Sheila's evisceration and birth of an HJ62 -> Tofudebeest (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone have a 2H fan? We broke a blade on mine when we lifted the motor and the fan from the 62 is about half again as deep. Unless I modify it or something the 62 fan is too deep and it hits the fan belt.

In case you are having trouble envisioning this, note the yellow line on the photo. This is the 2H fan's depth. On the 62's fan, that yellow line is almost twice as long.

NEVERMIND. I just bought one from 4WheelAuto in Edmondton ($30). I love those guys.
fan.JPG

Last edited:
Planning on using everything stock, when I can. So far the only modifications apparent are the crossmember will need to be moved forward and either welded in the new location or the frame will have to be drilled/tapped.

I have not (nor am I knowledgable enough to) assessed the P/S, A/C, etc. for reinstallation. The pedal bucket MAY also be a problem, as we're not sure yet if both sides are stamped on the donor rig or if the bucket from the 62 will work.

Last edited:
The pedal bucket MAY also be a proble, as we're not sure yet if both sides are stamped on the donor rig or if the bucket from the 62 will work.

Tofudity,

The pedals are arranged in the same order on rhd and lhd vehicles.

I used a 81 bucket in my 88.

Both rigs were lhd drive.

Pm'd you

edit: although the pedals are in the same order

the buckets are different ...... better call James for a used one!

Thanks 47th

Last edited:
I hope you are right. It will save us some serious time, (note the pronoun useage). If not, it won't be me saying "I told you so".

So, is the BJ62 called "Dog House"?

Last edited:
I got it. "To get the pedal assembly into position you have to remove the instrument cluster and unbolt and lower the steering column and unbolt and suspend the brake master cylinder."
This part is done, (Thanks Al).
"I used a Greenlee punch to make the hole for the master cylinder. There is no guesswork for doing this because the hole positions are stamped onto the firewall for the master cylinder and the 2 bolt holes."
Yeah...
But, remember, the donor pedal bucket is from a RHD. You all are saying that it can replace the LHD pedal bucket from the 62? Or am I just moving over the clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder???

Officially confused.

Last edited:
You all are saying that it can replace the LHD pedal bucket from the 62?

Or am I just moving over the clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder???

Officially confused.

You are moving over the clutch master, and the pedal bucket.

You will have to bend a new hard line from the clutch master.

This line connects to a soft line.

The soft line connects directly to the slave.

You will need to weld on the metal tab from shelia's firewall as a connection point.

This tab allows you to attach the hard line to the soft line.

All auto parts store sell hard lines in various lengths and sizes.

You should be able to reuse your soft line.

Last edited:
Anyone have a 2H fan? We broke a blade on mine when we lifted the motor and the fan from the 62 is about half again as deep. Unless I modify it or something the 62 fan is too deep and it hits the fan belt.

In case you are having trouble envisioning this, note the yellow line on the photo. This is the 2H fan's depth. On the 62's fan, that yellow line is almost twice as long.

NEVERMIND. I just bought one from 4WheelAuto in Edmondton ($30). I love those guys.

Dan in Edmondton just called, the fan that was in the 2H bin was actually a 3B fan and will not work. So, still looking...

Use the whole FC and Fan from the fj62.

I spoke with Dan about that. He felt that that option was unadvisable. The cooling ratings for that one are not as good as for the diesel, and with the diesels, cooling is the name of the game. He said and I quote: "I have never seen a 3B or 2H fail from anything other than a faulty cooling system".

I spoke with Dan about that. He felt that that option was unadvisable. The cooling ratings for that one are not as good as for the diesel, and with the diesels, cooling is the name of the game. He said and I quote: "I have never seen a 3B or 2H fail from anything other than a faulty cooling system".

Much more than you expect due to overfueling .. in many times.

Bitches, I have news...
Pedal bucket swap no workie.

P1010050.jpg

60 pedal bucket (RHD)

P1010052.jpg

Taken from above. Note angled piece that mounts to the dash/cowl to conform to the angle of the cowl on that side of the vehicle. Pay careful attention to the protrusion on the top left side of the bucket (with the bolt and nut sticking out). Note that this cup is welded on to the bucket. It has three weld spots holding it on to the bucket on this side. Three similar weld spots are on each of the two other sides of that cup.
P1010054.jpg

Note the four threaded nutcerts where the bucket attaches to the cowl, directly behind the instrument cluster. That is a welded on panel...
P1010056.jpg

Compare sides. See, no extra panel welded on, hence no nutcerts to take the bucket? See different angle, even if it had such a provision. The bucket is not universal, but sided...
P1010057.jpg

Business end of the 60's bucket, Now you can see how this cup is a provision to brace the clutch pedal and to provide two places where the pedal pivot shaft are supported...
P1010058.jpg

Better angle.
P1010059.jpg

Better still, up in there. You can imagine the other side of the clutch pedal cup with tabs turned out and where the spot or tack welds are... Further down, note the fixed threaded bolts that go through the firewall to take the master cylinder.
P1010060.jpg

See the small hole, center of photo but up about an inch? That takes one end of the shaft on which the clutch pedal pivots. The other end of the shaft will be supported by the hole in the cup that is getting moved over. Now see the pre-stamped large center hole on the firewall for the master cylinder and the two master cylinder mounting holes that are gonna need some bolts...

See a pedal cup missing???

So...I will cut the clutch pedal support cup/bracket off of the old pedal bucket and drill holes at the weld spots and bolt it in its new home with at least three bolts. I can tack weld it in later if desired.

Last edited:
You are moving over the clutch master, and the pedal bucket.

You will have to bend a new hard line from the clutch master.

This line connects to a soft line.

The soft line connects directly to the slave.

You will need to weld on the metal tab from shelia's firewall as a connection point.

This tab allows you to attach the hard line to the soft line.

All auto parts store sell hard lines in various lengths and sizes.

You should be able to reuse your soft line.

I got in there and saw all of this. Looks pretty easy (except for the moving over of the pedal bucket).

Last edited:
As I was reading through the two pages of this thread I was thinking that the pedal bucket is not the same on LHD/RHD vehicles and wasn't going to work, and so it is. This was also the case, to my surprise, on my HJ47 which I converted from RHD to LHD - the pedal buckets are different, and not interchangeable, and the pedals themselves are bent differently to clear around the steering column.

Can you source a LHD pedal bucket with the clutch fitted - or is the firewall problem really the hitch?

Looks like fun!

yes

Can you source a LHD pedal bucket with the clutch fitted - or is the firewall problem really the hitch?

Of course I could, but that would cost $ probably. If I can find one in less than a week, I'll go that route...The firewall shouldn't be any problem at all. Just cut the hole and install the bolts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom