Builds Shipwreck (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got all my stuff done. Had not run this well ever. Ready for a trail run. Saturday? Might hit Evan's Creek before it closes for the season?

DSC_0034.JPG
DSC_0034.JPG
DSC_0041.JPG
DSC_0043.JPG

@SuperBuickGuy Nice build! I read in the beginning you said you put on a transfer case brake(the Wilwood caliper). I was wondering how it worked out? Do you have any more photos of it? How it holds? Thanks

I thought the oil lines radiating from the cap was modern art. Hmmm.

anti-rust for the wheels.... I think it's got an adequate coating of the purple stuff now - but do stay tuned, I'll be sure to post if it needs more protection now that a source of protection has been removed..... so what's the update on the complete rebuild of the drive system on yours?

Parts on order. Should be here before the weekend. I will have to fab up a new shackle mount bracket. I have some steel I can use for the body and I plan to salvage the original tube.

anti-rust for the wheels.... I think it's got an adequate coating of the purple stuff now - but do stay tuned, I'll be sure to post if it needs more protection now that a source of protection has been removed..... so what's the update on the complete rebuild of the drive system on yours?

Rogue Fabrication makes all sorts of cool stuff, are in Oregon so quick shipping, and I need a tube bender. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. I just have one thing to say before we start **** FedEx. They are the most backstabbing, worthless group of a company there is... the short is there was a cold wind blowing up to where their dangly bits were and they didn't deliver to my house.... and didn't knock on the door to get a signature (presumably because it didn't want to haul a 100# box up 3 stairs)... yeah, I have a guess where we'd find "him" and that he drives a Jeep....

However, now that that annoyance is done...
bits

base plate

instructions... funny, the first picture, they are on the very bottom of it - after the annoyance of delivery I was holding my breath hoping that I didn't have to try to find assembly instructions on google.

assembly begins

washers welded on

and starting to go together... tomorrow wheeling, but I should have enough time to finish dry assembly

We survived another day of wheeling.... drove 60 mph down the freeway and had an absolute blast - I really can't wait to get radials on this and perhaps a TBI that doesn't leak (found my fuel smell, Steve), oh yeah, and I need to redo the throttle cable after a trail fix today.... but still - a lot of fun.
Survival

where we turned around.... if I'd turned around you'd see an imprint of my winch shackle in a 5' snow bank where I tried to blast through... nope, we could have gotten through, but around this corner is all avalanche country and there's a really high risk this weekend where we were - so the attempt was half-hearted other then that - it goes where I point it :)

So after the last run, there were several issues that I simply need to get addressed. one was a persistent fuel smell, another the exhaust leak, the 02 sensor (again) is acting up, and I've always thought this thing gets terrible mileage for the set up...

I've not been a fan of the Holley replacement TBI, but it was what I had and my hope of a replacement either being found (I have one, somewhere) or found at a swap meet just wasn't happening so today I went to the wrecking yard, spent $40 on these

the issue with the holley (the biggest issue) is the way they hold the injectors in place. GM used a bunch of screws to hold them down, the Holley just uses the air cleaner hold down.... to say it's inadequate is an understatement. It's worse thing is it doesn't stay sealed - it will do a nice spray pattern for a bit, but it will dribble and drip.

I cleaned up the TBIs, picked what looked like the best (it's the newest) and slapped it on

and I think the IAC is sticking, but it runs again (more messing with tomorrow)

which brought me to an issue or two I didn't realize
the is the old base gasket.... I think it's been leaking

back side doesn't look bad but see how close the witness mark is to the hold-down bolt? one of the bolts has crud from where it's been leaking up the bolt.... vacuum leaks galore

which I was all ready to take the blame for until I saw this

Holley uses a larger butterfly, it's been hitting but what's worse is that would create a tortured path for air and fuel to flow into the motor..... and of course, vacuum leak, uncontrolled fuel entry and I am hoping that I've found the source of what's killing my O2 sensors.... we will see, first step is reconfigure the throttle cable the replace the IAC....

What Holley TBI are you running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom