Builds Shipwreck (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

time to get back to this
oL8eDiAh.jpg

void every warranty
rWO8JJjh.jpg

LqDSBmVh.jpg

changed my mind, again, on the lever
N6WT0u3h.jpg

basically waiting for help this weekend to tighten it up
DC0Kdcwh.jpg

final task... replace the steering joint
xHhD8Yfh.jpg

easy access.. or not
qoSH6aUh.jpg

as you can clearly see... this is a cat
P5OlOQQh.jpg

changing it wasn't terrible. I put a collapsible shaft on the steering shaft - thus, just slide it back, pull the old off, put the new in place... take picture, remove cat, take picture....

at some point I'll cut the old joint apart - I have no idea why it failed and it's important to me to figure that out.... might even take it with me to SEMA and ask Borgeson (quietly).

now the steering box has a hitch in it. for the life of me, I can't figure out why - at least I have 2 weeks before i have to leave for my 4 wheeling trip.... geesh.
since I have to pull it apart anyway, I'm going to put the AN fittings in the box for hydro assist... to be continued.

and just for the record, if I had time, I'd swap in an 80 box....

Last edited:
it's like I have every heim EXCEPT the one I need... Fudge Barnes 4wd
wMvGQSHh.jpg

It doesn't rattle but I know it's loose so need to wait for the right heim
z8iIZ80h.jpg

I've been meaning to make the gas cans held with more then hopes and dreams
HwbxFJbh.jpg

StKiskbh.jpg

and to answer the question, that large, red thing is what's goin on if the parts don't arrive.. that said, I'm hitting farm stores tomorrow.

finally got the parts
annCWfnh.jpg

it drives fantastic, runs better then it ever did.... sure, there's a transmission noise but it's not all the time so it's fine... F I N E.... I'm going to send it. I have a spare
before I moved, I replaced 2 trailer tires - one of the old ones was losing air so I simply got 2 new tires and now have a decent spare
3sxjUl1h.jpg

worth the peace of mind.... anyway, Thursday I head out

really excited to run the Rubicon again... dang it's been awhile... last time was 91/92.

go down the picture of me winching... I did remove the little that was left trying to dig my way out...

1400 miles, 3 days, 1 day on the Rubicon.... and I broke it. There, the tl;dr.
home
gaRc8QY.jpg

much fresher when I left. I put the top on, mostly because it was supposed to rain - which it didn't at South Lake Tahoe, but pretty much the Oregon border and north... wet.
1GvB5Us.jpg

met up with my friends in California... if the Jeep looks familiar - look back, I wheeled in the snow with him pretty often.
Q6UOrVY.jpg

but he moved to California - so here we are.
while I haven't convinced him to get a FJ40 (he'd love one) he does have a sweet ZR2 diesel Colorado - which is the unrecognized hero of all of this... 100k miles so far, 13 mpg average and I think the slowest I pulled a hill was 45 mph....
Got there Friday afternoon, died on their couch for a couple hours, went to BBQ in downtown Folsom. Outside of the Johnny Cash song - I had no idea where it was... cool little berg.
BHdJrpmh.jpg
Unloaded at the parking lot at Ice house dam.... really wish I didn't park below.... because it's like a mini-Rubicon getting your tow rig and trailer out of the lot....
GwQ6g5Ch.jpg

QHc53Uih.jpg

met up with John's soon-to-be son-in-law... really really cool SAS Colorado
dUmS7Jnh.jpg

onto the trail
WgHVELfh.jpg

naP6mSrh.jpg

just before things started going pear shaped
eIONxuTh.jpg

think the SIL is going to fit in just fine (more on that in a bit because the story there isn't over)
ZHCo5K1h.jpg

got some nice shots of me trying to stand it on its front bumper
y86J1OHh.jpg

it does look good
RHSDqgYh.jpg

and flex
vS8Xuchh.jpg

f5ltwtch.jpg

Luigi is a good lab, but I think he was trying to find a new owner after bouncing on the trail
4gsW4SAh.jpg

mind you, this is before the tough stuff starts.... and he's at 99% to get through this
Hm5GW7Ih.jpg

random pics
067wRZ7h.jpg

John standing his TJ on its bumper
TvCK2uHh.jpg

more pictures in a bit of the damage, but in a stupid simple spot the need for a welder and a mistake I made in assembly ended my run in... 2 miles... that's what I did.... took 5 hours
xjQNghoh.jpg

this is fix one, later pictures will show with Gorilla tape
F5VO7wTh.jpg

so I turned around and another guy from another group was going out and offered to help if needed... he's there in the front... this is me trying to pull at tree over because I had to winch off a rock
DpV0uq1h.jpg

I couldn't have hit this rock and more wrong
7FNZIb4h.jpg

the trail fix
m1qYLnxh.jpg

with gorilla tape
2rWMQpPh.jpg

the problem
OqinPfeh.jpg

IrPtbK1h.jpg

as it was, it almost came apart again
so... high lift handle to brace the cross shaft, zip ties to hold it to the shafts, then a ratchet strap to hold it all together.... what was really cool and a shout out to all the people out there, I basically got to stand and watch in my "we are welders" (irony, love it) shirt. the guy said he'd done it before and I believe him.... neat people, nice weather.

the broken parts - the weld literally pulled apart
AMBI8B8h.jpg

what I did wrong was I should have drilled and plug welded the adapters in place
5WyTDZHh.jpg

why didn't I? simple, some bungs you cannot do that with
GnWDlvEh.jpg

if you weld the one on the right, it'll foul the threads.... not just that but it will almost instantly rust then fusing the threads together and ending any adjustability you expect
but still, I didn't plug weld, and I should have. whoops.
with that said, the fixes, also the steering column started moving in the shaft - so I need to resolve that issue for once and for all (read, weld that bastard)
300Pujuh.jpg

and there's a hitch in the steering - so figure that out (thought I'd fixed it)

what's to come is an onboard welder (which is kind of dumb since I've never needed one and have wheeled for 40 years).... ah well, whoever buys it from my estate sale can take it out of its box
so it's fixed... this time, it'll break something else
Cdkw9zXh.jpg

I'm also going to complete the hydro-assist steering. I know how, need to order the ram - and that will help with this as well because it'll put less stress on the cross shaft/box/frame.

and the last bit.... their phone is still going to voice mail.... they may still be on the trail.... to be continued

You hardly got past gate keeper :rolleyes:. That sucks

You hardly got past gate keeper :rolleyes:. That sucks
Yep. 1.1 miles from the truck. But I also made a half dozen new friends...
Friend did make it home last night, lots of damage but none was a catastrophic failure.
And correction, not Son in Law, family friend and his dad.

The Colorado towed that pretty good huh ? it's a diesel ? Its alot of effort to load, tow & go, A+ for effort, bummer you didnt get more trail time, look slike you had weather on your side.

Why not just tap the right size tube and not have any weld to break ?
This was more then 7 years ago (when I built it) and if I remember correctly, I took the 'easy' button because I didn't have the taps... after all, the inserts cost less then the tap... and the rub on all of that, I think I did have the taps... correction, I know I had those taps but where they went in the 20 or so years since I used them before is something only God could inform about. That said, if I break it now... it'll be one hell of a story.

The Colorado towed that pretty good huh ? it's a diesel ? Its alot of effort to load, tow & go, A+ for effort, bummer you didnt get more trail time, look slike you had weather on your side.
it is a 4 cyl. diesel I'd love a full size, this thing weighs 5800 lbs dry, which puts it at about the same weight as a squarebody truck - but with more power and about twice the torque.... Other then rain and snow when I went through Burns Oregon, it was good travel weather*... I was concerned - but, if fuel economy is any indicator, pulling my Corvette in my enclosed trailer is a harder pull. What really impresses me with it is the 25-30 mpg that it does without the trailer.

*and feathers on that. I raced at Thunderhill in March of last year (thus enclosed trailer with my Corvette), the 76 miles from Madras Oregon to Biggs Junction Oregon (goes over a mountain) took 5 hours because there was ice on the ground and freezing fog in the air... yesterday, barely 1 1/2 hours - and that was with a 15 minute Luigi-ball-chase break in Shaniko. That was 'bad'

but wait, there's more
TtcCTOZh.jpg

first, they made it back late last night

however,
wait, you'll say, that joint was brand freaking new when you left. How many miles did you put on it before it failed?
O2P8N03h.jpg

Summit came through and replaced it - and I'll void the warranty by tacking the caps on... this is BS. I was under the impression (obviously wrong) that going to u-joints was the stronger option....
UQ8TiyXh.jpg

yeah, the caps just fell off
4XvqyzEh.jpg

and for the record... this is who to avoid
Uur680th.jpg

the old joint
note the screws holding the caps in place?
fcPL8Klh.jpg

lasted 4000 miles v. 1 mile
in other news, panduit ties are not what they used tobe
s5WhiZVh.jpg

and in yet other news.... occasionally the rear signals would stay on dimly. Couldn't figure out why - obviously a ground issue but from where?
the steering column. Over time there wore a bare spot so it ended the problem - but moving the column around and suddenly the light issue was back.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom