thinking about how to test them.
By taking them apart. Or just by driving.

But the suspension is too stiff if you can’t get it move by jumping on the truck.

I have the stock springs . I replaced the pins and bushings several years ago. My shocks are not leaking. I know from experience when you remove shocks many times the bushings fall apart guess that will be the excuse to buy new shocks. I commonly haul 20 bags of wood pellets (800 pounds) and the rear springs compress about 1 inch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom